Best Known names for clubs

Woodley Ram

whilst in the shower this morning I got to thinking what clubs are known for their, for want of a better word, nick names.

I thought the strongest were the following

Spurs

Rams

Hammers

Owls

I thought that most are known my the names of the club or even a shortened version such as Man Utd etc but although most clubs have a nickname few are known by them 

9 minutes ago, Woodley Ram said:

whilst in the shower this morning I got to thinking what clubs are known for their, for want of a better word, nick names.

Spurs

Rams

Hammers

Owls

I thought that most are known my the names of the club or even a shortened version such as Man Utd etc but although most clubs have a nickname few are known by them 

Wouldnt Spurs be classed as a shortened version?

6 minutes ago, Woodley Ram said:

Spurs

Rams

Hammers

Owls

I personally don't think any club is regularly referred to by it's nickname by supporters of other clubs. I doubt other supporters would say "we're playing the Rams next" same as I'd never refer to Sheffield Wednesday as "the Owls". The only possible exception is Spurs but that is as much an abbreviation of their name as a nickname. 

An interesting variation is, which teams are more commonly referred to by a name other than the town, city or area they are from? 

I guess it only really happens when the  second part of their name is unique. The only ones I can think right now are Forest, Spurs and, to a lesser extent, Wednesday.

The only teams I can think of that buck this trend are Man United being referred to as United. 

12 minutes ago, Carnero said:

How about Wolves

I thought Wolves was often used as a shorthand for wolverhampton anyway? Could be wrong though.

Accies (Hamilton), Raith Rovers (Kirkcaldy), ST Johnston (Perth) and ST Mirran (Paisley) are all slight oddities from north of the border.

And obviously, Rangers Football Club and Celtic Football club, do not have "Glasgow" (or Govan or Parkhead)

Edited by RadioactiveWaste

Whilst thinking about having a shower this morning I decided to think about this nickname conundrum instead. Now, when I was a lad, Crystal Palace were known as The Glaziers, now, maybe, showing incredible foresight not wanting to be a tribute to the future American owners of Manchester United, they are The Eagles in tribute to the country rock outfit of the same name. (Actually,I made that up)

Charlton Athletic were The Valiants, now more known as The Addicks, West Bromich Albion were The Throstles, now The Baggies ?‍♂️

And to get to Tottenham, they were The Lilleywhites. Anyway I suppose I better get back to thinking about a shower, adios.

Edited by Pearl Ram

3 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

Whilst thinking about having a shower this morning I decided to think about this nickname conundrum instead. Now, when I was a lad, Crystal Palace were known as The Glaziers, now, maybe, showing incredible foresight not wanting to be a tribute to the American owners of Manchester United, they are The Eagles in tribute to the country rock outfit of the same name. (Actually,I made that up)

Charlton Athletic were The Valiants, now more known as The Addicks, West Bromich Albion we’re The Throstles, now The Baggies ?‍♂️

And to get to Tottenham, they were The Lilleywhites. Anyway I suppose I better get back to thinking about a shower, adios.

Rangers..the Gers, the Bears, Scotland's Shame....

2 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Rangers..the Gers, the Bears, Scotland's Shame....

Gers I get, don’t know where The Bears come from but I’m not having Scotland’s Shame, born in Lanark into a Protestant family I would have been brought up a Ger had I not been fortunate to have been relocated to Bateman Street Derby.

It’s funny what the hand of fate deals you that ends up being a major influence in your life, I mean, what if my parents had moved to Nottingham ? ?

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

An interesting variation is, which teams are more commonly referred to by a name other than the town, city or area they are from? 

I guess it only really happens when the  second part of their name is unique. The only ones I can think right now are Forest, Spurs and, to a lesser extent, Wednesday.

The only teams I can think of that buck this trend are Man United being referred to as United. 

I’m thinking Crewe as well. They must have a shortened nickname like the Alex 

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

I personally don't think any club is regularly referred to by it's nickname by supporters of other clubs. I doubt other supporters would say "we're playing the Rams next" same as I'd never refer to Sheffield Wednesday as "the Owls". The only possible exception is Spurs but that is as much an abbreviation of their name as a nickname. 

The match report on the BBC from the last day of the season has Rams and Owls all over it funnily enough

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56953366