Derby County Administration (with the slight possibility of Liquidation still there)

therams69

9 hours ago, erathirea said:

I'm sure someone else has probably said this, at some point. I am, in no way, defending Mel's record, but:

1. He's certainly tried.

2. He's not managed to us promoted.

3. He is a fan.

4. He is, by all accounts, ill.

5. He could have put us in administration a month ago. If he had... immediate fire sale.

So... is it possible that, whilst there are certainly many arguments to the contrary (and they are very much fair), that he has actually picked pretty much the *best* time to send us into admin?

Yes, we have minus 12. But- we have a chance of survival.

Yes, we could lose our best players in January for pittance... but we *could* have been sold by then and not have it *quite* so bad.

Yes, we could get relegated.... but maybe we would've done anyway. He could have put us in administration 4 months ago and we'd have definitely been relegated.

If his illness is as bad as reported, then whilst he should certainly be held to task for some aspects of his reign, should he be given *some* benefit of the doubt?

I don’t think anyone is doubting his intentions, the amount he has put in or the fact that he could have called in the administrator long ago. But, the fact remains that we have got into this sorry state under his stewardship. The only impact he couldn’t have foreseen, and it’s a big one, is of course Covid but we were in a mess before that hit us. What we don’t know, and would be the crux of any appeal, is where would we be without the virus? My guess is, we’d still be at war with the EFL, facing some kind of points deduction, had to cut our squad size/wage bill but, probably taken over and avoided administration. If that had come about, Mel would still have to face criticism but not quite the venom we’re seeing now. 

6 minutes ago, Curtains said:

We'll take it. We need the money.

I'm inclined to believe it's a "lets get good PR for 32 Red in the face of upcoming bans on betting sponsorship" than that they really care about our situation (or avoiding 32 Red help put club into liquidation headlines for that matter). Either way, helps keep the club viable a bit longer whilst we hope for a rescue.

13 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Interesting - wonder if that's to do with the government allegedly announcing an outright ban on betting company logos appearing on football shirts, so 32Red are happy to pile as much cash into promoting their brand as they can before it has to stop?

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

Interesting - wonder if that's to do with the government allegedly announcing an outright ban on betting company logos appearing on football shirts, so 32Red are happy to pile as much cash into promoting their brand as they can before it has to stop?

They'd love it if our points deduction took us 32 into the red. 

1 hour ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

So far they have. Await plenty more in the coming months 

I guess that is an important reason why we have to keep trying to pick up points - in case others collapse this season

But what a terrible endorsement of English football that would be - but possible

I remember a few years ago, there was some ridiculous idea of lower league clubs becoming feeder clubs for some of the premiership teams - I think that possibility is now far more likely i'm afraid

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1279794/Premier-League-English-football-B-teams-feeder-clubs-Dan-Ashworth-Brighton

Edited by SamUltraRam