Women’s football

kevinhectoring

Always enjoy the rams tv segments on the women’s team but must admit I don’t watch them. My mate works at DAZN and says they reckon the biggest change in football in the next 10 years will be the rise of the women’s game. Should we be investing more ?

It doesn't interest me in the slightest. How BBC Sport put the women's results at the top of the page I'll never know. 

I don't object to it in any way whatsoever, however the way women are chosen over men to be pundits and commentators just stinks of political correctness. 

Each to their own but not for me.

5 hours ago, one_chop said:

It doesn't interest me in the slightest. How BBC Sport put the women's results at the top of the page I'll never know. 

I don't object to it in any way whatsoever, however the way women are chosen over men to be pundits and commentators just stinks of political correctness. 

I suspect, if you undertook an audit, you’d probably find there are far more male pundits and commentators than female so I don’t think they’re being chosen over men. Also, I reckon they’re as good as the men (it’s probably a little patronising to even consider they wouldn’t be) so, I don’t really mind what gender the presenters, commentators or pundits are (come to think of it, anything to save us from the ever increasingly irritating Lineker has got to be a good thing).

As for “women’s results at the top of the page” are they really? I’m sure you’ll find that they would never be above the men’s premier league or European results.

I enjoy watching the ladies England games (probably because until recently they used to win most of their games) and I found the recent Chelsea v Everton game on the BBC very entertaining.

I have no idea the ratio of men to women who commentate or do pundit work but willing to bet it's still heavily male dominated. 

I know I find Alex Scott refreshing,  I'd listen to her talk every day over some of the Male pundits, never seems to be the bias shown by many of the Male pundits to their old clubs. 

Also Laura Woods is excellent on talksport.

I just don’t understand the the appetite for the crossover, be it commentators, referees or even talk of women managers in the men’s game. Shouldn’t they be striving to to make the women’s game the best it can possible be?

If you watch a women’s game, Thel be 3 women pundits which is completely fine. Now you find in the men’s game there has to be a woman pundit so it’s inclusive. 

Then not so long ago the Chelsea women’s manager was being linked with the job at FGR, that’s the vegan, sustainable, zero carbon foot print club. Then there was a barrage of women pundits on talksport saying how the FGR job would be a massive step down and she should be getting jobs in the championship. WHY?!

I think the growth i women’s game will be astronomical over the next decade, from the little I know they’ve learnt from the mistakes of the men’s game and they actually share revenue more equally. If Ewe rams were plying in the WSL I’d no doubt end up watching it.

Apart from the rest of your sentences!!

I don't watch ladies club football but love watching England ladies and as has been alluded to, none of the pretentiousness of the men's game. Obviously they are much more robust than any male. 

I like women's football. Tactically it's very good and as the game is slower than male counterparts, you can actually spot the tactics and changes in them more easily when you watch the game. I like that.

More importantly, players don't dive or playact and as those two are my pet hates, it really is more pleasing to watch. I love it when the players truly respect eachother and that is more often the case in women's football.

Also, the quality of the game has improved massively in last 5-10 years, especially the goalkeeping.

There's room in the bandwagon, jump in! I'm also certain that it'll grow to be a huge thing in football. I just wish that increased money doesn't corrupt and change the game as it did for males.

I’ve watched a lot of the televised lionesses games over the last 10 years or so and the quality has massively improved, though is still a bit of a distance off the men’s game. Goalkeeping seems to be one of the big areas of difference; a lot of errors and not getting the fundamentals right as often.

I don’t have a problem with more female commentators or pundits, as long as they’re good at what they do. Alex Scott is lauded as the shining example and its cos she’s actually good.

I remember when MOTD brought in a female commentator in jacqui oatley I think it was and there was scoffing and a bit of backlash. Personally it’s not because she’s a woman that she grated, I think she just comes across unnatural. Have heard other female commentators that I think do a good job.

And back to pundits. I guess there is a difference in career experience of top females to males currently, so whether their experiences reflect and give as good insight on the men’s game is up for debate, but the fundamentals of football at a high level should be similar.

The beeb having the stories of ladies football near the headlines (over championship in a fair few cases) does feel a bit forced and grates at our expense, but I get why. A big thing is visibility so the next generation of girls know it’s a career option and something to get involved in.

Tbh I’ve never really looked into Derby ladies team, it does feel a very different entity compared to a lot of clubs.

3 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

I like women's football. Tactically it's very good and as the game is slower than male counterparts, you can actually spot the tactics and changes in them more easily when you watch the game. I like that.

More importantly, players don't dive or playact and as those two are my pet hates, it really is more pleasing to watch. I love it when the players truly respect eachother and that is more often the case in women's football.

Also, the quality of the game has improved massively in last 5-10 years, especially the goalkeeping.

There's room in the bandwagon, jump in! I'm also certain that it'll grow to be a huge thing in football. I just wish that increased money doesn't corrupt and change the game as it did for males.

One thing I like in women's football they don't dive and cry about every little nick. They behave more "manly" with their injuries than the men. I was also surprised how much they have improved since the 90's when I watched the latest World Championship tournament.

15 minutes ago, Cisse said:

Watching men's football for me is mostly hoping that a good player gets the ball and score.

Watching women's football for me is mostly hoping that a good looking player gets the ball and I would score.

Quick, get a bucket of water someone!image.png.a3ce54d65b328a87c96f070ae2fd6ee4.png

Í used to enjoy watching ladies international football. It’s less cynical and the players seem to be having fun. Good passing and movement.

Not watched as much recently as generally falling out of love with the game

i don’t care what sex if any, the commentators are (having). 
However the females are better to look at than their male counterparts. 

I've tried watching it, I've tried being interested, but the standard is pretty poor, the goalies are rather comical though.

The BBC are embarrassingly over PC so will do everything and anything to shoe horn women into the mens sports as pundits (Alex Scott is a very good pundit however). Would be interesting to have a show dedicated to the womens game and see how popular it is.