when can we expect the player retained list?

Woodley Ram

Can people please stop using amortisation as an excuse for not being allowed to extend contracts.

Firstly, the EFL cannot reject an extension simply because it prevents us failing P&S 

Secondly, we will be forced to change to the standard amortisation method, most likely including previous seasons.

Thirdly, standard amortisation methods can push the 'remaining value' into future seasons too.

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Can people please stop using amortisation as an excuse for not being allowed to extend contracts.

Firstly, the EFL cannot reject an extension simply because it prevents us failing P&S 

Secondly, we will be forced to change to the standard amortisation method, most likely including previous seasons.

Thirdly, standard amortisation methods can push the 'remaining value' into future seasons too.

Do you have any idea what might be the reason that the EFL refused the Marriott contract extension in December? Wages?

7 hours ago, JfR said:

Do you have any idea what might be the reason that the EFL refused the Marriott contract extension in December? Wages?

10 hours ago, Spanish said:

If Marriott has not been allowed by EFL I guess wiz and waggy won’t be either.  Perhaps there is a wage limit.  Technically Davis given it is a loan is different but may still be subject to the wage cap.  Ducking worrying though

Bump.

seems odd that they can object to extensions.  Perhaps they view it as a new registration.  

1 hour ago, Spanish said:

Bump.

seems odd that they can object to extensions.  Perhaps they view it as a new registration.  

I still think there was something in one of the two EFL charge/appeal reports about extending a players contract in such a way as to facilitate our amortisation policy that EFL objected to. @Ghost of Cloughcan you remember?

9 hours ago, JfR said:

I have to resort to guessing on this one. The most logical reasons to me are:

1. The wages fall outside the allowable limits under an embargo (following the non-payment of wages in December)
  2. The wages fall outside the allowable limits of an agreed P&S plan (set for non-compliant clubs, ie Birmingham)
  3. Marriott lodged an appeal to the extension

1 doesn't make sense to me as to why the extension wasn't approved when agreed (September/October?)
2 doesn't make sense to me given the wage bill in proportion to the (non-covid) revenue.
3 sounds plausible.

Or it could be something completely different. 
However, in my opinion, there is no chance it relates to amortisation.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

I still think there was something in one of the two EFL charge/appeal reports about extending a players contract in such a way as to facilitate our amortisation policy that EFL objected to. @Ghost of Cloughcan you remember?

Maybe the bit relating to inaccurately estimating values then letting them leave for free at the end of their contracts? I don't recall anything on the likes of Johnson, Butterfield and Blackman and us extending their deals only to allow them to leave for nothing a month into the new season.

It’s all very strange regarding the Marriott extension - what if we were going to play him every week and he had a great season and we were much higher in the table to be far away from relegation or near the top six whilst also another club made a serious transfer bid which we wanted to accept? The EFL interfering with our season planning and possible outgoing transfer activity whilst Marriott is actually our player under our contract seems seriously a restraint of trade. It’s not as if we were wanting to sign an unemployed player or a contracted player from another club.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I have to resort to guessing on this one. The most logical reasons to me are:

1. The wages fall outside the allowable limits under an embargo (following the non-payment of wages in December)
  2. The wages fall outside the allowable limits of an agreed P&S plan (set for non-compliant clubs, ie Birmingham)
  3. Marriott lodged an appeal to the extension

1 doesn't make sense to me as to why the extension wasn't approved when agreed (September/October?)
2 doesn't make sense to me given the wage bill in proportion to the (non-covid) revenue.
3 sounds plausible.

It is rather intriguing… yet not surprising in the life and times of DCFC… ? 

If the player objected, then I would expect the PFA to intervene but I guess we would not get to hear of this.

Couldn't see this commented elsewhere. Apparently according to The Athletic, Callum Minkley chose not to renew with us because we wouldn't promote him to the senior squad for next season. https://www.derbycounty.news/transfers/report-Derby-youngster-callum-minkley-rejects-contract-offer-will-leave-club/

He's 20 and many will say centre backs develop late, but I don't believe that. We've had a few promising players in that position the last few years, but haven't brought them through. Interesting to see if/where he ends up.

Having looked into Marriott angle again it seems like the EFL can dictate who gets offered a contract extension and on what terms (PFA doing a fine job of not representing their players here) 

longer term view - what a shocking league of anti competitive nonsense the championship is full of nowadays. In addition what is the point of a player contract let’s all offer them weekly or monthly ones because the EFL can just stop a players wages being paid from one contract date ending at a certain point, whilst stopping a club (buisness) from potentially keeping an asset and selling that same asset for actual money and moving that football club into a worse financial position by that action.

