Unpopular opinion

roboto

2 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

It's never been revealed whether Bielik was Cocu's signing or whether it was already in the pipeline.

Either way, it was the points won in the games in which he played that kept us up.

Not Rooney's management in the games since Bielik was injured.

Didn’t the DET do an interview with Joe McLaren where he said they were tracking Bielik for a few years? So not Cocu’s signing either. 

Just now, SparxTheRam said:

This squad has been on a steady decline for years, the likes of Forsyth, Lawrence, Wisdom, Roos etc have passed thier expiry date so there's a natural decline, we need to totally revamp the squad, we need to have better players to complement the young talent we do have.

Sibley, Buchanan, Knight etc have gone backwards a little bit this year even before Rooney took over.

It didn't decline from 10th to relegation fodder in one season. 

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

It didn't decline from 10th to relegation fodder in one season. 

Well clearly it did.....

So if you got a new manager then you wouldn't make any signings? You'd be happy to keep all these players, no others and finish 10th again?

1 minute ago, SparxTheRam said:

Well clearly it did.....

So if you got a new manager then you wouldn't make any signings? You'd be happy to keep all these players, no others and finish 10th again?

Why would you not make signings anyway? But even in the dumb case that we did that, I'd expect them to finish above 4th from bottom. It didn't regress, the coaching is just poo. Badly coached team without a clue how to play. 

9 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Well he’s played for us, so we know who he is!

Evatt also has managerial experience at three clubs.

Why the obsession with a name?

Chesterfield, Barrow and Bolton?

Wow, wave the flags.... 

He might be a great manager but would you be happy with bringing in someone who is in essence a non league manager prior to this year?

Not my obsession with the name, but it attracts sponsors, it attracts players and I don't think you can honestly say that Evatt is a better manager but doesn't bring any of the above...

Now if we were talking Chris Wilder it's a different story.... 

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Why would you not make signings anyway? But even in the dumb case that we did that, I'd expect them to finish above 4th from bottom. It didn't regress, the coaching is just poo. Badly coached team without a clue how to play. 

Do players have no responsibility then? Presumably they are all automatons that have every move decided by the coaching in your scenario.... 

1 minute ago, SparxTheRam said:

Do players have no responsibility then? Presumably they are all automatons that have every move decided by the coaching in your scenario.... 

They do but ultimately it is the manager who takes responsibility and loses his job...

I think getting the takeover sorted is more important than the managerial situation, we've gone through stages this season where for whatever reason the players haven't been paid, there was minimal investment in a poor side from last season and then next to nothing in the loan market when we really were desperate in January. Won't matter who is in charge next season if Mel Morris is still here imo. 

Just now, SparxTheRam said:

Wow, wave the flags.... 

He might be a great manager but would you be happy with bringing in someone who is in essence a non league manager prior to this year?

Not my obsession with the name, but it attracts sponsors, it attracts players and I don't think you can honestly say that Evatt is a better manager but doesn't bring any of the above...

I'll tell you what attracts sponsors & players...a successful team. And to have that, you need a manager who knows their backside from their elbow.

Evatt's record speaks for itself, two promotions in 3 seasons with different teams & his sides play the football our fanbase want to see. You talk about his experience as if he's been managing Sunday League sides...he's taking Bolton to the division we thought we were going to be in 2 hours ago.

Chris Wilder is the wrong man for us right now. Step down from a Prem team to us after having to leave his boyhood club....wheres the motivation? Only would come for the money which is totally the wrong rationale for appointing a manager.

10 minutes ago, SparxTheRam said:

Why do coaches get paid big money? Is it to make the players look clueless and regress, or is it to provide good tactics and get the players playing better than they were previously?

12 minutes ago, SparxTheRam said:

Wow, wave the flags.... 

This is the arrogance and entitlement I talk about.

3 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I'll tell you what attracts sponsors & players...a successful team. And to have that, you need a manager who knows their backside from their elbow.

Evatt's record speaks for itself, two promotions in 3 seasons with different teams & his sides play the football our fanbase want to see. You talk about his experience as if he's been managing Sunday League sides...he's taking Bolton to the division we thought we were going to be in 2 hours ago.

Chris Wilder is the wrong man for us right now. Step down from a Prem team to us after having to leave his boyhood club....wheres the motivation? Only would come for the money which is totally the wrong rationale for appointing a manager.

Now Wilder would be great at...

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Why do coaches get paid big money? Is it to make the players look clueless and regress, or is it to provide good tactics and get the players playing better than they were previously?

Remember McLaren replacing Clough. Took a team that had just finished a few places above the relegation zone to playoff contenders with only a few tweaks to the playing staff. 

Just now, Jimbo Ram said:

Now Wilder would be great at...

I suspect he needs a bit of time out the game. Sheffield Utd & the climb they had would have been his dream....thats tough to let go & tough to find the motivation to start again elsewhere.

When he does return, he will not unreasonably be looking at Premiership clubs or at the very worst, a well financed Championship club. We're neither of those.

1 minute ago, Longeatonram2020 said:

Remember McLaren replacing Clough. Took a team that had just finished a few places above the relegation zone to playoff contenders with only a few tweaks to the playing staff. 

You make it sound so so easy, like Mac just turned up and switched the light on. It took Clough years to build that side and I am so greatful, let’s not forget after six months of Mac our position steadily declined to where we are today. 

Just now, Abu Dhabi Ram said:

You make it sound so so easy, like Mac just turned up and switched the light on. It took Clough years to build that side and I am so greatful, let’s not forget after six months of Mac our position steadily declined to where we are today. 

Not saying it was easy, but the foundations were laid and I’m not convinced Clough would have had the ability to build on those foundations like McLaren did. 

5 minutes ago, Abu Dhabi Ram said:

Agreed, our club is rotten. We don’t need a big name, we need someone who can utilize the academy and Make the most of what we have got. 

Indeed they lambast Evatts career and praise Wilder, yet before Sheff Utd Wilder had only managed at small clubs (Halifax, northants and Oxford).

Im guessing Sheff Utd should have turned their noses up at Wilder instead of appointing him!

Edited by Ramarena

Just now, Longeatonram2020 said:

Not saying it was easy, but the foundations were laid and I’m not convinced Clough would have had the ability to build on those foundations like McLaren did. 

But the issue with Mac is he can’t build foundations. If we didn’t have Clough we wouldn’t have Mac. Clough is not a good coach, Mac is not a good manager. If we combined them we would all be happy ?