Jump to content

Always the Marriott, never the Toney


Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, vonwright said:

During his heyday here I was sure Brayford would end up playing regular Premier League football. Davies too, to some extent. 

The scattergun transfers immediately after "that season" actually did include some good frees from league one now that I look at it. Paul Green was another good championship player.

Always thought Paul Connolly was a nob but can't exactly remember why now 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Dean Moxey cannot seriously be touted as a good pick - he was dreck. Bought from league 2(?) and played like it.

Commons and Christie are the shouts...

Buxton, Barker, Brayford... Good/Excellent Championship players sure but not really gems.

 

Just now, mike93rh said:

This thread became null and void after the first post describing Dean Moxey as a good signing/football player/not a complete and utter fraud. 

Think you're being harsh but I am now in the minority haha so maybe not.

He did get promoted with palace and play in the prem I think to be fair after he left us. In my mind he was similar to Fozzy, capable of a nice run up the wing and cross, could defend solidly but very capable of losing concentration and doing something stupid!

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not just signing a gem, but also making sure they fit into our teams style.

Marriott was signed for Lampard's team and he was either our injured or playing through injury the whole season. Marriott's suited to a counter-attacking team and didn't fit Cocu's slow build up and doesn't fit Rooney's... whatever you call it style. He's also been injured again this season, very unlucky. You don't score 27 goals in a season then just turn poo, even if it was in League One.

I agree we don't sign enough players from the lower leagues but we have been much more sensible with signings in the last 2 seasons by investing in Bielik and Jozwiak, although we have fallen into our old ways with the Ibe signing. Shame we've started doing this after the moneys ran out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DCFClks said:

although we have fallen into our old ways with the Ibe signing.

Honestly, I think Ibe was a decent signing whether it turns out well in the end or not (assuming he's on a very incentive-based contract).  Too often in the past, we've signed Ibe type players for silly money after some other club has rehabilitated them.  A couple of 'projects' that don't cost that much and might turn into gems are always a good idea IMO.

It's not exactly the same situation, but Waghorn and Butterfield both joined their previous clubs to something like £500k, before we paid £5m+ for them a season or 2 later.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Honestly, I think Ibe was a decent signing whether it turns out well in the end or not (assuming he's on a very incentive-based contract).  Too often in the past, we've signed Ibe type players for silly money after some other club has rehabilitated them.  A couple of 'projects' that don't cost that much and might turn into gems are always a good idea IMO.

It's not exactly the same situation, but Waghorn and Butterfield both joined their previous clubs to something like £500k, before we paid £5m+ for them a season or 2 later.

I suspect Ibe will be off to a championship club in the summer without kicking a ball.  Injury free, fit and mentally improved after a year getting back into the swing of things whilst we sit mid table in League One thinking could have done with him last year.  Probably Forest, their just down the road.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Waghorn and Butterfield both joined their previous clubs to something like £500k, before we paid £5m+ for them a season or 2 later.

And don't get anything back on them at all. No resale value. We got 2 decent seasons out of waghorn but that's it. Hasn't pulled up any trees. There is no recruitment strategy at this club at all. That's why we are in this mess.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

FWIW I don’t think Marriott is a bad player to have in your ranks at all, even though I’ll be very critical of him. 

I think hes a bit more of an unorthodox centre forward and needed to be managed and coached correctly, and I’m not sure whether it’s something Lampard/Cocu or Rooney really appreciated as they had all played/been coached at a much higher level.

Allow him to be the player who plays 60 minutes, or the super sub type, who can impact a game as a poacher. Maybe give him a lighter training schedule, so he picks up less nighly injuries. Basically look after him and let him do what he does well. 

Understand, appreciate and nurture rather than constantly trying to change a player to play how you want them too 

Edited by TuffLuff
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, abertawe_ram said:

Always thought Paul Connolly was a nob but can't exactly remember why now 😂

I felt a bit sorry for Connolly. He wasn't very good, but I don't think that was due to a lack of effort. I think he had undue pressure put on him through being made captain when Jewell made the ridiculous decision to draw lots for the armband. He had an annoying habit of making very ordinary Championship wingers look like world beaters. I remember David Cotterill in particular had a field day every time he came up against Connolly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Anon said:

I felt a bit sorry for Connolly. He wasn't very good, but I don't think that was due to a lack of effort. I think he had undue pressure put on him through being made captain when Jewell made the ridiculous decision to draw lots for the armband. He had an annoying habit of making very ordinary Championship wingers look like world beaters. I remember David Cotterill in particular had a field day every time he came up against Connolly.

Paul 'Leeds is a bigger club' Connolly. That move went well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

There are some good players in Leagues One and Two at around 25-26 years old who could easily do a good job in the championship for hundreds of thousands rather than millions. 

We just need a manager who can get them doing what they do best. 

Absolutely spot on. Easy to see lads like Peterborough top scorer this season, they stand out with that sort of record but for years I’ve been puzzled by our recruitment. I don’t follow so closely so the names many of you have listed I wouldn’t have realised their origins. 
confused computer GIF

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Paul Trollope always did a safe job as cover- 70k from Torquay.  Boertein was steady as well from Carlisle.  

Trollope, once we’d had a giggle at the name he was absolutely sound for us. Remember many scratching their heads but what a bargain. Good pro 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.