Women’s football

kevinhectoring

There's no reason why women's football can't be as popular as the men's if given enough time and promotion but it probably won't cater to the same audience because fundamentally it doesn't play the same. The physical attributes do matter to a large degree, so it feels like you're watching a different sport when watching the women's game to the men's. It's exactly the same in tennis- the difference in height, wing span, pace, and endurance has a substantial knock on effect tactically. I think there probably does need to be some adaptation for the difference in physicality between men and women such as the  pitch regulations and how big the goal can be. As when I've watched it too  many female GK's are just too easily beaten for my taste when I've seen it.  

The standard is also getting a lot better and has shot up in recent years but it's still got a way to go. But this is why there should be a bit more investment from the authorities as otherwise it becomes a bit of a chicken and egg situation. I don't have a problem with female presenters at all on sports shows and there should have been more of a balance a while back really. Personally, I wouldn't opt so much for female ex players from 10 years ago who played in front of a few people at what was basically a semi-professional level back then (unless they do know their stuff) but try to include other female analysts. 

Edited by Leeds Ram