Best Known names for clubs

Woodley Ram

55 minutes ago, 2tups said:

Compared to their jump jockey kit, thought their nickname was pretty straight forward. ? 

Clyde being the Bully Wee, now that’s quirky.

Ah yes, Scotland, the Gable Endiers and the Red Lichties........and here's few. The Blue Brazil. Mother of God.

http://www.midfielddynamo.com/clubs/clubs_nicknames.htm

Edited by Phoenix

On 31/05/2021 at 11:20, Woodley Ram said:

whilst in the shower this morning I got to thinking what clubs are known for their, for want of a better word, nick names.

I thought the strongest were the following

Spurs

Rams

Hammers

Owls

I thought that most are known my the names of the club or even a shortened version such as Man Utd etc but although most clubs have a nickname few are known by them 

I’ve been a STH at West Ham for 4 years and I’ve never heard anyone refer to them as The Hammers anymore. It’s the Irons and even the official screen says COYI.   

25 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

Well it’s not Derby but it is just four Tube stops away and for over 65s a ST is £150!

The pitch is so far away I hope the over 65s don't suffer from diminishing eyesight.

On 09/06/2021 at 18:12, Turk Thrust said:

I’ve been a STH at West Ham for 4 years and I’ve never heard anyone refer to them as The Hammers anymore. It’s the Irons and even the official screen says COYI.   

Do they still have a band that plays rousing music before the match, including a finale of 'I'm for ever blowing buubles', a song that I think we should adopt. 'Just like my dreams they fade and die'.

A mate of mine from Buxton moved down that way, late 1960's and played in the band. I met him by accident on the tube and when he found out I was living in Upminster at the time, tried to get me to join. Main bonus, if such it could be called, was watching the match for free, but I declined. They had some good players then, (the team, not the band), especially Trevor Brooking.

4 hours ago, Phoenix said:

Do they still have a band that plays rousing music before the match, including a finale of 'I'm for ever blowing buubles', a song that I think we should adopt. 'Just like my dreams they fade and die'.

A mate of mine from Buxton moved down that way, late 1960's and played in the band. I met him by accident on the tube and when he found out I was living in Upminster at the time, tried to get me to join. Main bonus, if such it could be called, was watching the match for free, but I declined. They had some good players then, (the team, not the band), especially Trevor Brooking.

Yep they still have the song but a record not a live band. It’s hardly a rousing song to get the blood up is it “I’m forever blowing bleeding bubbles” My nearest team is the Orient, a lovely little family club with a supporters club bar that has won CAMRA awards. I go there now and again, once wearing a Rams shirt and didn’t have to pay for a drink all night. 

17 hours ago, Turk Thrust said:

Yep they still have the song but a record not a live band. It’s hardly a rousing song to get the blood up is it “I’m forever blowing bleeding bubbles” My nearest team is the Orient, a lovely little family club with a supporters club bar that has won CAMRA awards. I go there now and again, once wearing a Rams shirt and didn’t have to pay for a drink all night. 

It's good that these 'lesser' clubs continue to survive, but for how much longer, we wonder. I suppose a lot depends on the club's ambitions.

43 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Was not it to do with the gas works at Eastville when they played there.. It’s an IKEA now I believe ?

029CBF19-8050-41E3-869D-E4AED57372D1.jpeg

True. I know a guy who's 'gashead', as they're known. Not sure about the IKEA. I'll ask him.

16 hours ago, David said:

So, no Red Devils?  No Black Cats? No Foxes?

I thought Bradford were Bantams, not Coventry?

Never heard The Dogs being referred to as "Foresters" before... nor their neighbouring Magpies being referred to as Lambs!

Always thought the Hammers were officially The Irons.

Looks like The Hornets have kicked Burton out of the league, and nicked their nickname to boot!  

The Only team on the outskirts of Bristol have seemingly dropped both Gas and Pirates, and gone for the much catchier "Rovers"!

Looks like the Tractor Boys have gone for a joy ride, as they don't even make the list!

... And I never knew the Millers had ever been Merry!  

On 15/06/2021 at 10:41, Mucker1884 said:

So, no Red Devils?  No Black Cats? No Foxes?

I thought Bradford were Bantams, not Coventry?

Never heard The Dogs being referred to as "Foresters" before... nor their neighbouring Magpies being referred to as Lambs!

Always thought the Hammers were officially The Irons.

Looks like The Hornets have kicked Burton out of the league, and nicked their nickname to boot!  

The Only team on the outskirts of Bristol have seemingly dropped both Gas and Pirates, and gone for the much catchier "Rovers"!

Looks like the Tractor Boys have gone for a joy ride, as they don't even make the list!

... And I never knew the Millers had ever been Merry!  

clearly football did not exist before the Premier League commenced