Unpopular opinion

roboto

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

No I can agree with clickbait and nonsense. Just not in this case. ?

You seem to be under the impression that there is only ever 'one truth'. So although things can be 'black & white' there are also lots of grey areas!

Good point, Roy! You are right on that, I think. There are lots of grey areas a lot of time. Having worked for some of these publications in my early twenties, I suspect that most of these stories tend to be a pretty solid blend/balancing act of fact and fiction. 

That piece was an opinion piece on Rooney from someone I'd regard as a pretty good journalist. Quite surprised how rattled some seem to have been by his use of the word "basket-case" to describe our club - seems more than fair to me based on the last few years!

4 hours ago, i-Ram said:

People seem to forget that Bradford City were promoted to the Premier League one time in their history and that was under Paul Jewell. People seem to forget that Hull City won promotion to the top level of English football in 2008 for the first time in the club's 104-year history and that was under Phil Brown. If those are not managerial successes I don’t know are.

Off you go Rooney you complete novice. There are so many men of proven success waiting in the wings.

Except, that isn't what I said. And McClaren has been successful at three clubs. But yes Phil Brown and Paul Jewell have had success as managers. I never said anything about bringing McClaren in based on that, just refuted the claim he's not been successful, try not twisting my words.

If we had been relegated would we even be having this discussion? I doubt it. 

The only reason we werent relegated is because we got lucky with EFL appeals and Sheff Wednesday didnt and because of covid, Rotherham had to play every 3 days for the last month or so of the season which dragged their form down to nearly as bad as ours. In any other season we are relegated, we got extremely lucky. 

I dont think rooney deserves another chance, the manner of some of the defeats, worst of all 3-0 at rotherham with relegation on the line doesnt suggest to me a manager who was close to cracking it but just got unlucky. 

On ‎08‎/‎05‎/‎2021 at 15:02, GeneralRam said:

Absolutely agree we should stick with Rooney.

If he was good enough on day 1, he’s good enough now.

He just needs some resources to use.

Same applied to Cocu.

24 minutes ago, TheAllestreeRam said:

If we had been relegated would we even be having this discussion? I doubt it. 

The only reason we werent relegated is because we got lucky with EFL appeals and Sheff Wednesday didnt and because of covid, Rotherham had to play every 3 days for the last month or so of the season which dragged their form down to nearly as bad as ours. In any other season we are relegated, we got extremely lucky. 

I dont think rooney deserves another chance, the manner of some of the defeats, worst of all 3-0 at rotherham with relegation on the line doesnt suggest to me a manager who was close to cracking it but just got unlucky. 

Wednesday got luck with their appeal, should have 12

14 minutes ago, BBG83 said:

Same applied to Cocu.

Cocu got a rough hand dealt to him, but also had time to do better. Rooney has had 1 transfer window (well, 1 week of a window) with no budget to try and plug gaps in a stuttering squad. He got in some decent players to be fair to him - Roberts, Edmundson, Mengi and Gregory - but was unlucky with injuries to these and other players. Of course we can't say it's all bad luck and he needs to improve as a coach/manager too, but he was in a high-pressure situation from day one.

Give him a Summer to get in higher quality players that he can build his tactics and style of play around. This is what he's been talking about wanting to do since he got the job. Now is his time to prove it.