Derby County Administration (with the slight possibility of Liquidation still there)

therams69

Yesterday was a positive day on the whole.

However, a successful takeover would still leave a couple of doubts

1) Speculation that even a takeover would still incur a 2 year transfer embargo

2) The need for the new owners to work within a business plan set by the EFL

I really hope these aren't true but they've been mentioned previously on here

1 hour ago, Gaspode said:

Ironically the biggest point in our favour is that EFL rules prevented us from accessing the additional £8M+ funding that was provided to every other Championship club - thereby making the impact of Covid far greater on us than anyone else. A pretty strong argument and one the EFL would find difficult to provide a valid arguement against....

They'll come up with...you were in an embargo "our rules state" that those in emargo give up the right to borrow, Having looked back on the last 7 days, And with the admins statement, With relegation pretty much a certainty if more points added, I'm hopefull for the coming years...a little caveat tho...depending on new owners

18 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

Yesterday was a positive day on the whole.

However, a successful takeover would still leave a couple of doubts

1) Speculation that even a takeover would still incur a 2 year transfer embargo

2) The need for the new owners to work within a business plan set by the EFL

I really hope these aren't true but they've been mentioned previously on here

All EFL clubs that go through an insolvency event are required to work to a League-approved business plan for two years as a condition of the transfer/retention of their membership share (the so called 'Golden Share'). This inevitably will mean a restriction in the transfer market compared to others, but perhaps not an embargo as such.

And in any case I doubt that the club's rolling P+S limit will be reset, so new owners will be working to restricted head room for permitted losses in the short term.

And... if the Club is in League One next season, the financial controls are different in that division. The £2.5m salary cap proposal was thrown out last year, but I think current rules state that in L1, the salary cost management protocol limits player related expenditure to 60% to turnover. For Derby, that would likely be circa £10-12m per year.

3 hours ago, Woodley Ram said:

Yes they stabilised the club, the EFL would like them, they are a steady hand, I also liked Glick when he was here, he even knew how to say 'Darby' and not 'Deerby' when he left. I have fond memories of these guys.

Yep I thought Tom Glick was an excellent CEO and with Tim Hinchey and Jake Reid there was a highly commercial outlook. 

25 minutes ago, atherstoneram said:

It's not a moot point at all,we didn't get it because MM placed the club in a position were we didn't meet the criteria. Don't blame the EFL blame MM

Are you on such an anti-Morris roll that your blinkers stop you seeing the bigger picture?

I'm not blaming the EFL - I'm stating that by not giving us the additional 'monet to save clubs from Covid' funding (while giving it to all of the other Championship clubs), we've been made into an exceptional case - and that provides a solid argument against the 12-point deduction for going into admin.

A lot of people on here have been saying we can't claim exceptional reasons to avoid the 12 point deduction as other clubs have been able to survive - but by denying us the funding (and there's a very good case to say they were right to do that due to the P&S issues we were having) and then also giving us a points deduction when that decision tipped us over the edge into administration, they've effectively penalised us twice (and that's ignoring the embargo shenanigans preventing us from extending contracts and therefore losing players on the cheap).

Whoever ultimately is to blame (and neither Mel or the EFL are blameless) the funding decision was a contrbutory factor in pushing us over the edge - that should at least lessen the points punishment if not negate it completely....

Exactly. Covid losses bear little relation to our overspending. They're purely commercial losses and compensation/assistance should be placed outside of any restrictions applied because of FFP or regulation breaches. It's like companies who stop paying their due debts to another company once they hear they're in financial difficulty. It just pushes the distressed company over the edge. There's a strong case for saying that that is exactly what the EFL have done to Derby.

2 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Ironically the biggest point in our favour is that EFL rules prevented us from accessing the additional £8M+ funding that was provided to every other Championship club - thereby making the impact of Covid far greater on us than anyone else. A pretty strong argument and one the EFL would find difficult to provide a valid arguement against....

im not sure they will be bothered, we didnt meet the criteria for the £8m end of for them. The Covid effect is intresting. They will need to bring out some rationale for this otherwise everyone will be deducted points. I havnt seen anything other than Stoke trying to pull a fast one  

46 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Under the circumstances which applied at the time, Nigel Clough was perfect.

Under the current circumstances which apply, Wayne Rooney is perfecter.

Oh absolutely agree, Nigel did a good job in the circumstances up to a point. 

But his limitations regarding attractive football were exposed as soon as McClaren showed you could play exciting, attacking football with essentially the same players.

Also, agree on Rooney.

1 hour ago, Barney1991 said:

I think this might or has to be different considering we have just gone into admin through wreckless spending. I want patience and sensible buys. If anyone moans about not spending money then they are just downright idiotic considering this is where we are now 

Irony is that MM’s move toward using more Academy talent is one very good way to keep the lid on spending 

32 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Irony is that MM’s move toward using more Academy talent is one very good way to keep the lid on spending 

One way he has done good. The players coming through are of a high standard and we can make money on. Also more can get game time in league 1 

The problem with the GSE ownership is that it was unsustainable. With Glick in post they were trying to reduce wage costs to break even and we finished in the bottom half every season. Crowds were falling and there was no growth achieved in revenues. They were never able to break even and had to constantly put extra cash in.

When Rush came in he convinced them to loosen the purse strings a little. Nigel was able to bring in better players, which eventually led to the McLaren play off team. The losses were increasing even at this point though and most of GSE's investors wanted out.

I would hope that Appleby would return a little older and wiser. With the economics of the Championship, the only route to sustainability is promotion. OK, it might be a few years before it's an issue for us, but I do wonder if the best plan might be doing it in cycles? Two years of high spending to try to achieve promotion, followed by two years of cost cutting to create P&S headroom, for the next cycle. 

Admin have been on talk sport said there had been six credible offers and last night a seventh from America with over $1 billion dollars in it's funding also lots of clowns on e mail making offers.

Also said they will ask for proof of £5 million in a Uk bank account non refundable before allowing anyone to proceed to negotiate and they hope to get a deal over the line in the next 90 days.

Also four local business had offered to loan funds to keep the club ticking over.

Edited by Rambalin