Jump to content

Jason Knight


Recommended Posts

Just now, Andicis said:

I honestly think he's been quite poor for a while, so I think 10 million is pretty optimistic. If selling him guaranteed money going back into transfers I would say 5-6 million wouldn't be bad business for us. 

Agree. If he does go to Brighton some deal to get Clarke back on loan would be handy too…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My thoughts are similar. In the last few games of the season he (for me) was not very influential. Interesting comments though from the DET about his games for Ireland :

"Jason Knight is the bright spark here. Big future ahead."...."Jason Knight is going to be a very good player!"...."Jason knight is Ireland’s best player."..."Jason Knight looks like a proper baller. You can see why Wayne Rooney showed faith in him in the last couple of months. Real exciting prospect"...."Jason knight is by far the best player over the 2 games , he running past his own players chasing the ball and going forward he is by far been the best .. what a player he is gonna be"...."Jason Knight has been excellent tonight for Ireland"..."Jason Knight is a player."..."Jason knight is going to be a star…. Two complete performances the past few days"....."A premier league team should take a punt on Jason Knight. Young energetic hard working and might just have the talent to back it up."...."Not a bad 2nd half still the same final 3rd issues. But Kenny will be happy with the performance and a clean sheet. Jason Knight brilliant again. Should be on every XI going forward."

Based on that maybe we should think twice before we dispose of our Crown Jewels....

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Woodley Ram said:

as does his performances for Ireland, where he is a full international and now not just a regular starter but being praised increase his value? 

My thoughts that Brighton give us (not loan) Clarke plus 3-5 mil plus a sell on clause 

Not saying that Clarke isn't a good player....but if he's THAT good how come we keep conceding stupid goals from crosses... cant see him coming back...nor him wanting to come back....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Terry Hennessy said:

Not saying that Clarke isn't a good player....but if he's THAT good how come we keep conceding stupid goals from crosses... cant see him coming back...nor him wanting to come back....

Clarke is Average - the highest level he has played is bottom half of the championship - with us 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

Clarke is Average - the highest level he has played is bottom half of the championship - with us 

Clarke is not average at all, he's a top quality CB and is easily one of the best in the league. He's certainly one of the best LCB's in the league. The reason we concede "stupid goals from crosses" is because of who he has to play next to. If his LB isn't closing down crosses or the fact both our keeper don't come out for crosses, we're always going to concede goals from crosses even if we had a prime Terry at the back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

Clarke is Average - the highest level he has played is bottom half of the championship - with us 

Well that's simply not true as we finished 10th in the 19/20 and he was our player of the season.

From all players to have started at least 10 games at CB (86), Clarke finished the season as the 6th most aerially dominant CBs in the league.
His most common partner, Wisdom, was 11th worst, winning only 51% of aerial battles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jubbs said:

Clarke is not average at all, he's a top quality CB and is easily one of the best in the league. He's certainly one of the best LCB's in the league. The reason we concede "stupid goals from crosses" is because of who he has to play next to. If his LB isn't closing down crosses or the fact both our keeper don't come out for crosses, we're always going to concede goals from crosses even if we had a prime Terry at the back.

I respect your opinion but I consider him to be average 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Well that's simply not true as we finished 10th in the 19/20 and he was our player of the season.

From all players to have started at least 10 games at CB (86), Clarke finished the season as the 6th most aerially dominant CBs in the league.
His most common partner, Wisdom, was 11th worst, winning only 51% of aerial battles.

I didn’t realise we finished 10th - it didn’t feel like it - 6th most aerially dominant is helpful but he is isn’t the quickest either and I consider him average for the championship and yes he won our player of the year in a fairly dreadful season ( I thought Bogle was our player of the season ) 

wisdom is not good enough at centre half aerially and seems to play better in that position against the more football based teams rather than the put it in the mixer teams. 
Anyway none of them are lined up to be with us currently for next season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Clarke is a quality player and wouldnt look out of place in a premier league team.

Thing is, he is up there as being one of our best players with the ball at his feet.

I thought last season, if we had options at the back I'd like to see Clarke as a replacement for Bielik as a holding midfielder.

Edited by MackworthRamIsGod
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I think Clarke is a quality player and wouldnt look out of place in a premier league team.

Yep

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Thing is, he is up there as being one of our best players with the ball at his feet.

Erm, he's certainly comfortable on the ball for a CB, but not in a more advanced position.

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I thought last season, if we had options at the back I'd like to see Clarke as a replacement for Bielik as a holding midfielder.

Ryan Reynolds Wtf GIF

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Christ, so now Matt Clarke is barely good enough too? He's streets ahead of ALL of our other CBs.

 I despair at some folks' assessments of players, I really do 🤷‍♀️

We don't have any other centre backs at the moment, but I do agree he is a lot better than the rest of the players he had to play next to last season. If he had a competent sidekick he wouldn't have had to cover for multiple other players in the backline either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are we talking about the same Clarke who loses possession at least 3 times a match, often more, by floating balls into the channel for no one in particular?

Because that Matt Clarke is a decent enough defender, and nowhere near good enough to be a lone DM.

Or indeed a part of a two DM midfield.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Some players are able to play multiple positions, Hulse at centre back for example......

Clarke can tackle, can pass, has pace, can beat a man. Exactly why couldn't he play in a holding role?

Soy Mack but gotta agree with @Ghost of Clough and @Rev on this one. Clarke is a top level Championship CB, but while he does have some technical ability and can be effective bringing the ball out of defence,  I can't see him ever being utilised as a CDM.

In fairness, he's a better passer of the ball than any of our CBs by a stretch, but he doesn't have the same range of passing as the likes of Thorne, Bielik or even Bird IMO. And while he's not slow, he doesn't have the pace to surge forward, nor any kind of eye for goal. Not saying he'd be bad because you're right, he's a talented player, but CB is his bread and butter and there he'll stay.

Let's just hope that we can somehow engineer a 3rd loan as he's absolutely key to our defensive effort. Starting the season without him (or a very good replacement) fills me with terror given the dearth of experienced and capable CBs at the club currently. I thought at one time that Alfie Solomon looked to the manner born but I've not seen him play in a good while and I'm not sure who else could step up at this point. Some CBs would be top of my recruitment list right now o we could be in for another torrid season ahead 😟

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Some players are able to play multiple positions, Hulse at centre back for example......

Clarke can tackle, can pass, has pace, can beat a man. Exactly why couldn't he play in a holding role?

Thought Bielik did pretty well in that role, let Clarke stay where he is…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.