Wayne Rooney

EdinRam

Freedom of Derby  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Was in London on Thursday and spoke to a couple of Rapid Vienna fans in town for the West Ham game. I wished them good luck and said I was a DCFC fan. Their response was 'ahhh Wayne Rooney coach. Minus 12 points. Good result yesterday 1 0'. If it wasn't for his name and status worldwide I don't think these fans from Austria would have known anything much about our club! Says it all really.

3 minutes ago, eccles the ram said:

Was in London on Thursday and spoke to a couple of Rapid Vienna fans in town for the West Ham game. I wished them good luck and said I was a DCFC fan. Their response was 'ahhh Wayne Rooney coach. Minus 12 points. Good result yesterday 1 0'.

Chinese Rapid Vienna fans then were they?

4 hours ago, eccles the ram said:

If it wasn't for his name and status worldwide I don't think these fans from Austria would have known anything much about our club! Says it all really.

Many, many years ago, I was holidaying in Tunisia, when I went into the Souk to buy a leather bag, and there on the wall was a picture of Derby County. When I told the proprietor I was from Derby, he said, in very broken English, "Ah, Cloughie, Rams, very good, very good". I got a huge discount on the bag as well!!

Our club, players, managers and reputation, name it what you will, began many years ago, way before Wayne Rooney or Frank Lampard, as Steve Bloomer was in demand before WWI and was coaching in Germany because of his reputation as a great footballer.

Was in London on Thursday and spoke to a couple of Rapid Vienna fans in town for the West Ham game. I wished them good luck and said I was a DCFC fan. Their response was 'ahhh Wayne Rooney coach. Minus 12 points. Good result yesterday 1 0'. If it wasn't for his name and status worldwide I don't think these fans from Austria would have known anything much about our club! Says it all really.

I can add something to this too. We got off of the ferry at Los Cristianos and my boy was wearing his Rams shirt. One of the staff stopped us to say “Derby County, Wayne Rooney, Up the Rams” followed by a thumbs up and a round of applause. Made my 8 year old boys day. The Wayne Rooney effect is immeasurable ??????

Why is it important that other people know about DCFC?

3 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

I can add something to this too. We got off of the ferry at Los Cristianos and my boy was wearing his Rams shirt. One of the staff stopped us to say “Derby County, Wayne Rooney, Up the Rams” followed by a thumbs up and a round of applause. Made my 8 year old boys day. The Wayne Rooney effect is immeasurable ??????

I was wearing my Derby top a few years ago when i went to the Taxi Office in Gillingham, all the cabbies went 'ah Mel Sage Derby County'.

I nipped inside and there was Peter Shilton om the radio berating one of the drivers for being 5 minutes late for a fare.  

From the interview in the Dutch press via Google translate:

"Did you have such a bad relationship with Wayne Rooney at Derby? He would have cut your chair legs in his role as player/assistant coach, we read around your dismissal.
"Well, I can immediately debunk that. I was one of the reasons he wanted to come to Derby. Fine guy, Wayne. We are still in regular contact. He aspired to the coaching profession and the question came up if I wanted him as a player / coach. As a footballer, I thought he was a giant."

"He is also struggling as head coach at Derby. The club has gone 'into administration', say the preliminary stage of bankruptcy. Then you immediately get 12 points deducted. In my time, I was already sitting with the chairman around the table with three parties who wanted to buy Derby. Three times it didn't go through.''

Edited by RoyMac5

47 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Why is it important that other people know about DCFC?

Because it makes you proud and it's nice to be nice and it's great when outsiders choose to be positive about our club.

There are a lot of wonderful people out there that don't believe all the gutter press and all the negative and nasty stuff written and spoken about our club.

D.C.F.C. Love, Life & Unity.

51 minutes ago, sage said:

I was wearing my Derby top a few years ago when i went to the Taxi Office in Gillingham, all the cabbies went 'ah Mel Sage Derby County'.

I nipped inside and there was Peter Shilton om the radio berating one of the drivers for being 5 minutes late for a fare.  

I was walking along Marlborough Street in Dublin a few years ago wearing my Rams top, heading for Briody's (as you do). Coming in the opposite direction was a guy wearing a Forest top. The conversation was very short... "Sheepsha**er"...."Gump".

56 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I once saw a sign on Blackpool prom that said "BEWARE OF T'RAMS".

I thought that was rather nice of the northern seaside resort folk.

Maybe someone should change that sign to "BEWARE OF X'RAMS", after the Keogh article. ?

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, SouthernRam said:

Not sure if it deserves it’s own thread as it’s probably clickbait pot-stirring, but Rooney is being linked to the Newcastle job.

https://www.sportbible.com/football/news-reactions-exclusives-exclusive-wayne-rooney-on-shortlist-for-newcastle-united-job-20211018

pay off the HMRC bill and he is yours