Our Recruitment Is To Blame

DCFC Kicks

51 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

Well we both bought a striker from Peterborough, Toney\ Marriott.

If Brentford don’t go up Toney will be their next big outgoing and what about JM ? Similar records at Peterborough? Are we cursed ?

I think there is an element of bad luck with some of our transfers, Marriott has been injured most of his time at Derby, even playing through injury when he was on the pitch. But you could say we put all our eggs into one basket when we signed Bielik, spending our entire budget on one player. 

I've been crying out for us to follow the Brentford model for many years, even before most fans of Derby cottoned on to what they were doing, purely due to having a boss who supported them. I did say that Brentford would reach the premier league before we did, whilst it hasnt happened yet, its coming.

The first bit of business they did which was pure class was to sign Andre Gray from Luton for 1 million and then sell him to Burnley for 9 million. They replaced him with Scott Hogan for 2.7 million and he was great until he got injured for them and he hasnt really replicated is early form since. 

We were so insistent on having an academy where as Brentford are insistent on having a Brill first team and a ready to go B team.

You live and learn.

Just now, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I've been crying out for us to follow the Brentford model for many years, even before most fans of Derby cottoned on to what they were doing, purely due to having a boss who supported them. I did say that Brentford would reach the premier league before we did, whilst it hasnt happened yet, its coming.

The first bit of business they did which was pure class was to sign Andre Gray from Luton for 1 million and then sell him to Burnley for 9 million. They replaced him with Scott Hogan for 2.7 million and he was great until he got injured for them and he hasnt really replicated is early form since. 

We were so insistent on having an academy where as Brentford are insistent on having a Brill first team and a ready to go B team.

You live and learn.

Who do their B team play? Ive seen their manager on Sky Sportd as a pundit but never understood who they play and is the team any good? 

How does it work? Can players move between B team and first team like they can with the academy?

1 hour ago, hintonsboots said:

Well we both bought a striker from Peterborough, Toney\ Marriott.

If Brentford don’t go up Toney will be their next big outgoing and what about JM ? Similar records at Peterborough? Are we cursed ?

I have often wondered how Jack Marriott would have done if Brentford had bought him. 

22 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

But that is again down to coaching too. Vydra value increased because he actually got played in his natural position. If we had signed Watkins, Toney etc we would have ended up using them the wrong way and they wouldnt have had their value increase like they had. Brentford signed PBoro top scorer Toney, we did the same with Marriott & look how different they have both gone on to do.

So who employed the coaches then? Mel.

Just now, Jimbo Ram said:

And he recruited the novice Wazza ?

Well yes. Like Lampard couldn't turn down Chelsea I imagine Wayne couldn't turn us down. I imagine he's found his start in management harder than he imagined. 

15 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Who do their B team play? Ive seen their manager on Sky Sportd as a pundit but never understood who they play and is the team any good? 

How does it work? Can players move between B team and first team like they can with the academy?

The B team just play arranged in house games, whether that's with other clubs or against the first team.

The idea is the B team is made up of players who are more than capable of cutting it in the championship.

23 minutes ago, Chilwellram said:

I have often wondered how Jack Marriott would have done if Brentford had bought him. 

22 Championship goals and sold to a lower prem team, never establishing a regular place and following a similar career trajectory to Adam Le Fondre. Probably

1 hour ago, Rammy03 said:

Marriott did well in his first season, especially when he had a run in the team in October/November.

Got us through the playoffs, scoring in the final even though he was on the losing side.

We destroyed him after that.

He didn't score in the final.

2 hours ago, SaintRam said:

Now do every other club v Brentford.

Our recruitment isn't good, by any means, but Brentford's the best in the business imo - for the purposes of turning profit.

I remember when they first got promoted into the Championship and people hated them for their "statistics based recruitment".

How far they've come. And how silly that sounds now.

"You what? There's a team out there that thinks they should base their recruitment on the FACTS and the STATISTICS? What nonsense!".

Now every team does this

26 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well yes. Like Lampard couldn't turn down Chelsea I imagine Wayne couldn't turn us down. I imagine he's found his start in management harder than he imagined. 

I am old school in terms of football management. All managers should do their apprenticeship in the lower leagues and earn their right to get a job like Derby. Said the same when Big Frank was appointed. That’s why I think Wilder would be the perfect appointment for us, proven himself and deserves the opportunity....

2 hours ago, DCFClks said:

I've been comparing Derby to Brentford over the last 8 seasons since the 13/14 season as we've almost completely swapped league positions in that time. In 13/14 Brentford won promotion from League 1 and Derby were in the Champ play-off final.

Total spend on transfers from 13/14 - 20/21:

Derby: £84.9 mil

Brentford: £73.6 mil

Total income from transfer sales from 13/14 - 20/21:

Derby: £57.8 mil

Brentford: £176.8 mil

image.png.a6a29804be35cd9e8f5f84551ebea8d5.png

Both clubs had a season where they had a push for promotion and spent 30m but the difference is when Derby did it we sold £0 worth of players the same season and had a -2 mil from the previous season, when Brentford did it they sold £36m worth of players the same season and had profit of £26m from the previous season. This is how you make a push for promotion. Brentford also didn't get promoted in there 30m spend season, but they had the cushion of previous profits and high value in there squad to cope. While Derby are still suffering from the effects of our 30m spend season now.

Our general recruitment has been poor, with players with little sell on value. We've also sold players at the wrong time.

Derby clearly gambled everything on the 15/16 season, hence why Clement was sacked despite being 4th. Why did we feel the need to do this? I know owning a Championship club is very unsustainable, but this was reckless. This terrible transfer policy added with our poor recent managerial appointments is why we're in the mess we're in now.

That loss over 8 years  is less than I thought to be honest . Less than 1 parachute payment for a relegated team.  Therein lies the issue when chasing promotion.