Why would anybody ever consider buying a football club when you can’t spend your own money on it because an organisation ( EFL ) make such anti business interpretations. Apart from Nottingham forest of course which is just a case of washing dirty types of money. 

11 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Couldn't see this commented elsewhere. Apparently according to The Athletic, Callum Minkley chose not to renew with us because we wouldn't promote him to the senior squad for next season. https://www.derbycounty.news/transfers/report-Derby-youngster-callum-minkley-rejects-contract-offer-will-leave-club/

He's 20 and many will say centre backs develop late, but I don't believe that. We've had a few promising players in that position the last few years, but haven't brought them through. Interesting to see if/where he ends up.

I would hazard a guess the advise he has received is not the best if this is the case. After playing nine U23 games last season I would say he is no position to ask for 1st assurances. 

I liked what I saw of Minkley but there was no way he was ready for regularly being around the first team. 

17 minutes ago, HectorsHouse said:

It is rather intriguing… yet not surprising in the life and times of DCFC… ? 

If the player objected, then I would expect the PFA to intervene but I guess we would not get to hear of this.

So the player might have objected to the contract which he signed where he gets paid £18,000 per week apparently which gave the club an option to extend it by one year and continue to pay him - that’s a hard one for anybody to understand especially when he has been so unavailable half of the time.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

1 hour ago, Rambalin said:

I would hazard a guess the advise he has received is not the best if this is the case. After playing nine U23 games last season I would say he is no position to ask for 1st assurances. 

I liked what I saw of Minkley but there was no way he was ready for regularly being around the first team. 

It depends if he felt he was good enough for our first team, or whether he wants to leave to pursue first team football elsewhere.
At 20, that's the right attitude to have, although a loan or two would have been my preferred option.

Just now, Ghost of Clough said:

It depends if he felt he was good enough for our first team, or whether he wants to leave to pursue first team football elsewhere.
At 20, that's the right attitude to have, although a loan or two would have been my preferred option.

Maybe his terms wouldn’t of be good enough at Derby because of all the uncertainty.

Good luck to the lad in future. 

32 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Can't say I've noticed him much, surely it's only the right attitude if you're actually good enough? ? The only one of our young CBs I've particularly noticed was Solomon. 

Edited by RoyMac5

43 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Can't say I've noticed him much, surely it's only the right attitude if you're actually good enough? ? The only one of our young CBs I've particularly noticed was Solomon. 

The right attitude is to find a club to be a first team regular.

Along with Solomon, I imagine we'll see Cashin, JBrown, Bardell, and Grewal-Pollard all play CB for the U23s at some point next season. I'm sure you've noticed a couple of them.

Regarding Marriott, perhaps there was something in the deal with Peterborough that might have been being sidestepped creatively with the renewal terms, and Rentagob MacAnthony asked the EFL to intervene. Perhaps rather than wanting him to play more matches/score goals for the Rams, DCFC only wanted to try and retain some sell-on value, offering him ‘no play’ terms, but agreeing to buy him a top of the range set of Taylormade irons and to pay his Golf club membership.

Edited by i-Ram

2 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Regarding Marriott, perhaps there was something in the deal with Peterborough that might have been being sidestepped creatively with the renewal terms, and Rentagob MacAnthony asked the EFL to intervene. Perhaps rather than wanting him to play more matches/score goals for the Rams, DCFC only wanted to try and retain some sell-on value, offering him ‘no play’ terms, but agreeing to buy him a top of the range set of Taylormade irons and to pay his Golf club membership.

another viable reason (can't speak about the golfy things)

45 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The right attitude is to find a club to be a first team regular.

Along with Solomon, I imagine we'll see Cashin, JBrown, Bardell, and Grewal-Pollard all play CB for the U23s at some point next season. I'm sure you've noticed a couple of them.

Well sure, but the right attitude also means realising what stage you are at. Duncan thought he was good enough for that Italian team whose name I can't remember. ?

I noticed some of the others, but Solomon looked particularly good on the ball I thought. Who played in the last few U23 games was it G-P?

Edited by RoyMac5

Suspect it is DCFC doing something odd with extension which had something in it for Marriott (assume it is not a bog standard extra year that was already in original contract as how could they realistically reject that).

This “something in it for Marriott” assume had something negative for someone else (maybe Posh, or maybe all the other 21 championship clubs) and maybe it’s a standard thing that EFL approve all contracts* but it’s a power they never usually wield.

*Or all clubs in special measures.