Am I the only one feeling happy tonight?

RoyMac5

3 minutes ago, Coconut said:

That goes for their chances of survival, but seeing as they could relegate us with one of 2 results - either by beating us or holding us to a draw - our survival is just as much in their hands as it is ours.

Cardiff's recent 5-1 loss to Sheff Weds doesn't give me a great amount of belief that they're not going to get done by Rotherham either.

No point thinking about what they're going to do or what they could do. We do the job, we stay up

34 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

No point thinking about what they're going to do or what they could do. We do the job, we stay up

Well yes, but the problem with is that we're so hopeless that our chances of 'doing the job' hang heavier on what Sheff Weds do than what we do.

Worrying about the opposition is our speciality.

If they turn up and are on their game, we're toast.

Edited by Coconut

I'm not massively happy about the result. It gives the wendies substantial hope of survival now and enough leeway that they don't need to be recklessly attacking due to the goal difference. It's going down to the flip of the coin now really, atm I can't really get past my annoyance and frustration that this gutless bunch have led us down to this. I'll be hiding behind my sofa on saturday at midday there's no doubt about that.  

9 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Alonso alluded to being a Club that spends money on players...hope he's now "on message" about the need to grow your own players...

I cannot remember who it was ... but they spent a few posts teaching me about some of the financial processes, and consequences of any relegation! Not just using heresay, but using real numbers.

And from that came the vital importance of growing players, and increasing their value.

(Of course, the objective of growing players must surely overlap with the simple objective of having a winning team - because a winning team is likely to be bringing out the best in each player, and resulting in their growth, and increased value!)

But, I think, growth can also be treated as a separate thing - separate from the objective of having a winning team! (Often going hand-in-hand, but not having to do so.)

And perhaps, as you say, and as many people have been saying - overspending on players with the aim of securing promotion (and therefore winning) brings lots of dangers when promotion does not happen.

As someone put it, many of us are complaining that we spent too much money!

It may be obvious to everyone else ... (and it probably sounds a bit like someone playing Football Manager) ... but I think, like you, that quite a few imply that the club's leadership has not seemed to understand the importance of growing players.

Although winning and promotion is a sensible priority - buying and growing players is equally important in its own right, especially if promotion is not achieved.