Stadia Vision

I’m waiting for someone to do the classic Hitler and the advisors sat at the table looking at plans with the subtitles.

”Yes, look at this majestic new structure!  This new roof will bring millions in revenue throughout the season, helping to build our new empire in the premier league and then dominate Europe.”

”but, Mein Führer, a member on the dcfcfans  forum on the internet has found a catastrophic fault that could end up with your magnificent new roof being blown onto the roof of DW Sports or even in the the river Derwent, much to the delight of the Notts Forest lot over the boarder!”

EB6B92C4-E69B-4930-B2B3-261EAA372CF1.thumb.jpeg.b4f38da33eb33591e7273f584ebdc335.jpeg

95953EBF-F561-4D18-BBEA-F113BE40B368.jpeg

21 hours ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

That’s one hell of a kite attached to the roof. 
As someone who has (but never used) a structural engineering degree I’m fascinated in the forces involved in realising this design. Not to mention what the hell they’re making the component parts from.

And before you automatically dismiss wind as force on buildings, Google ‘Tacoma Narrow’s’

Space frame construction, we first used it on open area shopping centres in the mid 80’s as well as sports stadiums (Suncorp Stadium, The Gabba, the new stadium in Townsville). Because it is all triangulated in can actually be made out of fairly light gauge steel. Add in the curvature framework, that frame will be very strong. The other advantage of space frame is how quickly the frames can be installed. We have to allow for huge uploads here being in Cyclone rated areas so I would imagine it won’t be too much of an issue at PP.

1 hour ago, kingsy1884 said:

Looks lovely but you can put this on the shelf with "Pride Park Plaza".

A pipe dream unfortunately. I thought it was already covered at the time but there is little point investing that much money in a venue which can only realistically operate effectively 2-3 months of the year.

Pointless in my opinion. 

When it was originally proposed, wasn’t the whole point that it could be made ready/taken down quickly, opening it as an option to use in season. The summer venue market has many roofless stadia to choose from, but an enclosed pride park would have very little competition for really big shows in autumn. I might’ve misunderstood!

11 minutes ago, Indy said:

When it was originally proposed, wasn’t the whole point that it could be made ready/taken down quickly, opening it as an option to use in season. The summer venue market has many roofless stadia to choose from, but an enclosed pride park would have very little competition for really big shows in autumn. I might’ve misunderstood!

Problem is, thousands of people stood on a covering (like they use at the ice arena etc) would kill the grass. There's no facility at PP to slot the grass out I believe.

Mel's argument was that football alone means it's a totally inefficient use of a venue - 25 days of the year - he's right about that one.

So this could massively increase the use of the venue throughout the year. The issue wasn't just putting a roof on though, it was also protecting the pitch as a temporary surface would have to be placed over the grass each time there was a non-football event -plus the time it takes to install the surface & then take it up again, meaning that apart from international breaks, there may not be too many opportunities for events within the season. This means that you have to have many events during the close season - but what about relaying the pitch each Summer ?

Looking at the video, it also looks like the roof provides protection from the rain but as there are gaps for airflow, the temperature inside the ground would still be subject to daily air temperature.

How much would it actually cost to put the roof on ? As the stadium is now Mel's rather than DCFC's, the manufacturing cost would be his I guess but consequently, the revenue collected from non-football events would be his also rather than the clubs.

1 hour ago, ThePrisoner said:

Problem is, thousands of people stood on a covering (like they use at the ice arena etc) would kill the grass. There's no facility at PP to slot the grass out I believe.

They’ve got a system that takes 4 hours to put down an take up ready to go. This was explained at one of the charter meetings.

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

I’m waiting for someone to do the classic Hitler and the advisors sat at the table looking at plans with the subtitles.

”Yes, look at this majestic new structure!  This new roof will bring millions in revenue throughout the season, helping to build our new empire in the premier league and then dominate Europe.”

”but, Mein Führer, a member on the dcfcfans  forum on the internet has found a catastrophic fault that could end up with your magnificent new roof being blown onto the roof of DW Sports or even in the the river Derwent, much to the delight of the Notts Forest lot over the boarder!”

EB6B92C4-E69B-4930-B2B3-261EAA372CF1.thumb.jpeg.b4f38da33eb33591e7273f584ebdc335.jpeg

Did anyone get round to doing a hitler hears DCFC won their case against the EFL meme?

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

They’ve got a system that takes 4 hours to put down an take up ready to go. This was explained at one of the charter meetings.

Sorry, thought that was one of the minutes from the meetings that were not for public consumption...

Watched the video the other day when you shared it on Twitter Tom, not something I've seen before and in all honesty, I'm not a fan of how it looks.

The roof concept to bring in additional revenue, great, but it doesn't look natural, like a toupee if you like.

I guess it will always be difficult what with the roof being higher in the West Stand and the cost to replace the entire roof would be well into the millions.

It's just a shame Mel's vision wasn't seen when Pride Park was constructed, the location is perfect for events if parking could be addressed somehow.

Pride Park would be a very different place if built in the last few years.

The focus on fan experience, acoustics, individuality and identity in new stadiums is incredible and definitely not built into stadiums in the mid-90s.

Not easy to retrofit sadly. The plans for Leicester's ground expansion show that. Any add-on is always going to be awkward.

8 hours ago, Boycie said:

I think they could come up with better Hitler spoofs about us than the roof ?

5 minutes ago, TomBustler1884 said:

Pride Park would be a very different place if built in the last few years.

The focus on fan experience, acoustics, individuality and identity in new stadiums is incredible and definitely not built into stadiums in the mid-90s.

Not easy to retrofit sadly. The plans for Leicester's ground expansion show that. Any add-on is always going to be awkward.

That’s why it is only valued at 80 mill ?

3 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

That’s why it is only valued at 80 mill ?

That stuff doesn't add value, it adds experience.

The value comes from the rent paid by Greggs, the income from the suites as event spaces, the income from The Yard and Backyard, its value as real estate on Pride Park, etc.

That's my interpretation anyway.

1 minute ago, TomBustler1884 said:

That stuff doesn't add value, it adds experience.

The value comes from the rent paid by Greggs, the income from the suites as event spaces, the income from The Yard and Backyard, its value as real estate on Pride Park, etc.

That's my interpretation anyway.

I was joking ?