Big Summer

DCFC1388

Right now, emotions are high and relief is the main feeling. Let’s just sit in that for a couple of weeks. We are a club crying out for direction and a plan.

Start with the takeover - find a suitable new owner and bring them in.

Next, manager. Identify the man (and his team) that is going to deliver the vision of the club.

Then sort out the players that we have that we want to keep around next season. Ideally, with so many out of contract, we identify the areas of need quickly.

Identify our targets and bring in a blend of players (those with small price tags and future resale value, along with low cost experienced veterans to steer the young players in the right direction).

Get a proper preseason in place, and watch the team get to work.

This is my ideal Summer/start to next season. Lots of best case scenarios, but there needs to be some more optimism around the place. We start next season on an equal footing with the other 23 teams

4 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Young talent that nearly got us relegated when we relied on them heavily. Relying on youth will not bring us success. Also Evatt having only managed in league 1 and lower levels is not going to attract the foreign players we will likely be in for, Rooney will attract players from abroad of a higher standard than what we could get from league 1 or the SPL if we are looking outside the championship and also we will get better loan signings. 

That's idealistic stuff to me, as long as the new owner are willing to spend good money and have a good recruitment plan in place I don't care where they are from or what they say on Twitter. We failed by spending good amounts of money in players like Johnson and Anya but we are still more likely to have success by spending a good amount whilst still using the very best of our young players, in comparison to free signings and relying on youth. If spending pittance made you as likely to be successful as anyone else then owners at this level wouldn't spend and keep money in their pockets. 

Look at the teams going up recently, they are the teams with parachute payments spending alot, your chances of success are always going to be higher when you have money to play with. Also not convinced on the quality of our young Players, some good players but overall not enough to rely on. 

Young talent that all thrived under Cocu. The problem is the manager totally out of his depth, not the players.

Also re foreign talent, turns out we are very limited in who we can bring in due to work permits post-Brexit so the avenue for success will have to be young players, lower league step ups & improving existing players.

Think we've discussed spending before but its important to look at teams who have gone up recently & see they largely havent spent their way out of the division...Leeds, Sheff Utd, Norwich (first time). Teams that come down with parachute payments also don't tend to spend...they retain their squads & that quality tells at this level. Bottom line is whenever we've spent big, its been a disaster. Its smarts that will get us up, not chucking cash at it.

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Clear out Rooney first. Then everything else follows. 

I am ambivalent towards Rooney but imo clearing him out is not priority.  Priority is Mel being decisive on the future of club,  find a proper buyer or have another go yourself,  if we don't sort that side of things out no manager will succeed. 

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Bottom of the table isn't thriving. Ending the previous season with 6? losses isn't thriving.

Ermmm. We took 4 points from last 5 games.

We currently have taken 1 from 7. If that gave you concerns about the following season then it certainly should this time!

45 minutes ago, r4derby said:

Right now, emotions are high and relief is the main feeling. Let’s just sit in that for a couple of weeks. We are a club crying out for direction and a plan.

Next, manager. Identify the man (and his team) that is going to deliver the vision of the club.

Then sort out the players that we have that we want to keep around next season. Ideally, with so many out of contract, we identify the areas of need quickly.

Identify our targets and bring in a blend of players (those with small price tags and future resale value, along with low cost experienced veterans to steer the young players in the right direction).

This is my ideal Summer/start to next season. Lots of best case scenarios, but there needs to be some more optimism around the place. We start next season on an equal footing with the other 23 teams

Very sensible plan ?

2 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

Ermmm. We took 4 points from last 5 games.

We currently have taken 1 from 7. If that gave you concerns about the following season then it certainly should this time!

The previous season when we could have pushed for top 6, crumbled under pressure.

I’d be very surprised if Clarke returned, I think he’s absolutely brilliant, too good for Brighton 

Roberts is probably going to be too much simply because he’s from City

I would like Edmundson back and I think it’s feasible

I do wonder if the club will cash in one of our youngsters.. would have said Knight but his value is considerably down since January.. perhaps Buchanan is closest to his peak value of the four (bird and sibley too)

I think Mengi will be back and maybe another United youngster, no idea who though 

I think Lawrence is out of contract next summer so the club will surely sell

Waggy will have to take a cut to get a contract but would offer it if he accepted something affordable. Same for Wis 

1 hour ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I was thinking of wages from a cashflow point of view i.e. the club becomes easier to finance on an ongoing basis with a lower wage bill which makes it easier on Mel's pocket & for our prospective new owners.

The amortisation relates to our financial accounts & a lot of it is guesswork given that I believe we've not submitted 18/19 or 19/20 accounts yet. Yes, we will need to act within constraints on FFP & amortisation method will affect that but removal or renegotiation of big wage earners like Curtis, Waggy & Wisdom will give us headroom. So will player sales & I fully expect a bìg sale, probably Jozwiak. That should give us enough room to bring in the faces we need.

Also dont fully understand the ramifications of new ownership on our FFP situation or how stringent the EFL will be given the pandemic has destroyed revenue streams (as no crowds allowed)

18/19 figures were stated in the original EFL decision document. A massive £25.1m figure was stated for the amortisation iirc

What are peoples thoughts on jack Marriott moving forward ?

clearly isn’t the man to play in a Phillip cocu slow paced one up top with everything infront of the opposition 

is there scope though for a role for him in a more direct , into the channels or day I say it ... off a focal point like CKR ... surely we can’t rule that out we will still need to work within constraints .. we own him and if Rooney thinks there’s something there still I wouldn’t say no 

might leave a little more wriggle room for strengthening else where 

Iv not been Marriotts biggest fan ... but that’s been as much to do with how he’s been deployed certainly wouldn’t rule him out in the right system far from it 

Edited by NottsRam77

1 hour ago, r4derby said:

Can I send that to the club please 

I don't think we should get rid of many players, we just need MORE players on top of what we've already got. We need more experience, more leaders and more quality in attacking areas. We just need a better overall squad that is well balanced.

1 minute ago, NottsRam77 said:

What are peoples thoughts on jack Marriott moving forward ?

clearly isn’t the man to play in a Phillip cocu slow paced one up top with everything infront of the opposition 

is there scope though for a role for him in a more direct , into the channels or day I say it ... off a focal point like CKR ... surely we can’t rule that out we will still need to work within constraints .. we own him and if Rooney thinks there’s something there still I wouldn’t say no 

might leave a little more wriggle room for strengthening else where 

Iv not been Marriotts biggest fan ... but that’s been as much to do with how he’s been deployed certainly wouldn’t rule him out in the right system far from it 

He would suit to 442, which we might continue with if Rooney stays. Problem is that I don't think Rooney appreciates him that much... And if we get another manager I don't think we would go with 442 and in other tactics he is useless.

So, whatever happens, I think he'll be gone. Most likely on loan somewhere and we have to pay big percentage of his salary.

I'd like to know whose idea was to extend his contract...

2 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

He would suit to 442, which we might continue with if Rooney stays. Problem is that I don't think Rooney appreciates him that much... And if we get another manager I don't think we would go with 442 and in other tactics he is useless.

So, whatever happens, I think he'll be gone. Most likely on loan somewhere and we have to pay big percentage of his salary.

I'd like to know whose idea was to extend his contract...

Great question