Jason Knight

desirelines

We have to be fair to Knight, honestly, Brighton is a great opportunity to develop. Derby isn’t. 

Get a fair fee, let him move on with our best wishes. I’d say the same goes for all our young players - all of which regressed during the past season. You’ve got to remember these are young lads, with a lot of potential and deserve the opportunity to move on due to our current situation. 

£5m is more than fair. 

46 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

We have to be fair to Knight, honestly, Brighton is a great opportunity to develop. Derby isn’t. 

Get a fair fee, let him move on with our best wishes. I’d say the same goes for all our young players - all of which regressed during the past season. You’ve got to remember these are young lads, with a lot of potential and deserve the opportunity to move on due to our current situation. 

£5m is more than fair. 

Not for me far far to low of asking price.

3 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Yep, Cocu seemed to know how to get the best out of our young crown jewels.....

That's why we were on one win by December and looking absolutely ducked and heading to league 1 isn't it?  Before Rooney signed we were poo in Cocu's first season, him Martin and Bogle formed the basis of most of our quality going forward in 19/20 2 left and one became too unfit to play and we were woeful without them. 

By the end of Cocu's time the youngsters looked ruined and useless wouldn't give Cocu too much credit, wouldn't give Rooney much credit either but let's not forget how woeful we were under Cocu this season and how we were in a relegation fight before Rooney came in last season and added some creativity and gave the team a confidence boost. Bird only played well when he had an inform Rooney to link up with soon as he had to play with Knight and Shinnie and have more responsibility on the ball he looked alot worse. 

Edited by Marriot Ram99

43 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

That's why we were on one win by December and looking absolutely ducked and heading to league 1 isn't it?  Before Rooney signed we were poo in Cocu's first season, him Martin and Bogle formed the basis of most of our quality going forward in 19/20 2 left and one became too unfit to play and we were woeful without them. 

By the end of Cocu's time the youngsters looked ruined and useless wouldn't give Cocu too much credit, wouldn't give Rooney much credit either but let's not forget how woeful we were under Cocu this season and how we were in a relegation fight before Rooney came in last season and added some creativity and gave the team a confidence boost. Bird only played well when he had an inform Rooney to link up with soon as he had to play with Knight and Shinnie and have more responsibility on the ball he looked alot worse. 

We clearly see things differently. Knight, Bird and Sibley were all far better under cocu and personally i think he managed his youth contingent very well. All of them are going backwards under Rooney and nothing will change in that regard.

We need to sell whilst they still have some value and they need to leave before we irreversibly cripple their careers.

5 minutes ago, GenBr said:

We clearly see things differently. Knight, Bird and Sibley were all far better under cocu and personally i think he managed his youth contingent very well. All of them are going backwards under Rooney and nothing will change in that regard.

We need to sell whilst they still have some value and they need to leave before we irreversibly cripple their careers.

Indeed ?

1 hour ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

I think it is too often overlooked, the squad the youngsters played in, they could be supporting roles and shine.

2 hours ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

By the end of Cocu's time the youngsters looked ruined

Apart from Buchanan who got called up for England u21s and Knight who had been our best player until Bielik returned. Bird was having to do the work of 2 players next to Rooney. 

2 hours ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Bird only played well when he had an inform Rooney to link up with soon as he had to play with Knight and Shinnie and have more responsibility on the ball he looked alot worse. 

He looked good against Blackburn last season. 

40 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Why on earth would Clarke move to Derby on a perm?

Anyone gives me £5 million, I’ll snap their hand off.

Regular football, won’t get that at Brighton. Very unlikely though due to wages so another loan would be more likely....

22 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Regular football, won’t get that at Brighton. Very unlikely though due to wages so another loan would be more likely....

I see a Sheff Utd being the type of club he will move to next. Needs to be part of a promotion team to stand a chance of Premier League gametime.  

We’re now unfortunately seeing the culmination of a number of failures/changes at the club: Rooney’s more negative style of football (rightly or wrongly) leading to our most promising young players being played out of position (Knight) or completely dropped (i.e. Sibley), the poor season last year and the result of financial mismanagement for years. It all points to us probably cashing in cheaply on assets that would’ve otherwise served us well or commanded much higher fees. Hope I’m wrong but I can see us getting picked apart like Wigan were and the likes of Knight, Sibley, Buchanan, Bird etc all being sold off cheaply. From their point of view a move to someone like Brighton is a no-brainer at the minute given our situation, in any case, unless Rooney changes tact from the 2nd half of last season there would be no point in the more creative/technical players staying because we don’t look like we’re going to line up that way. If they go I’d wish them all the best and thank them for helping us survive last season.

6 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Why are people using wages as an excuse why we can't afford Clarke? Surely we've been paying his full wages for the past 2 seasons, so we should be able to next season too...

I think we're in a different position to the last two years as we're clearly scaling back on the squad to reduce losses. I have no idea what Clarke is on, but I'd imagine it's a £15k-a-week plus contract already and he would probably need an incentive to join us so I'd imagine it's out of our current situation. 

It's going to be tough for a team with our inability to scout and our financial limitations. Brexit makes things a lot harder too, with regards to bringing players in from overseas from lesser funded leagues, i.e. Poland, Ligue 2, etc.

I think we've really got to utilise the loan market, scout Scotland with a fine tooth comb and hope the dead heads in the scouting department finally start to produce. 

7 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Why are people using wages as an excuse why we can't afford Clarke? Surely we've been paying his full wages for the past 2 seasons, so we should be able to next season too...

well I have to presume he hasn't taken a pay cut to come here so either we are paying it all or a proportion.  One think for certain he will have to take a pay cut to come here and there mist be better options for him

28 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I think we're in a different position to the last two years as we're clearly scaling back on the squad to reduce losses. I have no idea what Clarke is on, but I'd imagine it's a £15k-a-week plus contract already and he would probably need an incentive to join us so I'd imagine it's out of our current situation. 

It's going to be tough for a team with our inability to scout and our financial limitations. Brexit makes things a lot harder too, with regards to bringing players in from overseas from lesser funded leagues, i.e. Poland, Ligue 2, etc.

I think we've really got to utilise the loan market, scout Scotland with a fine tooth comb and hope the dead heads in the scouting department finally start to produce. 

Evidence of us needing to further scale back on spending next season? I'll be extremely surprised if we cut costs again. The playing wage bill was reportedly something like £14m last season. With Davies, Wisdom and Waghorn's contracts expiring, that figure drops to just £11m. That's the sort of figure you expect of a bottom 3 club as a result of lower revenue. Our financial struggles this season have mostly stemmed from no fans in the ground - £20m lost due to Covid over 1 and a bit seasons.

Incentive? How about being first choice? At Brighton he currently has Dunk, Webster, White, Burn and Veltman as competition at CB, so almost certainly won't be playing there next season. Maybe despite everything that's gone on over the past couple of years he actually quite likes the club and the surrounding area and would like to return? Maybe Rooney can convince him we'll be pushing for promotion again.

2 minutes ago, Spanish said:

well I have to presume he hasn't taken a pay cut to come here so either we are paying it all or a proportion.  One think for certain he will have to take a pay cut to come here and there mist be better options for him

I'd imagine we're paying it all, otherwise Brighton would have found another club willing to. Why must he take a pay cut to come?