Graeme Shinnie - Jack Stamps Player of the Season

angieram

I voted for him... and I mean this in no disrespect but it goes to show how poor our season was that he won. 

I voted for him based on he seemed to try the hardest. He’s a really good player but the fact he’s won player of the year shows how poo we were. 

well done to him though. ?

13 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

This read a bit contradictory. Do you think he's a really good player or is he a hard tryer in a poor team? 

A bit of both I suppose. He shouldn’t be a really good player but compared to his teammates I think he is. He should be the anonymous type who you don’t really appreciate but gets the job done.  

we shouldn’t be in a position to vote for Shinnie but at the same time it’s very difficult to argue he shouldn’t get it.

1 minute ago, Ramslad1992 said:

A bit of both I suppose. He shouldn’t be a really good player but compared to his teammates I think he is. He should be the anonymous type who you don’t really appreciate but gets the job done.  

we shouldn’t be in a position to vote for Shinnie but at the same time it’s very difficult to argue he shouldn’t get it.

why???

10 minutes ago, Ramslad1992 said:

Fair play mate. 

Can't even remember whether or not I voted for him tbh. 

But in a crap season, the efforts of a few could have made the difference between survival and disaster. 

The only times we were able to dominate and win midfield battles was when Bielik played. So often we were second best in that department with the likes of Shinnie being unable to impose himself on games. That’s why he would have been my third or fourth choice. He does work hard though...

Obviously there's a lack of viable alternative recipients, but I'm actually disappointed that Shinnie has picked up an award of such prestige.

He's neither a sound defensive screen, creative outlet or attacking threat. He is part of a midfield that is regularly overrun, he lacks bite in the tackle, he doesn't make an effort to join attacks or to get in to the box. I never get the impression that he's keen to take the responsibility to drive us on. Like others, he's happy to sit passing backwards and from side to side.

He's not the only culprit and certainly not the worst one, but we are talking about our POTY here. Shinnie has won it by just running around a bit. 

We need far more from a Derby County central midfielder in my opinion. We need them to either have the ability and the balls to take responsibility to drive the team forwards, or the tactical awareness and bite to to be an effective defensive screen. 

Obviously the fans, by majority, have made the decision to vote for him, so fair play. 

Bielik would have walked it without the injury.

1 hour ago, angieram said:

I nearly didn't post the two tweets about player and young player of the season because I knew it would invite people to pour in with their criticisms. And it has.

But I thought it might make a change to start a thread where people might have something nice to say for a change. Apparently not.

Isn’t debating things like this what this forum is all about ? I haven’t read any really derogatory comments about Shinnie, just some comments supporting him being POTY and others on why they think otherwise.

1 hour ago, angieram said:

I nearly didn't post the two tweets about player and young player of the season because I knew it would invite people to pour in with their criticisms. And it has.

But I thought it might make a change to start a thread where people might have something nice to say for a change. Apparently not.

Shinnie won you say.

Episode 1 Slow Clap GIF by One ChicagoJennifer Lopez Reaction GIF by NBC World Of DanceHappy Will Smith GIF by 1LIVEClapping GIF by Steve Harvey TVWell Done Clapping GIF by MOODMANEpisode 1 Applause GIF by FriendsSchitts Creek Applause GIF by CBCHappy Season 5 GIF by FriendsHappy Michelle Obama GIF by Election 2016Will Smith Applause GIF

4 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

why???

He’s a good player and I rate him... I voted for him! But he’s not the sort of player who should win player of the year. He’s basically won it because he’s been average and tried. We’ve had an absolutely awful season, if it was good he wouldn’t be anywhere near player of the year. 

like I said fair play to him and he deserves it IMO. I guess it’s just sad that I voted for him on effort more than ability.