Yankee Doodle Derby

2 hours ago, Jubbs said:

So much for all this "tomorrow is the day" and USA flags all over twitter the other day...

People will post stuff purely for likes and attention. Then when they rightfully get some flak for intentionally leading fans on, cry about it and take a vow of silence forevermore... I'll never understand it.

36 minutes ago, Kernow said:

People will post stuff purely for likes and attention. Then when they rightfully get some flak for intentionally leading fans on, cry about it and take a vow of silence forevermore... I'll never understand it.

The weirdest thing is it's not kids or young'uns from  'Generation Insta' doing it, it's 40 year old guys living in their mums' basements. Barry the Ram's twitter feed has a backdrop that waffles on about ignoring idiots, or something like that, which must have nearly broke the irony scale into pieces when he posted it.

8 hours ago, jono said:

I love your optimism but I honestly wonder if any championship clubs make a profit. Well run or not. I can’t see an income much beyond 30 million. Deduct player wages, running costs and transfers not much left ! 
Who in this league (parachute recipients apart) turns a profit ? I suppose you might get a tightly run Luton or recently promoted league 1 outfit or maybe someone who got a big sale to the prem, but ordinary trading profit ? Very few 

There was 2 or 3 that made a profit i think. Can't remember who, but think it was teams like rotherham. If we didn't keep selling players at a loss it would be a lot easier to remain sustainable. Brentford managed to offset a lot of their costs with player sales.

9 hours ago, jono said:

I love your optimism but I honestly wonder if any championship clubs make a profit. Well run or not. I can’t see an income much beyond 30 million. Deduct player wages, running costs and transfers not much left ! 
Who in this league (parachute recipients apart) turns a profit ? I suppose you might get a tightly run Luton or recently promoted league 1 outfit or maybe someone who got a big sale to the prem, but ordinary trading profit ? Very few 

We have much more fan based revenue than the average. Player wages (post covid) will come down materially. I think we have a good chance of promotion without losses if we have strong management  (football and corporate) in place. Hope one of these US groups will bring that. 

10 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Our club is on the block for peanuts. We have recently come close to promotion despite having average player recruiting  (Lampard’s loans excepted). In non covid times, well run, we should more than break even. And with strong player recruitment and a strong chief executive, we have a decent chance of promotion in the next 5 years. What would you estimate is the return on investment if we make the PL and stay there? Must be massive.  And if we don’t gain promotion, and the club is run well, you won’t lose money. If an investor has a good management team, and is investing a fraction of his net worth, why not ? 

not sure whether you are being serious?

The club hasn't issued accounts in the covid era so the current situation could be far worse than what we saw previously

Generally the club runs close the P&S limits so it loses £13m pa as an average.  Mel introduces capital to balance this cost and that is normally £2m pm.  So we lose around £40m pa by my calculations.  We made a profit in 2018 of £15m but that was after the sale of the stadium.

When you mention strong player recruitment I guess that is a future hope because I can't see that as one of our current skill sets. 

1 hour ago, GenBr said:

There was 2 or 3 that made a profit i think. Can't remember who, but think it was teams like rotherham. If we didn't keep selling players at a loss it would be a lot easier to remain sustainable. Brentford managed to offset a lot of their costs with player sales.

these are the official figures after excluding ground sales.  Not the whole truth though because some like us have owners that inject money to keep the costs below P&S

image.thumb.png.48bad9b54c079d233728a625c2c6f8ba.png

16 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Genuine question, I've seen one or two people mention the word Disney with regards the takeover, is there a link to Disney and who is buying Derby, or is it just a reference to the last American takeover we had when it was falsley reported we were being purchased by Walt himself?

Who knows.  His family are from Norton Disney in the East Midlands originally. This is The Derby County show.  Weirder craps happened.

6 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Who knows.  His family are from Norton Disney in the East Midlands originally. This is The Derby County show.  Weirder craps happened.

Is that true about Norton Disney? We got married not far from there and I always wondered how Norton Disney got its name.

Every day is a school day.

31 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Genuine question, I've seen one or two people mention the word Disney with regards the takeover, is there a link to Disney and who is buying Derby, or is it just a reference to the last American takeover we had when it was falsley reported we were being purchased by Walt himself?

Think the Disney family are part of the Portsmouth ownership group so doubt they will be involved 

Just now, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Is that true about Norton Disney? We got married not far from there and I always wondered how Norton Disney got its name.

Every day is a school day.

It is.  From Norton Disney, onto Ireland for a couple of hundred years, then his great grandfather headed to the states as far as can be known .?

46 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Walt himself? He died 55 years ago ?

55 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I think they were just calling us a Mickey Mouse club...

1 hour ago, Spanish said:

When you mention strong player recruitment I guess that is a future hope because I can't see that as one of our current skill sets. 

This is exactly the point.
I was called Walter Mitty because I thought Dell was a possible buyer. I am saying that there is a logical business case for anyone to buy us now, provided they have cash to splash if we go up. That case involves the buyer viewing our past recruitment as poor; and having confidence in their ability to do better. 
Do I think Dell will buy us ? Probably not. Their returns from the lending strategy are handsome, as was pointed out above. Do I think they’d be stupid to buy us ? No

16 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

This is exactly the point.
I was called Walter Mitty because I thought Dell was a possible buyer. I am saying that there is a logical business case for anyone to buy us now, provided they have cash to splash if we go up. That case involves the buyer viewing our past recruitment as poor; and having confidence in their ability to do better. 
Do I think Dell will buy us ? Probably not. Their returns from the lending strategy are handsome, as was pointed out above. Do I think they’d be stupid to buy us ? No

will have to splash cash to stay where we are

2 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Everyone who says they're going to buy us Disney have the money. Quite frankly they're taking the Mickey.