Yankee Doodle Derby

4 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Isn't that what journalists do?

Is Dawes capable of being cryptic though - I'm not too sure?

I'm not sure a ? emogi really counts as cryptic.

I do believe Dawes, Conway, Nickleson et al have to mind their good relationships with the club and *probably* know more than they can let on in public, especially with things that are ongoing or not certain. It's just a balancing act for them which can be frustraiting for us, and probably for them as well. And because the might know more than we do or they can say, it doesn't neccessarily mean that they do know more than we do.

Speaking to someone who used to work for them doubt this is good news for the customer - stock is overpriced and always problems getting it... already I noticed the prices on last years jerseys have gone from £12-55. Also, probably nothing to do with any new owners at all. 
maybe good deal for DCFC commercially though 

Edited by TheresOnlyWanChope

19 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Speaking to someone who used to work for them doubt this is good news for the customer - stock is overpriced and always problems getting it... already I noticed the prices on last years jerseys have gone from £12-55. Also, probably nothing to do with any new owners at all. 
maybe good deal for DCFC commercially though 

That'd be my assumption. Just was a deal to be done that looked good to the club.

5 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

That'd be my assumption. Just was a deal to be done that looked good to the club.

Yeah, makes sense for the club. Apparently, Man City and Everton are the key clubs for Fanatics over here or at least were. Know nothing about them really, just a conversation with an ex employee last week. 

I’m guessing this could be kiss goodbye to cheap deals on last season shirts for a while. Or deals on anything. Interesting how they’ve partnered with Derby over other clubs. Think they’re desperate to get involved with more English footy teams. Don’t see Derby as having a global fan base, maybe we will get a franchise in the states. Derby Rams Soccer. 

14 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

But why would they choose to do a deal with us?

This is meant to be the biggest merchandise deal outside of the Prem and, judging by the state of our club at the minute, I can't help but feel that there would be better choices elsewhere.

Unless, of course, this is just the Rooney factor, having spent some time over there in the US?

For the record, I'm inclined to agree with you. I just find the commercial side of this quite interesting.

Edited by Scott129
missing word

9 minutes ago, Scott129 said:

This is meant to be the biggest merchandise deal outside of the Prem and, judging by the state of our club at the minute, I can't help but feel that there would be better choices elsewhere.

Unless, of course, this is just the Rooney factor, having spent some time over there in the US?

For the record, I'm inclined to agree with you. I just find the commercial side of this quite interesting.

Rooney factors probably are present in this case.

15 minutes ago, Scott129 said:

As I mentioned earlier, we seem to be the only team they deal with outside of a top flight league at the moment. It’s weird and could mean something is bubbling away.

The Rooney factor is one thing, but not enough to justify a 10 year deal when there are loads of prem  teams that would be better money spinners right now.

On 08/07/2021 at 23:01, CBRammette said:

I think this is a probably a flight of fancy and proof that everyone in the world is connected but after looking at the new store management by Fanatics have just been following a trail of people through that unreliable internet thing (bored as hubbie watching Bond film)......

1. Fanatics running store - main owner seems to be Michael G Rubin. His wiki page shows this re his sports investments

"Philadelphia 76ers and NJ Devils ownershipEdit

In October 2011, Rubin bought a minority share in the Philadelphia 76ers.[27] Rubin is a member of the investment group that won a $280 million bid for the team. The other members of the investment group include Joshua Harris of the private equity firm Apollo Global Management, portfolio manager Art Wrubel, former Sacramento Kings executive Jason Levien, former Vail Resorts CEO Adam Aron, Martin J. Geller, David B. Heller, Travis Hennings, James Lassiter, David S. Blitzer, Will Smith & Jada Pinkett Smith, and Indonesian businessmen Handy Soetedjo & Erick Thohir."

2. Eric Thohir's wiki extract:

"Erick Thohir (born 30 May 1970) is an Indonesian businessman. He is the founder and chairman of Mahaka Group,[1] a holding company which focuses on media and entertainment. He was former owner and chairman of Inter Milan[2] and D.C. United"

then googling Thohir and Alonso......

3. "....Raja Sapta Oktohari’s involvement was reported by Football League World based on a podcast The Price of Football from football finance expert, Kieran Maguire.

Maguire said that there was financial support behind Erik Alonso, led by Raja Sapta Oktohari.

“There was a consortium and the money actually came from an Indonesian named Raja Sapta Oktohari who was involved with the Indonesian Olympic Committee. His father is a senior politician in the country and he is also friends with Erick Thohir who has a history at Inter Milan and DC United,” said Maguire.

However, this attachment was firmly denied by Erik Alonso when Kompas.com contacted him"

So nonsense or link from Fanatics to DC United to Indonesia to possible Alonso rumoured backer?  Or crazy bored slightly tipsy person with too much time overthinking new store management? 

Which Bond film?

42 minutes ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

Rubin owns a minority stake in Palace but they are the subject of a takeover from a US consortium. If they took over its highly likely he'd look for another UK investment 

Unless he is part of the US consortium increasing his share