Yankee Doodle Derby

5 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Based on what?

Can't see the correlation between him being incredibly wealthy and there being no chance of him buying a UK football club.

Would also venture, on a general note, there is zero chance of Erik the Bulshitter being involved in ANY future takeover bid. The kid's a two-bob chancer, narcissist and raving attention-seeker who has now been fully exposed on all counts. 

Please do not post a picture of Erik fully exposed

4 hours ago, StarterForTen said:

Again all very fair points. But I don’t give as much weight to point 2. Leicester might be a slightly bigger city than Derby but then they have two clubs to support - Tigers are the best supported rugby side in the UK. 

And Leicester weren’t in that rosey a state in 2010. Admittedly they were better positioned than we are now but they didn’t have the academy set up we have.

But we’re getting distracted by semantics, the point is that a journey for Derby like Leicester have been on is not too far of a stretch of the imagination.

Like you said, let's not worry too much about the 'which club is bigger' debate. Leicester weren't in a good position in 2010, they broke FFP to get promoted, they got an owner that was perfect for them. Then they got a little lucky along the way, indeed very, very lucky. I think it's an incredible stretch of the imagination to expect any club to be going on a similar journey to Leicester ten years later, with the gap that has developed since. 

Again, I don't say Derby can't be a Premiership club but so much has to change to make that so. Once there, well that's the point it all starts. It won't happen in my lifetime - bump this message when it does and I will happily eat humble pie for all to see.

3 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Yes it is but its hardly a thriving metropolis in comparison. Leicester population 330k, Derby 250k & having lived in Leicester for a few years, I'd wager still that much of the population there (many of whom can be transient or temporary manual workers) don't follow the team. Compare with the big cities in the country (Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham) which are 1m minimum metropolitan area.

As to Leicester having a wider hinterland - they basically have a load of countryside & market towns to the south & east, not exactly hardcore catchment areas. To the North is Derby & Nottingham & to the west is Birmingham - they're going to struggle to get traction that side. They will undoubtedly have a bigger global footprint than us now but in terms of UK based support, I'd still fancy us to get similar crowds home & away even at our level.

As to your points about it never happening to us or the gap now too big - whilst we have a fluid promotion/relegation system, there will always be opportunities to move up the pyramid. The money gap has always been there but there will only ever be 11 men on a pitch & fresh ideas + complacency/poor management of established clubs will always see change. There are so many examples of clubs dramatically changing status in 5/10 years - we've seen it ourselves between 1966-1972 & 1984-1989. It can happen & it will happen again.

We're not comparing Leicester to Manchester, Leeds or Birmingham - we're comparing it to Derby. Or, rather, we're not because there's no point - futile discussion and you know how many league points, strikers or academy starlets it buys you? Not one, no matter how long you scratch the itch.

Your point that it will happen again is bang on true - no widdling on your french fries by disagreeing with that. But there's a huge amount has to happen at this club before that journey can even start - and it needs to be more than just repeating again and again that we were founder members of the Football League in 188bloody8 like it gives us special license to believe. And there's also a lot of other clubs who are better placed - today - for it to happen to them, without listing them all out again. And ten years later the job is a lot harder for the very reason outlined in the very first post of the 'this is what we're up against' thread.

Basically, you're glass half full, I'm glass half empty. And nothing you and I can say will likely change your position or mine.

4 hours ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Never mind the fact that Leicester went into Admin and have never paid back their creditors and went up by breaking FFP. It’s all sweetness and light at the KP 

They did, they bought a different lottery ticket than us and their numbers came up, rightly or wrongly. Coulda, shoulda, woulda! If only we'd been playing in the 1997 League Cup Final then maybe Vichai would have come support us and we'd be the current FA Cup holders. For your info, Luton knocked us out, who then lost to Wimbledon, who then lost to Leicester in the semis so it could have been us. Time to get over it methinks.

200.gif.8eeee02ead28d9a55ed828fe4815a71e.gif

7 hours ago, Wignall12 said:

New Centre Half ? ......is he German perchance ?

6 hours ago, DerbyPride said:

What would happen if we ever won any silverware at Wembley? He'd never be able to climb those steps for the trophy presentation.

Won't happen, even if we do sign him, he's bound to rupture his ACL (automatic critical lubrication) unit 4 games in.

Edited by Grimbeard

7 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Like you said, let's not worry too much about the 'which club is bigger' debate. Leicester weren't in a good position in 2010, they broke FFP to get promoted, they got an owner that was perfect for them. Then they got a little lucky along the way, indeed very, very lucky. I think it's an incredible stretch of the imagination to expect any club to be going on a similar journey to Leicester ten years later, with the gap that has developed since. 

Again, I don't say Derby can't be a Premiership club but so much has to change to make that so. Once there, well that's the point it all starts. It won't happen in my lifetime - bump this message when it does and I will happily eat humble pie for all to see.

We're not comparing Leicester to Manchester, Leeds or Birmingham - we're comparing it to Derby. Or, rather, we're not because there's no point - futile discussion and you know how many league points, strikers or academy starlets it buys you? Not one, no matter how long you scratch the itch.

