Derby County Administration (with the slight possibility of Liquidation still there)

therams69

2 hours ago, Tombo said:

They've gone backwards under him

They have if you compare it to where they were 4 & 11 years before he arrived, but not really if you compare it to where they were 3 years or 7-10 years before!

Really they've just re-found the level they historically have played at for pretty much their entire existence before the Premier League came along.  A mid table (with a few deviations between upper & lower mid table) top tier team with mixed with a few spells in the second division.

They had some great times under Kevin Keegan and then Bobby Robson challenging for titles and that seems to be the cause for much of their delusion that they should be competing at the top end now, but that isn't the norm for them as a club and you have to go back to 1927 for the last time they were the champions of England.

In between Keegan & Robson they only finished 13th, 13th, 11th, 11th. After Robson left 14th, 7th under Souness then 13th in the season before Ashley.

Under Ashley they've have PL finishes of 12th, 18th, 12th, 5th, 16th, 10th, 15th, 18th, 10th, 13th, 13th, 12th.

They're exactly where they should be, and need to stop bloody moaning about it.

Edited by Coconut's Beard

Mike Ashley is a long way from being the most odious owner in English football. Newcastle fans objections to him were never anything to do with how he ran Sports Direct, more that he was seen as an outsider who wasn't willing to bankrupt himself trying to get NUFC as a regular top 6 team. The way they've embraced the Saudi interest from the outset proves that morality was never an issue. 

We don't need an owner to splash millions on facilities - ours are better than Newcastle's - we need an owner who'll run us within our means, support youth development and give manager's a chance. And preferably one that doesn't come with substantial human rights abuses to their name. 

12 minutes ago, Coconut's Beard said:

They have if you compare it to where they were 4 & 11 years before he arrived, but not really if you compare it to where they were 3 years or 7-10 years before!

Really they've just re-found the level they historically have played at for pretty much their entire existence before the Premier League came along.  A mid table (with a few deviations between upper & lower mid table) top tier team with mixed with a few spells in the second division.

They had some great times under Kevin Keegan and then Bobby Robson challenging for titles and that seems to be the cause for much of their delusion that they should be competing at the top end now, but that isn't the norm for them as a club and you have to go back to 1927 for the last time they were the champions of England.

In between Keegan & Robson they only finished 13th, 13th, 11th, 11th. After Robson left 14th, 7th under Souness then 13th in the season before Ashley.

Under Ashley they've have PL finishes of 12th, 18th, 12th, 5th, 16th, 10th, 15th, 18th, 10th, 13th, 13th, 12th.

Thank you Mr Beard, what an excellent post. This idea that Newcastle are under-achievers is poppy-rooster and their fans' right of entitlement is, and has always been, wholly misplaced.

They have potential to be greater - but none more so than Leeds, Everton, Villa, West Ham... the list goes on.

And of course, if you did the same exercise on Derby County, it would show our natural position to be a mid-table second tier side I expect.

27 minutes ago, Coconut's Beard said:

You're right but I think what Newcastle fans are frustrated about is that the club doesn't seem to show any ambition to get better. It's the same every single season. 

7 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

You're right but I think what Newcastle fans are frustrated about is that the club doesn't seem to show any ambition to get better. It's the same every single season. 

But to be 'better' they need to be competing in the top six don't they, which would require hundreds of millions of pounds of expenditure (I won't call it investment as that alludes to a notion of getting a return!). They could go out and spend £100m in each of the next three transfer windows and quite feasibly STILL be a mid-table Premier League club - only now one with a huge debt.

Ambition is lovely but - as we Rams know all too well - can be a very dangerous thing.

Edited by StarterForTen

9 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Might that be because the owner refuses to spend above his budget? 

Might that be the exact opposite of what our recent owner has been criticised for not doing? 

@StarterForTen said it so much better above!

Edited by angieram
Add more info.

27 minutes ago, StarterForTen said:

Thank you Mr Beard, what an excellent post. This idea that Newcastle are under-achievers is poppy-rooster and their fans' right of entitlement is, and has always been, wholly misplaced.

They have potential to be greater - but none more so than Leeds, Everton, Villa, West Ham... the list goes on.

And of course, if you did the same exercise on Derby County, it would show our natural position to be a mid-table second tier side I expect.

Based on what? 
Normal revenue, taking into account for league disparity, has us 18th best in the county.
All time top division record puts us 16th.
All-time average league position puts us 13th best.
PL era only ('92 onwards) average position puts us 21st.

It's only when you look at specific decades when we drop to a mid-Championship position.
2010s - 27th
2000s - 24th
1990s - 19th
1980s - 29th

Earlier than that, and it's only the 60s and 50s where we drop to mid-table 2nd division side. In fact, those are the only 2 decades we drop outside of being top 20 in the country.

13 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Based on what? 
Normal revenue, taking into account for league disparity, has us 18th best in the county.
All time top division record puts us 16th.
All-time average league position puts us 13th best.
PL era only ('92 onwards) average position puts us 21st.

It's only when you look at specific decades when we drop to a mid-Championship position.
2010s - 27th
2000s - 24th
1990s - 19th
1980s - 29th

Earlier than that, and it's only the 60s and 50s where we drop to mid-table 2nd division side. In fact, those are the only 2 decades we drop outside of being top 20 in the country.

Based on pure guess work, that's what! Clearly I'm a bit off the mark.

You've forced me off my lazy chair and to do some research! In the PL era, our average league position finish within the pyramid is 6th in tier two, so a bit better than a mid-table team in all fairness.

Historically, the club have spent more seasons in the top tier than out of it, so again I've been pessimistic in my guess.

However... (and in my defence!)... since I became aware of DCFC as a seven-year old boy, in the near 50 seasons that have played out since, the majority have been played outside of the top flight (31 tier 2or 3, compared to 18 tier 1). Even since our (only) FA Cup win in 1946, well over half of the campaigns have been outside of the top division (46 outside; 29 inside).