Pearce could be removed from EFL roll

Curtains

I always wonder whether Pearce is a walking disaster or the man that has single handedly kept us afloat for the last 18 months.

He's signed off on some pretty risky, maybe even foolhardy things in his time as Financial Director and CEO. Ultimately, though, he's Mel's employee would have to find a way to make Mel's instructions work.

Where did the idea of spending so much that we'd have blown P&S to pieces come come from? Was the spending Mel's initiative which Pearce found a way to almost get away with with the sale of PP and the amortisation policy? Or was it Pearce's master plan, which he sold as a brilliant solution to Mel? Personally, I think it's probably the former as Stephen Pearce is still in post.

We'll probably never know until Pride III comes out, but I suspect that Stephen Pearce has been our saviour for the last few months. We're still in the division, bought in 5 loanees in January and as things stand, look likely to start next season as residents in Pride Park. We maybe struggling, but we're still fighting.

How could any Championship representative possibly not have a conflict of interest with the EFL?

Their own club has to be their primary role and the EFL does not act in the interests of its members so it is completely impossible for there not to be a conflict of interest.

How can someone from Stoke possibly be elected to the board given the losses they reported last week?!?!

Edited by G STAR RAM

11 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

How could any Championship representative possibly not have a conflict of interest with the EFL?

Their own club has to be their primary role and the EFL does not act in the interests of its members so it is completely impossible for there not to be a conflict of interest.

How can someone from Stoke possibly be elected to the board given the losses they reported last week?!?!

There will be clear protocols in place to ensure board members are excluded from any discussions where there is a conflict of interest, as with any such body.

Now, whether the EFL follow them is another matter.

All I will say is it doesn't look like we are gaining any unfair advantage from where I am standing!

19 hours ago, Mckram said:

I call it a cob myself.

But in all seriousness, surely this is a wind up? Stoke City man replacing him...just in time for Stoke to get dragged through the courts with the EFL after their massive losses! 

The article says that Stoke guy wants to relax ffp to allow more spending. Given Stokes massive recent losses i can't see why he would want to do this and can't see any conflict of interest here at all...

1 hour ago, angieram said:

There will be clear protocols in place to ensure board members are excluded from any discussions where there is a conflict of interest, as with any such body.

Now, whether the EFL follow them is another matter.

All I will say is it doesn't look like we are gaining any unfair advantage from where I am standing!

But the whole set up is a conflict of interest. 

Championship clubs want to be competitive, EFL want to put mechanisms in place that stop from being competitive.

Forget the finer details of things, the EFL is putting ill thought out measures that work against its members.

I'm not anti FFP or P&S but the rules are ridiculous. 

17 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

But the whole set up is a conflict of interest. 

Championship clubs want to be competitive, EFL want to put mechanisms in place that stop from being competitive.

Forget the finer details of things, the EFL is putting ill thought out measures that work against its members.

I'm not anti FFP or P&S but the rules are ridiculous. 

I don't disagree but lots of membership organisations are run on the same principles and aren't in the mess the EFL is.

I suspect they are bowing to pressure from other interest groups i.e. the Premier League, Sky etc  even EFL staff ahead of the interests of their own members. 

Somebody voted those P&S rules in, they can be changed and the EFL themselves say they aren't FFP (fit for purpose ?) BUT will they do it when the pressure is coming from elsewhere.

At the moment I don't think it makes much difference which club representatives are on the board because it obviously doesn't have the power it should have.

51 minutes ago, GenBr said:

The article says that Stoke guy wants to relax ffp to allow more spending. Given Stokes massive recent losses i can't see why he would want to do this and can't see any conflict of interest here at all...

He wants owners to be able to “support the club in the way they wish”. Meaning clubs with mega rich owners (like Stoke) can inject as much money as they like. So, I think it’s obvious why he wants to do it.

That’s fine as long as the owners are willing and able to continue to cover the losses but, if they lose interest or decide they’ve spent/lost enough, the club will have problems.

Many of us dismissed, me included, a suggestion made by someone on this forum a while ago that owners should be allowed to spend what they like on players but they’d have to deposit enough money to cover that players wages for the duration of their contract. A scheme as simple as that would never work but maybe the principle, as a starting point, wasn’t such a daft idea after all.

On 30/05/2021 at 16:44, CornwallRam said:

I always wonder whether Pearce is a walking disaster or the man that has single handedly kept us afloat for the last 18 months.

I think MM is the type who wants a yes man (though he’s not always good at picking them). A number of our problems arose because there’s been no one to say: “now let’s just think about that for a minute mel ...”

2 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

I think MM is the type who wants a yes man (though he’s not always good at picking them). A number of our problems arose because there’s been no one to say: “now let’s just think about that for a minute mel ...”

I think you’re way off personally. That’s the figure the media have portrayed.

I believe he has standards that he expects and not someone you want to cross, knows what he wants, has his vision but never got the impression he’s closed minded to others opinions.

Would you want a weak minded owner with no vision that is easily swayed by any other voice? 

There’s a topic somewhere in the Football forum, Frank Lampard still full of praise for Mel, his character and human side.

Scorned managers will probably tell a different tale but that’s natural when you’ve been given the sack.

I’ve met him several times and spoke with him even more, take my opinion as you want it I guess.

Tend to avoid these type of conversations now as it’s just a pile on which I find a tad unfair despite the situation we find ourselves in.