The UEFA European Championship 2020 Thread

Day

Did the Turkish coach swap notes with Rooney? Such a lacklustre performance from a team many tipped to impress.

Does anyone miss the previous format? For me, it was much better and much higher stakes. It meant that teams had to perform from minute one.

In the current format, teams start playing for draws more and more. I hope Hungary, Ukraine, North Macedonia and others don’t fall into the ‘5 points might be enough for the last 16’ trap. I hope they actually go for it.

It was painful watching Turkey tonight.

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

Did the Turkish coach swap notes with Rooney? Such a lacklustre performance from a team many tipped to impress.

Does anyone miss the previous format? For me, it was much better and much higher stakes. It meant that teams had to perform from minute one.

In the current format, teams start playing for draws more and more. I hope Hungary, Ukraine, North Macedonia and others don’t fall into the ‘5 points might be enough for the last 16’ trap. I hope they actually go for it.

It was always harder to get out of a group in the Euros than the world cup.  Typically each group had 3 teams you'd expect to find in the worlds top 20 international teams and one just outside.  I'll be watching selective games in the group stage to be honest.

14 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

It's not even 5 points though. 4 points would almost definitely be enough. They will all try and bore a point against the better teams and hope to beat the other worst team.

Actually, 3 points and an ok goal difference could be enough too, especially 3 draws. Didn't N. Ireland do that last time?

There is little incentive to go for it against the best teams. Good to see Turkey concede 3 whilst trying to do that. 

13 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

It was always harder to get out of a group in the Euros than the world cup.  Typically each group had 3 teams you'd expect to find in the worlds top 20 international teams and one just outside.  I'll be watching selective games in the group stage to be honest.

16 teams also makes the qualifiers more exciting too.

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

England would ask far more from Italy though. We've only seen how good Italy are going forward. Their left side has had total freedom and even though Spinazzola or Insigne could be MotM they were wasteful.

Turkey couldn't even make a decent set piece. 

Exactly I'm not sure whether Italy were that good, Turkey were so poor. Didn't create a single chance all game. No idea what to do when they had the ball. Couldn't defend either. Just awful. Italy's centre backs had literally nothing to do all game. Turkey didn't expose their lack of pace in midfield or defence. When Italy face a team who can actually play, we will see. They're a good side no doubt but there's no reason why England couldn't beat them.

Italy looked good didn’t they, Mancini is a winner and has got them believing is that 29 games unbeaten now? .  They will be there and there abouts at the end. Actually if we (England) don’t win it I think they will. 

49 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Italy looked good didn’t they, Mancini is a winner and has got them believing is that 29 games unbeaten now? .  They will be there and there abouts at the end. Actually if we (England) don’t win it I think they will. 

I think Italy have a far better pedigree than we do at turning up and putting in good performances against the top teams. 

The question for me is whether they can keep up the pressing intensity. Look at how we faded in the WC the further on we went in the tournament. 

6 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I think Italy have a far better pedigree than we do at turning up and putting in good performances against the top teams. 

The question for me is whether they can keep up the pressing intensity. Look at how we faded in the WC the further on we went in the tournament. 

Yeah agree with that, but they do look like that have a certain something this time round (however I’ve deducted all this from one game so probably not the best analysis ?)

2 minutes ago, ziggyram59 said:

Looking forward to watching Belgium tonight hopefully they can hammer Russia. If we can't win it (England) then I would love them to win the tournament got some great players. Best of luck to Wales as well. 

Belgium must be up there as one of the best footballing nations not to win anything. 

Had cracking sides in the 80s and came close, as they did in wc 2018 

21 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Belgium must be up there as one of the best footballing nations not to win anything. 

Yes without a doubt, obviously got to fancy France as a strong contender. Think England might go out in last 16 if they win there group because they meet 2nd in group F which could be Germany or Portugal. 

2 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Better side v England in 1990 wc (not sure how we won that game to be honest) but hey, if you cannot score...

Edited by TimRam