Preseason 2021/22

RoyMac5

45 minutes ago, angieram said:

I was briefly teetotal in Scotland. We arrived late Saturday evening, went out on the Sunday and all the bars were closed. We couldn't believe it. This was 1979, not the Dark Ages! 

I lived in IOM around that time and I think the pubs were open for an hour at lunch and at night.  Oddly they stayed open but stopped serving alcohol. it was in the days before smoking was banned inside if you get my drift

53 minutes ago, angieram said:

I was briefly teetotal in Scotland. We arrived late Saturday evening, went out on the Sunday and all the bars were closed. We couldn't believe it. This was 1979, not the Dark Ages! 

I lived in Scotland for a while. Not always a great experience if you were from south of the border.

A couple of friends visited and we went for a drink and a meal at the big hotel on the eastern bank of Loch Lomond. All so looking forward to it, the splendid view and a magnificent meal.

All they had on the lunchtime menu was pizza!!! No traditional fayre, nothing.

Ah well, at least we can enjoy the view of the loch over drinks. We just need to pull back these curtains. Behind the curtains was surely a stunning view of the water, but no - just a wallpapered wall.

Then the pizza arrived - one of those kids pizzas....microwaved, so extra chewey.

3 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

I lived in Scotland for a while. Not always a great experience if you were from south of the border.

A couple of friends visited and we went for a drink and a meal at the big hotel on the eastern bank of Loch Lomond. All so looking forward to it, the splendid view and a magnificent meal.

Ah well, at least we can enjoy the view of the loch over drinks. We just need to pull back these curtains. Behind the curtains was surely a stunning view of the water, but no - just a wallpapered wall.

Then the pizza arrived - one of those kids pizzas....microwaved, so extra chewey.

I hope it was battered as well

30 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

I was expecting someone to say:

"Typical, you turn [to] curtains expecting a magnificent view of the world but you just hit a wall".

I'm glad no one did because I think that particular poster gives us great insight.

4 hours ago, IslandExile said:

What ! No square sausage. ? 

The Scots and food .. curious, or maybe a bit like us. 

I have seen (but not sampled)  a battered Mars bar, square sausage ( god what is in that stuff ?) and numerous dubious delicacies in pubs that scared the life out of an early 20’s me. I’ve also had Venison liver that melted in the mouth, fit for a Michelin star. 

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

I’d imagine today is going to be quite demoralising for the players and staff seeing only half a squad turn up for training,

Bloody disgrace really, start of pre season and still nothing has happened. I can't even get excited about this season, I've tried to but I can't. We've got an owner who doesn't want to be here, a rookie manager, half a squad most of whom are kids. The club is just a mess.