Which player did you initially not rate but then grew to love?

CBRammette

Theo Robinson.  He hardly ever knew where he or the ball was, where he was heading, how he got there, how he was going to receive and what he would do with the ball once he got it, but there was something about that boy, slightly magical.

On a Manager note.  A Liverpool friend of mine and i competed in Championship Manager, he with Liverpool of course and i with little Derby.  Of course i ended higher than he, but what was of particular interest and delight to me was playing the league cup final against Liverpool and warning it's manager before hand of the wild unpredictability of Theo Robinson, to which he answered with a cascade of names of some of Liverpool's flying forwards, while throwing in a few defenders and a smirk.  The game was steel against steel, 0-0 at halftime, 0-0 at 75 minutes, when Robinson wins the ball on the midfield line, runs straight up the center, bypasses 1, 2 ,3, 4 defenders is outside the box facing an onrushing Schmeichel (he bought him) and slots it in the far corner.  My friend was shrieking.

Edited by ramit
typo

1 minute ago, ramit said:

Theo Robinson.  He hardly ever knew where he or the ball was, where he was heading, how he got there, how he was going to receive and what he would do with the ball once he got it, but there was something about that boy, slightly magical.

On a Manager note.  A Liverpool friend of mine and i competed in Championship Manager, he with Liverpool of course and i with little Derby.  Of course i ended higher than he, but what was of particular interest and delight to me was playing the league cup final against Liverpool and warning it's manager before hand of the wild unpredictability of Theo Robinson, to which he answered with a cascade of names of some of Liverpool's flying forwards, while throwing in a few defenders and a smirk.  The game was steel against steel, 0-0 at halftime, 0-0 at 75 minutes, when Robinson wins the ball on the midfield line, runs straight up the center, bypasses 1, 2 ,3, 4 defenders is outside the box facing an onrushing Schmeichel (he bought him) and slots it in the far corner.  My friend was shrieking.

My favourite Theo Robinson moment. 2-1 up against Birmingham last minute. Takes the ball into the corner, trips and falls on it then keeps it trapped between his legs for 30 seconds occasionally let it go for half a second to keep the ball in play. Eventually he gets a free kick as two strikers kick crap out of him in frustration.  Think he got 14 goals one year. Not bad for 200k.

There's a few in Billy Davies' side not so much I didn't rate but I thought were probably past their best when we signed them but I was a bit wrong - Matt Oakley, Mark Edworthy, Johnno, Big Dave, Paul Peschisolido, even the legend Stevie Howard were all entering or into their 30's. On that note one player who does fit this topic - I took a while to warm to Bywater as a keeper, in fact I've generally been pretty harsh on our keepers since Mart Poom. I thought the same age wise with Darren Bent about him being past it and he was good for at least a season. Moral of the story is stop being so ageist I guess ?

Edited by DCFCJim87

I’m struggling. It’s usually the other way round for me. Tend to be excited to see them play and then learn to hate them. 

I guess the only one I can think of is Gareth Roberts. Was firmly in his fan club as the steadiest average player ever. Guess a more obvious one would be Gary Teale. 

6 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Thought Shefki Kuqi was a complete waste of a loan but for the dozen matches he played for us he was a perfect fit for the system we were playing at the time.

Paul Dickov was a lot better than I thought he was.

I had the player in my mind, but name escaped me. Maybe I just love him so much that I can't remember his name...

Paul Dickov it is. Diminutive, yet led the line with his workrate damn well.

Think I'll go to listen some The Doors now. Hello, I love you would you tell me your name..

Matt Oakley for me. 

Been around for what seemed ages as a fairly nondescript player for Southampton. 

Even their fans didn't seem to rate him much compared to legends such as Francis benali.... 

But did a really good job for the Billy Davies midfield and was a very likeable/articulate character for us as well. 

And then Jewell sold him to bring in some complete shizzle... 

5 minutes ago, 24Charlie said:

Shinniesta.

A slow start but if everyone had put his effort in this term we would have been safe a long time ago.

The Shinnie/Beliek partnership looked like it could blow this division apart but was over all too soon.

Over just before Wazza and Liam had the idea of playing them both as inverted wingers to "provide cover".... ?

1 minute ago, Donnyram said:

Sorry, but has to be said.......Chris Martin.  I honestly thought he was a bit of a donkey when he first joined on loan.  The rest is history as he was a key part of some of the best football I’ve seen from a Derby team since the Jim Smith era.

Was just about to say the same. Think he had been on loan at Swindon and not done great. Was massively underwhelmed when we signed him and cried myself to sleep when he let him go.

Chris Martin, even when he was scoring I thought you lazy ****womble casually strolling round not chasing defenders down.

Then I watched him properly and realised that’s not his game and his hold up play was pivotal in our free flowing sexy football which I miss dearly!