Unpopular opinion

roboto

3 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Steve McClaren has never succeeded as a manager and Wayne Rooney (as a manager) is comparable to Sir Alex Ferguson and Brian Clough?

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

People seem to forget that FC Twente have won the Eredivisie one time in their history and that was under Steve McClaren. If that's not managerial success I don't know what is. 

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

People seem to forget that FC Twente have won the Eredivisie one time in their history and that was under Steve McClaren. If that's not managerial success I don't know what is. 

I can’t believe it’s even a question, really. After what he did at Boro, Twente...he’s the best manager we’ve had in the last ten years...twice!

Perhaps trophies/silverware/promotions are the only merit you have for success. If so, OK. But that’s just not how I see the game. 

1 minute ago, Nuwtfly said:

I can’t believe it’s even a question, really. After what he did at Boro, Twente...he’s the best manager we’ve had in the last ten years...twice!

Perhaps trophies/silverware/promotions are the only merit you have for success. If so, OK. But that’s just not how I see the game. 

The silverware point has always been a disingenous one because it ignores huge swathes of context. Pochettino never won a trophy at Spurs, yet provided the context of what he achieved there you'd be a fool to say he did a bad job. McClaren is the same, did a wonderful job at all 3 clubs you mentioned. It's disrespectful for people to compare Rooney to him. 

Judge him just by the last couple of months and yes, it looks bad. But what happened before that was pretty impressive. He took a team that were bottom under Cocu (an experienced, successful manager) and basically got us to safety with promotion-level form. We won five in six championship games which basically saved our season. And all this with only CKR up front (I mean he's done well, but hardly prolific!) and then a potentially career-ending injury to the one player we couldn't afford to lose. (If Bielik stayed fit I'm fairly confident we finish mid-table.)

None of this squad are 'his' players. Most of the loans were okay given they were clearly last-minute scrambles. With a bit of time (and, please God, money) he might actually set up a decent team. And if there is anything like a positive story to tell about Derby, he will be able to get players other managers can't. Lampard did that, it made him look a much better manager, and it nearly got us promoted.

There are a lot of things that worry me more than Rooney being manager next season.

Edited by vonwright

If Rooney's not being 'doing things his own way' for the last 35 games, who's been in charge? He's been doing whatever pleases him since he rocked, up including eating half of Greggs during lockdown #1 and disappearing off for a charity game when he should have been working hard with the squad at Derby.

As for loyalty, that's the funniest thing I've heard in years. Wazza's known for a lot of things, but loyalty sure AF ain't one of them ?

7 hours ago, Norman said:

Not sure what is baalocks there? Did Rotherham not concede in the 88th minute. A goal that kept us up? 

His post is baalocks that's what. I have read some tripe on this forum but that post from@i-Ram is ridiculous. Please tell me he was joking and that it was some weird attempt at humor?

7 hours ago, Andicis said:

People seem to forget that Bradford City were promoted to the Premier League one time in their history and that was under Paul Jewell. People seem to forget that Hull City won promotion to the top level of English football in 2008 for the first time in the club's 104-year history and that was under Phil Brown. If those are not managerial successes I don’t know are.

Off you go Rooney you complete novice. There are so many men of proven success waiting in the wings.

On 08/05/2021 at 15:45, plymouthram said:

You need to read my comments again, I stated Cocu/recruitment/scouts etc, not Mel. Why are you blaming him. Cocu spent £10m on a midfielder in Beliek who is a class player but should we have possibly spent on a striker

Of course, just look under 'goalscorers' on eBay or nip into "Strikers" on the High Street!

Can't see what's complicated about that.

(Otherwise start taking advice from Steve McClaren 'on board'!)

6 minutes ago, Igorwasking said:

We need a proper pre season - with players coming in and time to settle.

We’ve not had one of those for three years - and for that reason I want Rooney to stay.

We are all clambering for stability - but most want to start with change?

Should have sacked him Saturday night. Then we would have had what you wanted anyway. 

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

If Rooney's not being 'doing things his own way' for the last 35 games, who's been in charge? He's been doing whatever pleases him since he rocked, up including eating half of Greggs during lockdown #1 and disappearing off for a charity game when he should have been working hard with the squad at Derby.

As for loyalty, that's the funniest thing I've heard in years. Wazza's known for a lot of things, but loyalty sure AF ain't one of them ?

Agreed Rooney has been doing things his own way for the last 35 games with a poor squad (which he inherited) who were bottom of the table and winless in god knows how long (and that was with an experienced manager who had won 3 Dutch league titles). In those games he took us off the bottom of the table and finished with enough points from the total games played to see us outside of the relegation zone after the final game.

The whole season was unacceptable and the finishing weeks were in unbearable but the rookie manager kept us safe - whilst the “experienced” Darren Moore/Tony Pulis and Paul Warne didn’t at their respective clubs. 

Potato ???????/ Potato ?? 

From the Curtis Davies interview on TalkSport it seems like he is sure Rooney will stay and also mentions that this is the chance Rooney will get to build his own team and then he can be judged on that.

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

This is a really excellent article on Rooney’s time in management so far and what the future may hold:

The final paragraph seemed particularly apt...

23E5AF7C-9565-481C-9313-2E21334C87FE.jpeg

He's a QPR fan with an axe to grind. It's clickbait.

We finished 4th bottom of course things have to improve. ?

I was thinking Rooney out right up to his post match interview.

As a result of his interview I then felt he has been keeping quiet, biting his tongue with regards to the board and his January transfer dealings being clipped. He spoke of commitment to the club, even if we had gone down, and how he wants/needs answers and next season starts tonight.

Won me over

Still I am English but after watching braveheart I smeared my face blue borrowed a skirt and ran around shouting "freedom" at the top of my voice.

Sucker for a good speech me !!

11 hours ago, Andicis said:

Rooney certainly didn't carry us to safety, other teams just allowed us to limp over the line. 

You could also say that Rooney’s excellent early results gave us enough to rise from the bottom of the table and survive thereby carrying us to safety. ??‍♂️

Just now, Nuwtfly said:

It's always clickbait or nonsense when you don't agree with it, isn't it?

No I can agree with clickbait and nonsense. Just not in this case. ?

You seem to be under the impression that there is only ever 'one truth'. So although things can be 'black & white' there are also lots of grey areas!