The UEFA European Championship 2020 Thread

Day

I tend to watch international football as a neutral, but I think England did well, they had a pretty solid defence, mixed with a reasonable midfield and attack for that level. 

Yes they had a lot of luck but they made the best of their situation as well. Eventually they just came up against a mixture of playing a better team and their luck running out. The best team won in the end.

Many England fans obviously won’t agree, but I think it’s a shame the Spain v Italy game wasn’t the final. That was such an absorbing and brilliant game and a worthy spectacle for a final. Last night was also good, but in as a tension/thriller, not so much a footballing spectacle!

2 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Not sure if it's been said on here, but how good was Declan Rice last night? I've liked that sort of player ever since we had Thorne in 13/14.

if only he had a left foot....

Was fun when he absolutely wellied a clearance down the park and Sterling glared at him as though he was expecting a dinked cushioned 15 yard pass......?

8 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

if only he had a left foot....

Was fun when he absolutely wellied a clearance down the park and Sterling glared at him as though he was expecting a dinked cushioned 15 yard pass......?

I think you're being overly optimistic if you're expecting me to remember something as tiny as that. I had my first Carling at 12?

Edit: To clarify, I meant 12 noon, not 12 years old!

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

28 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I think you're being overly optimistic if you're expecting me to remember something as tiny as that. I had my first Carling at 12?

Edit: To clarify, I meant 12 noon, not 12 years old!

Didn't touch a drop yesterday. 

Mainly because I was carrying a colossal hangover following a pub crawl of Wimborne on Saturday... ?

9 hours ago, Beetroot said:

It was a joke, he's a very good boy x

Apologies for sticking my nose in.

I had absolutely no reason to suspect anything other than you just joking, so not even sure why I mentioned it.

In my defence, it was the first time in decades that I was actually tense/nervous/excited in the run-up to an England kick off, so I'll put all the blame on my nerves, you will hopefully accept such a feeble excuse, and the two of us shall never utter mention of it again!  Ever!

Carry on jesting, you... erm... jester, you!  ?? ?

7 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Southgate's stated that the players taking the penalties were the best during practice, so he had no problem with the younger players taking pens before the more experienced players. This is all well and good but  out of the three youngsters why did he have the youngest and least experienced player at number five. The last penalty is sudden death. This is the position that puts the most pressure on any of the first five players. 

The last penalty is not always sudden death.If we'd scored the previous 4 it would be a dead rubber.

6 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Footballers often say themselves that younger players play with no fear and the older ones get more nervous.

No one really knows who will be able to take the pressure in a moment like that.

Maybe Southgate was hoping the 5th penalty would be a dead rubber...and wouldn't have even been taken.

I really enjoyed that tournament. 

The refereeing was excellent as was the application of VAR. UK referees take note....

It was brilliant seeing fans back in stadiums but the multi nation hosting doesn't work. 

The standard of football and competitiveness was surprisingly good, I can't remember too many countries being negative. 

Italy probably deserved to win overall, too many other fancied countries blew hot and cold. 

As for the home nations, Wales got as far as they probably targeted. They are really going to miss Bale and Ramsey when they retire. 

Scotland's campaign was a decent performance, a good performance and a rubbish one. Hopefully lessons leant for future tournaments. The emergence of Gilmour could be a game changer. (exactly the type of player England missed last night)

England did well to get to the final and could only beat what was put in front of them. As an outsider, I have to say they were functional and very effective, if a bit dull.

Southgate made them difficult to beat by shielding his defence in the knowledge one of his forward players could grab a goal.The gamble paid off until last night. 

Why didn't Calvert Lewin come on to stretch the Italian defence in the 2nd half I'll never know. 

There's a very good, young squad there for future tournaments. Foden, Grealish and Sancho need more game time in the starting 11. 

Can we bin that god awful Atomic Kitten song now? ?

Roll on the new season. ?

10 hours ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

It's not a failure but I'm not sure Southgate should be lauded too much because for me he's still a negative manager and this squad could have played alot better offensively, I wouldn't say this team is as good as the 2004 squad by any means just we played stronger opposition and the standard of top level football in general is alot lower than what it was in the early 2000s. 

So the squad isn’t as good as the 2004 squad….? Ha ha that’s the best post ever. They didn’t get close to achieving what this squad has already achieved. 
And you do know that….

Darius Vasseli, Emile Heskey,Kieron dyer, Ian Walker, Owen Hargreaves, Nicky butt, Jamie carragher, Phil Neville, Lesley king, Paul Robinson, Wayne bridge were all in that squad…?

I would say the Only player that would get In this England team from that squad might be Ashley Cole(and that is hard on Shaw) and maybe one of the centre half’s, but again I wouldn’t really say that was the case…Wayne would probably get in ahead of Kane, but that again is a tough one to call, the rest of them wouldn’t get anywhere near the first team 

48 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

So the squad isn’t as good as the 2004 squad….? Ha ha that’s the best post ever. They didn’t get close to achieving what this squad has already achieved. 
And you do know that….

Darius Vasseli, Emile Heskey,Kieron dyer, Ian Walker, Owen Hargreaves, Nicky butt, Jamie carragher, Phil Neville, Lesley king, Paul Robinson, Wayne bridge were all in that squad…?

I would say the Only player that would get In this England team from that squad might be Ashley Cole(and that is hard on Shaw) and maybe one of the centre half’s, but again I wouldn’t really say that was the case…Wayne would probably get in ahead of Kane, but that again is a tough one to call, the rest of them wouldn’t get anywhere near the first team 

Rooney in 2004 was miles better than Kane today. A young Lampard, Scholes and Gerrard miles better than what we have now, Terry and Ferdinand pure class defenders, only Sterling, Walker and probably Rice for defensive balance would get into a combined X1 of the two eras. It was a better side for sure just not utilised that well and as I said there was better opposition.  King and Bridge were decent players tbf nothing to laugh at, Heskey was probably about equal if not slightly better than Calvert Lewin back then. 

Edited by Marriot Ram99

10 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

I *think* Foden had been carrying an injury, but in any case other than the first 10 minutes he was pretty poor in the opener. i have no problem with him playing Mount tbh.

I like Mount as a player but he had a poor tournament, I'm confident Foden would have done more if he played in a deeper role as a 8 Iniesta style rather than outwide.