Football Stadium Naming Rights and Sponsorship

Oldben

Nowadays the sponsorship of stadiums is a common occurrence, with one of the first questions as club has to answer upon the announcement of a new ground is, ‘Will you sell the stadium’s naming rights?’

Examples

Arsenal, Emirates stadium

Bolton Wanderers, Reebok Stadium

Manchester City FC, the etihad

Chesterfield, proact stadium

Burton Alibion, pirelli stadium

Leicester City FC, king power stadium

When the New York Mets agreed to call their newly built home after CitiGroup in exchange for over £200 million.

There's money in sponsoring a name changed stadium.

its unlikely to happen at this moment as the club seeks new owners, but personally I no longer want the club known as pride Park. The clubs current name reminds me of our losses and not our victories.

The club needs money.

28 minutes ago, Oldben said:

Nowadays the sponsorship of stadiums is a common occurrence, with one of the first questions as club has to answer upon the announcement of a new ground is, ‘Will you sell the stadium’s naming rights?’

Examples

When the New York Mets agreed to call their newly built home after CitiGroup in exchange for over £200 million.

its unlikely to happen at this moment as the club seeks new owners, but personally I no longer want the club known as pride Park. The clubs current name reminds me of our losses and not our victories.

The club needs money.

I'd imagine the answer would be "never say never", seeing as they've done it once already!

I don't know of too many new grounds that have not received naming rights these days - It's a no brainer to be honest - Kind of sad but there you go. Regarding Pride Park, I would imagine that if we are sold to a buyer who has less of an emotional attachment to the club than Mel (very very likely), then the sale of the naming rights is an inevitability.

1 hour ago, Oldben said:

Examples

The club needs money.

IPro did they go bust? Got a few freebies outside the ground but that was it.

1 hour ago, Oldben said:

Examples

The club needs money.

Obviously you mean the ground not the club. I have no problem with the name of the ground as it is and it certainly doesn’t conjure up only memories of defeats for me. You need to look a bit further back than just the last season buddy.

On the other hand, whilst there are plenty of embarrassing potentials out there, I don’t care too much who sponsors it if they’re prepared to pay zillions for the honour. It would be nice to have a cool sounding name and there are some I’d probably prefer we weren’t associated with but, beggars can’t be choosers.

10 hours ago, Oldben said:

Examples

You missed the best one....

York City did play at the Kit Kat Stadium. I dunno what the new one is called.

2 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

York Community Stadium Leisure Complex apparently.  Owned by the Council, which probably explains the snappy title, and shared.

By that example, I’m  looking forward to visiting the Nottingham Community Stadium Complex next season and collecting 3 points