when can we expect the player retained list?

Woodley Ram

2 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Could it be that we were under a soft embargo when Marriott was offered the new contract and the terms exceeded the allowed amount under that embargo. That's only a guess and not fact but it does seem very strange that the EFL would do that. 

That shouldn't apply to players already at the club if offered terms equal to or lower than the existing deal, even if exceeding the limit for a new signing.

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

We currently have 2 in the first team, and they're very likely to sign on for at least another year. Signing 1 or 2 CBs should not be "absolutely terrifying".

15/16 - Pearce and Shackell
14/15 - Whitbread and Shotton
12/13 - Keogh and O'Connor
11/12 - Shackell, Riggott and Naylor
09/10 - Barker and Buxton

Ah no worries then sounds like we’ve got recruitment sorted I see no further issue with us finding a decent centre half as long as they bring their insoles ?

29 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

That shouldn't apply to players already at the club if offered terms equal to or lower than the existing deal, even if exceeding the limit for a new signing.

That's assuming the embargo is soft. I don't recall seeing any confirmation either way.

Glad to finally have the list.

14 first team players contracted, the Marriott statement is 'interesting'.

Unless a number of extra players signed this team will be torn to pieces in the championship next season.

The team should consist of about 23 players.

Rooney doesn't instill confidence in me. 

If last seasons form continues into next season, I reckon Rooney has 2 months at the club, in those circumstances and with a potential points deduction he will not deserve to stay.

A run of results like last season is possible so maybe 2 months at the club.

5 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

That's assuming the embargo is soft. I don't recall seeing any confirmation either way.

Even with the hardest of hard embargoes I'd be surprised if we weren't allowed to extend an existing deal, especially due to current squad size and ratio of wage bill to (non-covid) revenue.

6 minutes ago, Oldben said:

Unless a number of extra players signed this team will be torn to pieces in the championship next season.

If last seasons form continues into next season, I reckon Rooney has 2 months at the club, in those circumstances and with a potential points deduction he will not deserve to stay.

Cheer up - we won the top league in the land with 12 players 

1 hour ago, Jubbs said:

But 14 doesn't include players like Watson, Ebosele, McDonald etc who were starting to feature more

We can't keep relying on academy players. Not all of them will be ready or good enough to make the step up. We need more senior pros or we're in big trouble. 

I suspect there will be a lot of very jealous owners, chief executives and finance directors who couldn’t hope to get thier costs down to our levels currently 

we might even sell Lawrence before his contract expires next summer and jozwiak if he has a good euro championship 

42 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

"absolutely terrifying" was pointless hyperbole

Pointless hyperbole? You mean pointlessly saying something not meant to be taken seriously which you seem to have taken quite seriously? Maybe I’m confused ??‍♂️ 

1 hour ago, Oldben said:

What has a potential points deduction got to do with whether Rooney deserves to stay? 

In and amongst all the chatter about prospective first team performance perhaps we ought to spare a thought for those under 23s that aren't having their contracts renewed.  Whenever I've watched them play a feature of the 23s has been their commitment to themselves, the club and their teammates. It's a tough world the football game and being very publicly told that 'you're not good enough' at the age of 20 odd must be very hard, especially at a time when hundreds of others are being told the same thing, when all you've dreamt of being is a footballer. This retained list is the public affirmation of something they've probably known for a while.  I guess it can't be easy for Darren Wassall (particularly given the decision about Ethan) and his team either.

It also adds to the feeling that having an artificial age limit makes it even more ruthless.  Why 23?  Some may not develop as people and footballers until they're 25.  At least with the old reserve team football you could allow someone to 'make it' that little bit later

3 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Can someone explain how Marriott's renewal got rejected by the EFL in Dec due to an embargo around registration of players yet the following month we signed/registered 5 loan players then in Feb CKR extended his contract?

No embargo was mentioned by club. The rejection of the registration could be down to any number of administrative issues.