Your point that it will happen again is bang on true - no widdling on your french fries by disagreeing with that. But there's a huge amount has to happen at this club before that journey can even start - and it needs to be more than just repeating again and again that we were founder members of the Football League in 188bloody8 like it gives us special license to believe. And there's also a lot of other clubs who are better placed - today - for it to happen to them, without listing them all out again. And ten years later the job is a lot harder for the very reason outlined in the very first post of the 'this is what we're up against' thread.

Basically, you're glass half full, I'm glass half empty. And nothing you and I can say will likely change your position or mine.

They did, they bought a different lottery ticket than us and their numbers came up, rightly or wrongly. Coulda, shoulda, woulda! If only we'd been playing in the 1997 League Cup Final then maybe Vichai would have come support us and we'd be the current FA Cup holders. For your info, Luton knocked us out, who then lost to Wimbledon, who then lost to Leicester in the semis so it could have been us. Time to get over it methinks.

Is Leeds finishing 9th in their first season back in the premiership is also another strange stellar alignment, never to be repeated too? Just wanted to check what aspirations are acceptable and which are not ?

Let's be honest here. Nobody is suggesting that we're going to do a Leicester and top the Premiership, only that there are as many plausible reasons for us securing an owner who is a good fit, as not. We're probably due a change of luck anyway, for those that believe in such things.

Honestly, I think it's very odd that something so simple is such a massive stretch for you, but if a half empty glass is you tipple of preference, so be it. Perhaps pessimism is how you insulate yourself from the bumps in the road, who knows, but not everyone wants to think that way and no matter how dismissive you choose to be, it wont change the fact that you've been presented with arguments that are every bit as plausible as your own. 

And FWIW, even if the possibilities being mooted were as outlandish as you portray, others will still dare to dream, irrespective of the outcomes and no matter how much anyone rubbishes the club or sneers at their relentless optimism. Why? Simply because for many, the dream is what being a supporter is all about.

8 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Where did I say being founder members of the League gave us a special license? Never mentioned it

And you brought up the point about Leicester being the bigger city as if that was a relevant criteria to their success. It isnt as they are in a similiar bracket to us. That was the point I was making re Leeds, Birmingham etc.

Don't disagree theres a huge amount of work to be done with this club though. Even if we lazily assume the relegated sides will always fill positions 1-3 in the Championship every year, that still leaves 3 other playoff berths & a one shot game at Wembley. As we know anything can happen in one game. So we should realistically believe we can finish 4th-6th.

Instead we finished 21st with only a points deduction for an opponent saving us, we're massively in debt despite having financial advantages over the vast majority & we have a very poor manager by the standards of this division. So complaining about the riches of the Premier League & its bottom sides is futile. We are the architects of our downfall & complaining about it/insisting it should change will get us precisely nowhere.

Edited by LeedsCityRam

2 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Is Leeds finishing 9th in their first season back in the premiership is also another strange stellar alignment, never to be repeated too? Just wanted to check what aspirations are acceptable and which are not ?

Let's be honest here. Nobody is suggesting that we're going to do a Leicester and top the Premiership, only that there are as many plausible reasons for us securing an owner who is a good fit, as not. We're probably due a change of luck anyway, for those that believe in such things.

Honestly, I think it's very odd that something so simple is such a massive stretch for you, but if a half empty glass is you tipple of preference, so be it. Perhaps pessimism is how you insulate yourself from the bumps in the road, who knows, but not everyone wants to think that way and no matter how dismissive you choose to be, it wont change the fact that you've been presented with arguments that are every bit as plausible as your own. 

And FWIW, even if the possibilities being mooted were as outlandish as you portray, others will still dare to dream, irrespective of the outcomes and no matter how much anyone rubbishes the club or sneers at their relentless optimism. Why? Simply because for many, the dream is what being a supporter is all about.

All aspirations are acceptable, this is a forum after all. As I have said, more than once in this thread, I have no doubt that Derby can become an established Premiership club and have all the assets - on and off the field - to do so. But they won't do it because we are a one club city or a founder member of the Football League. They will do it because the infrastructure is in place to do so. And we are a long way from that being in place - because we are massively in debt, because there are many other clubs that would probably be more attractive to an investor and because the gap has widened significantly in recent years. It can happen and Leeds, Burnley and Brighton have shown it is possible. Bournemouth, Portsmouth and Stoke have also shown that it's not always easy to stay there once you arrive.

Will we be in the Prem in five years time? Seriously, I doubt it but maybe. Ten? I hope so.  But this is, like most discussion on here, a pretty meaningless exchange - not sure of the point of it tbh, you're not budging in your view and I don't think I can be bothered to get on the 'we'll be in Europe, we just need £XXm for a new CB, GK, CF, LW, RB etc' train again - done it enough times now. All I want is a game of football to watch, if we win then great.

Edited by BaaLocks

10 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

I think it's an incredible stretch of the imagination to expect any club to be going on a similar journey to Leicester ten years later, with the gap that has developed since.

Not an incredible stretch of the imagination, though it may be an incredible stretch of the reality!

12 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TARDIS

The doctor can go back to early 2016 and tell Mel not to sign nick Blackman and not bother sacking Clement.

Bearing in mind the lack of impact they made, it's infuriating that just not signing Blackman and Anya would have seen us ok with FFP.

Edited by sage

2 minutes ago, Boycie said:

If I was Mel I’d go back and sack Clement again just for signing Nick Blackman.

?

thing is I'm still unclear on how DCFC selects and recruits players.  How much is the manager involved in this?