Always the Marriott, never the Toney

I'd argue our recruitment - from higher or lower - has been pretty shocking for years. When we've bought big, or small, we've managed to goof it up most times. I think you have to go back to the Jim Smith side to see a clear trend for bringing in talent and raising the bar. Before that it was Cox, Clough and probably Mackay. Four managers (or scouting teams) in half a century that have been able to spot talent. Really, it's not wonder we are where we are.

1 hour ago, duncanjwitham said:

Honestly, I think Ibe was a decent signing whether it turns out well in the end or not (assuming he's on a very incentive-based contract).  Too often in the past, we've signed Ibe type players for silly money after some other club has rehabilitated them.  A couple of 'projects' that don't cost that much and might turn into gems are always a good idea IMO.

It's not exactly the same situation, but Waghorn and Butterfield both joined their previous clubs to something like £500k, before we paid £5m+ for them a season or 2 later.

If the contract is incentive based then ok, but my point about Ibe is it's another gamble based on a very brief moment of success, in Ibe's case over 6 seasons ago. There's a reason why Howe never played him at Bournemouth.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

If the contract is incentive based then ok, but my point about Ibe is it's another gamble based on a very brief moment of success, in Ibe's case over 6 seasons ago. There's a reason why Howe never played him at Bournemouth.

How much do you think he's costing us? To me it seems a decent gamble if the figures are low. Selling at Championship/lower Prem level we'd make money on him.

Edited by RoyMac5

The trick to a successful championship team is always having a few technically gifted individuals who've played at a higher level.  A couple of lads coming through who are good enough to make the step up immediately rather than 8 or 9 who may or may not be better in a year. 

Mix in a few players who don't carry the delusion of grandeur and perhaps never thought they would have the chance to play for a team with 25- 30 thousand watching on 15 k a week. They are normally mentally tougher having put in the hard yards and play like there panicking to keep the dream going.- think Scarface on acid.

Welcome to Derby County circa 1996 and 2014. It's not hard if you choose carefully.

4 hours ago, DCFClks said:

yeah, Brooks, King, Wilson, Stanislas, Fraser, 

The BEST player we signed from the lower leagues was STEVE BLOOMER we got him off Derby Midland FC who were in the Midland league back in 1891. Well the actual story is in 1891 Derby Midland merged with Derby County, but they still took him on, so they must have signed him.

8 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Was thinking Chris Powell but appears Southend were in the same league when we signed him.  How we bought him for 750 k from Southend and sold him for only 50 k more after two great premier league campaigns and player of the year award I was never sure.  

It’s the Derby way! Buy overpriced and practically give away. Been doing it for decades! 

Marriott plays better in a 2, I think he would still do a job alongside CKRs flick offs and even with Waghorn, seems ever since Rooney bolkocked him for not playing to the whistle, he's been out of favour 

33 minutes ago, Ilsonram12 said:

Marriott plays better in a 2, I think he would still do a job alongside CKRs flick offs and even with Waghorn, seems ever since Rooney bolkocked him for not playing to the whistle, he's been out of favour 

Lol. He's been out of favour with every manager here and at other clubs. Think he's the problem.

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Dean Saunders has to be one of the best signings we made from a team in a lower league than ourselves. 

Oxford were in div 1 from 1985. We only got promoted in 87. 

Edited by oomarkwright
Posted (edited)

Toney was hardly a gem, think he cost about 8mill probably with adds on as well, and he was never going to come to us realistically unless we offered about 50k a week which we can't afford. 

Bielik and Marriott were both good signings at the time, not the scouting staffs fault they have been so injury prone. It's the signings from championship clubs like Johnson, Butterfield and Blackman that have let us down mainly. 

Edited by Marriot Ram99
On 04/05/2021 at 13:47, Half Fan Half Biscuit said:

Looking at their message board, there’s an attempt by some Wednesday fans to get Jack voted their POTY. 

Is it too late to ironically do the same?