Worst fans in the world?

Gringo

3 hours ago, Asheville Ram said:

Based on the idiotic ramblings on here over the past month or so, I have come to the firm conclusion that we have some of the worst “fans” in the footballing world.

At least 50% plus of the posters on this site it would seem are praying we get relegated so that they can scream “I told you so” in their insane vitriolic campaign against Wayne, Mel and the players 

The older and wiser posters on here have been in this situation before and can handle our current predicament, we need supporters who will support our club and not to behave like headless gutless chickens.

I firmly believe we will not go down but on the very  slim chance that we do, the world will not stop spinning and the club will go on and it will not go bust, we need a bit of Dunkirk spirit to be shown by our supporters, not the defeatist attitude I keep reading.

Christopher Hitchens used to say that some statements are self-discrediting and need no refutation from anyone else. This is precisely one of those statements. 

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

It seems to me that due to social media modern fans behave more like pundits. Traditionally fans were basically supporters. Football was discussed in the pub and at home and although there were grumbles you never tore your own team to pieces. 

The difference is that we tore our team to pieces and slagged individual players off over a pint or at work but it wasn't recorded on Internet forums for the players or managers themselves to see. This forum would have been shut down during the Tommy Docherty era!

Edited by uttoxram75

6 hours ago, Asheville Ram said:

I firmly believe we will not go down but on the very  slim chance that we do, the world will not stop spinning and the club will go on and it will not go bust, we need a bit of Dunkirk spirit to be shown by our supporters, not the defeatist attitude I keep reading.

You've seen the league table, no? 

9 hours ago, Ramarena said:

Which part of the Dunkirk spirit do you want to invoke?

The defence or evacuation?

Where you there?

I wasn’t so haven’t got a clue what the spirit was like, hopefully you have first hand experience to direct us?

Makes a nice change from being linked with fascist forces a couple of weeks ago. I don't want us to launch a surprise attack on the Wednesday goal by invoking the spirit of Guenrica.

This is possibly the worst Derby County team in the history of our football club. 

I've just had a quick look, in 1983-84 we were relegated to the third division with 42 points from 42 games. We did have less points being relegated to division 3 in 1954-55 but we still scored 53 goals in 42 games - 20 more goals than we currently have and we've played 3 more games. 

You could certainly make a case that these footballers and management staff currently at the club will go down as the worst we've ever had - undisputedly one of the worst we've ever had anyway. Rooney for my money will go down as the worst manager this club has ever had and it will be talked about in these circles for the next hundred years, at least. 

On top of the above, we have a disinterested owner who is looking to sell and look at the two charlatans he's agreed to sell to in that time. I mean, it's completely beyond the pale for me - especially from someone who said he wouldn't ever sell to just anybody.  AND on top of that, we've not been able to go to games due to the pandemic and face huge financial instability. 

Whatever way you look at it, I would argue that the fans have had to endure one of the worst season this club has ever had in its 135 year history and even after it draws to a close on Saturday, regardless of which division we're in, we're still far from out of the woods. I would say with all that being laid bare - we've got a lot of people on here who invest their time in enhancing this 'community' and the club still has 10s of thousands of people who continue to follow every step. 

I don’t think our fans are bad. Just put it into perspective -

- Not being able to attend a game in over a year

- Owner wanting to sell the club to anyone whether they are fit for purpose or not

- A really poor squad, how many would we genuinely want to keep

- A manager who can’t seem to get the players fighting for the club or him

- 6 defeats on the spin, if that becomes 7 we are relegated 

- Frustration that we have been in a position in a number of games to secure safety only to lay down, rolled over and gifted a win to the opposition 

- A team that can’t defend and doesn’t look like scoring

I would say that the fans are entitled to feel a tad disgruntled. 

14 hours ago, GboroRam said:

You do realise Dunkirk was a disastrous failure, don't you? 

The army trying to resist the Nazi attack on the Low Countries and France - total disaster due to lack of preparation, training, doctrine, etc, certainly not the blokes' fault. Read about the Coldstream Guards fighting the rearguard - opened a big can of F Off on the Germans.

The rescue of our army  from the beaches - disaster for the Germans as essentially the TA and a big chunk of the Regulars got away (probably the Royal Navy's finest hour), total disaster for the French as we did not throw it in.

I think the rage most fans show here is that our squad have the tanks to do the job - stretching the analogy -unlike in 1940 - just doesn't seem to do the business. The fan angst here is a mirror of the frustrating performances we witness.

But we must keep things in proportion - what will be will be, we will be back if we go down, and at least we aren't Forest Fans.

9 hours ago, Ambitious said:

This is possibly the worst Derby County team in the history of our football club. 

I've just had a quick look, in 1983-84 we were relegated to the third division with 42 points from 42 games. We did have less points being relegated to division 3 in 1954-55 but we still scored 53 goals in 42 games - 20 more goals than we currently have and we've played 3 more games. 

You could certainly make a case that these footballers and management staff currently at the club will go down as the worst we've ever had - undisputedly one of the worst we've ever had anyway. Rooney for my money will go down as the worst manager this club has ever had and it will be talked about in these circles for the next hundred years, at least. 

On top of the above, we have a disinterested owner who is looking to sell and look at the two charlatans he's agreed to sell to in that time. I mean, it's completely beyond the pale for me - especially from someone who said he wouldn't ever sell to just anybody.  AND on top of that, we've not been able to go to games due to the pandemic and face huge financial instability. 

Whatever way you look at it, I would argue that the fans have had to endure one of the worst season this club has ever had in its 135 year history and even after it draws to a close on Saturday, regardless of which division we're in, we're still far from out of the woods. I would say with all that being laid bare - we've got a lot of people on here who invest their time in enhancing this 'community' and the club still has 10s of thousands of people who continue to follow every step. 

We also conceded 27 more goals in 3 fewer games so, it may have been more entertaining (a bit before my time) but they weren’t necessarily a better team than we’ve got now.

21 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

The French campaign was but the Dunkirk operation was a miracle 

Didn't Hitler listen to Goering and instead of pushing forward on land, agreed the Luftwaffe could do the job and this miscalculation allowed us to slink away and claim a great victory...so maybe if Sheff Wed rest Bannan and Rhodes until the last 20mins and we hold out for 0-0, the Cardiff victory that saves us can be the vital US support we quickly ungratefully forget ... 

On 05/05/2021 at 21:14, Asheville Ram said:

Based on the idiotic ramblings on here over the past month or so, I have come to the firm conclusion that we have some of the worst “fans” in the footballing world.

At least 50% plus of the posters on this site it would seem are praying we get relegated so that they can scream “I told you so” in their insane vitriolic campaign against Wayne, Mel and the players 

The older and wiser posters on here have been in this situation before and can handle our current predicament, we need supporters who will support our club and not to behave like headless gutless chickens.

Actually, the posters you refer to as 'defeatist' are realists. They know what they've been watching all season and it ain't been great....

On 05/05/2021 at 20:14, Asheville Ram said:

Speaking of idiotic ramblings...?