Who/What/Why

i-Ram

spacer.png

Seriously, I don’t care. If the thread title was Demi Lovato Announces Non Binary Status, I wouldn’t have read it but the Who/What/Why title provoked my interest so I opened the thread.

All smacks of attention seeking with a smattering of self indulgence to me. ?

5 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

spacer.png

Seriously, I don’t care. If the thread title was Demi Lovato Announces Non Binary Status, I wouldn’t have read it but the Who/What/Why title provoked my interest so I opened the thread.

@i-Ram starts one bloody thread, and you give him all this grief, over his click bait title... it worked though, eh! 
Leave the poor fella alone!  Jeez!   

Oh... erm... 

Oh no, you misunderstand @Mucker1884, I-Ram’s one of my favourite posters on here. My post was a preemptive strike against those quick to criticise when showing indifference to a thread/post. “So if you don’t care, why post “ ? kind of thing, I was merely explaining why I opened the thread. ?

I don’t even know what this person does. ?‍♂️

1 hour ago, Pearl Ram said:

Oh no, you misunderstand @Mucker1884, I-Ram’s one of my favourite posters on here. My post was a preemptive strike against those quick to criticise when showing indifference to a thread/post. “So if you don’t care, why post “ ? kind of thing, I was merely explaining why I opened the thread. ?

I don’t even know what this person does. ?‍♂️

Just japes, my friend.

I knew full well it wasn't a rant against our good friend (and handsome beast) @i-Ram 

Oh... It's a pop singer, according to google!   ??

4 hours ago, Ram-a-lama fa fa fa said:

i call her crap

I don't. I'm not fan of hers or what ever she wants to be, and I don't know any of her songs or know her music but I feel bad for her. I know she has been bullied and tortured as a kid really bad because her appearance and she has paid that a high price. She has suffered anorexia, alcoholism and she is bi polar. I don't think any kid deserves go through the hell like that.

4 hours ago, Cisse said:

I don't. I'm not fan of hers or what ever she wants to be, and I don't know any of her songs or know her music but I feel bad for her. I know she has been bullied and tortured as a kid really bad because her appearance and she has paid that a high price. She has suffered anorexia, alcoholism and she is bi polar. I don't think any kid deserves go through the hell like that.

Agreed. Very easy for people to sit and laugh.

On 19/05/2021 at 16:14, Pearl Ram said:

spacer.png

Attention seeking with a smattering of self indulgence bit harsh on I-Ram don’t you think? ??

I'm all for it, but surely it's not beyond the wit of man, woman or they to invent a brand new pronoun to describe such individuals.

It's very hard to read articles about such things, without wondering who they or them are?

Hundreds of years of passed down reading and language skills aren't easily erased when appropriating an existing word for a new use.

On 22/05/2021 at 00:22, Rev said:

I'm all for it, but surely it's not beyond the wit of man, woman or they to invent a brand new pronoun to describe such individuals.

It's very hard to read articles about such things, without wondering who they or them are?

Hundreds of years of passed down reading and language skills aren't easily erased when appropriating an existing word for a new use.

well Futurama did it

Shme

On 21/05/2021 at 23:22, Rev said:

Agreed.

It’s the same with academic writing. At the minute, when referring to a hypothetical person, you have to use ‘he’, ‘she’ or the grammatically incorrect ‘they’. 

Christ I’m boring.

9 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Agreed.

It’s the same with academic writing. At the minute, when referring to a hypothetical person, you have to use ‘he’, ‘she’ or the grammatically incorrect ‘they’. 

Christ I’m boring.

'They' is not grammatically incorrect. It is used when the gender of the person is unknown or unimportant or indeed if the gender is to be kept secret.

Eg. There's someone at the door. They want to speak to you.

39 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

'They' is not grammatically incorrect. It is used when the gender of the person is unknown or unimportant or indeed if the gender is to be kept secret.

Eg. There's someone at the door. They want to speak to you.

It appears that I was wrong, and so too was the Lord Chief Justice of England and Wales!

I got the notion that 'they' for a singular is grammatically incorrect from the following passage in The Rule of Law by Baron Bingham:

image.png.4b101f64df5e20eb060a8b06de132506.png 

I think opinions differ across industries anyway. My uni textbooks always use 'he' or 'she' rather than 'they'. I suppose the beauty of grammar is that there isn't one set form.

34 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

It appears that I was wrong, and so too was the Lord Chief Justice of England and Wales!

I got the notion that 'they' for a singular is grammatically incorrect from the following passage in The Rule of Law by Baron Bingham:

image.png.4b101f64df5e20eb060a8b06de132506.png 

I think opinions differ across industries anyway. My uni textbooks always use 'he' or 'she' rather than 'they'. I suppose the beauty of grammar is that there isn't one set form.

I just looked that bloke up (on Wikipedia rather than Debrett's). He appeared to be the very epitome of 'old school'. Speaking of which, the thing he said about 'they' is probably probably something he was told at prep school along with not ending a sentence with a preposition and not splitting infinitives.