Lee Buchanan - Gone to Werder Bremen

Sean

18 minutes ago, roboto said:

For me, if we do get relegated tomorrow, I think we should stick with the youngsters and let go of the high earners (reported relegation clauses in their contracts should help shift deadwood I hope). A season (hopefully max) at League 1 should help the likes of Buchanan, Knight, Bird and Sibley to add some strength to their game and we should have enough about us to be at the right end of the table.

Dream scenario (if we go down): The youngsters in the squad, that we know have talent, stay on and get a full season of winning football and confidence back in their games, preferably under a coaching team that will allow them to grow. And when we're back in the Championship we'd carry on that confidence and be at the top half of the table again, with our own products.

Of course, I'd rather we stay up because going down has too many variables and most of them are bad.

We will need to sell in order to keep the club afloat by all accounts. I think the youngsters are the best (and only) way of us achieving that. 

Waghorn, Wisdom, Davies, Carson, Malone, Jozefzoon and Marriott are all out of contract (I believe) so they will be gone. You then have Clarke, Roberts, Beni, Gregory, Edmundson and Mengi who will return on loan. 

It leaves us with: Marshall, Forsyth, Shinnie, Bielik, Jozwiak, Bird, Lawrence, Ibe, Byrne, Kazim, Sibley, Roos, Buchanan and Knight in terms of players who have been in-and-around the first team.  

You would expect Marshall, Bielik, Jozwiak, Bird, Lawrence, Sibley, Buchanan and Knight to be moved on to plug that £10m loss in revenue we're about to take. The quicker we move them on, the better it will be for us in terms of attracting free agents so maybe we have a fire sale. I can't imagine we will be buying any players at all this summer. Byrne, Shinnie and others could also be moved on (of course) so we will have to wait and see. 

The only thing we can guarantee from relegation is that it's a hard reset button. The team (and club in general) will be completely unrecognisable.  

On 06/05/2021 at 12:38, Sparkle said:

If we sell the youngsters we really are in trouble in terms of a promising team 

Thats all well and good if there good enough,Bird,Sibley and Knight have all flattered to deceive this season and both Buchanan and Forsyth have been outshone by Malone at Millwall with goals and assists.

When you look at potential in a player then look at Hughes and Hendrick now we are talking about youthful potential

We need at least 7 decent signings this summer if not more to give us a squad that is big enough to come with a full season,

18 minutes ago, ramboy63 said:

Thats all well and good if there good enough,Bird,Sibley and Knight have all flattered to deceive this season and both Buchanan and Forsyth have been outshone by Malone at Millwall with goals and assists.

When you look at potential in a player then look at Hughes and Hendrick now we are talking about youthful potential

We need at least 7 decent signings this summer if not more to give us a squad that is big enough to come with a full season,

We can’t afford the likes of Malone though it’s the kids and senior professionals without clubs who will play for the type of money they are not used to receiving as in much smaller amounts 

2 hours ago, ramboy63 said:

It's about time the young players were cut some slack - Buchanan, Bird and Knight are still only 20 and Sibley 19. You mention Hendrick and Hughes - we knew Will was a special talent, at least at Championship level - but they were 24 and 22 before getting their 'big' moves - who knows what level our youngsters will be at in 4 years time.

They have just had to endure a fight against relegation which would have tested the most seasoned professionals let alone those with very little experience - what a horrendous season in which to try and be fully integrated into the Clubs'senior squad.

One of the saving graces about having no fans in the ground is at least, with things going wrong, the boo boys are kept at bay.

6 hours ago, Sparkle said:

We can’t afford the likes of Malone though it’s the kids and senior professionals without clubs who will play for the type of money they are not used to receiving as in much smaller amounts 

Im not saying get rid of them,they will be good squad players for sureand agree they are still young in a difficult season

Lets hope the take over does happen as need hardened championship players,we certainly need two central defenders as i doubt Matt Clarke will be released for a third season and dont get me started about Wisdom,Edmonson will go back to Rangers but could come back on the cheap,we also need better cover for Beilik as i can see him being the next George Thorne

3 hours ago, ramboy63 said:

Im not saying get rid of them,they will be good squad players for sureand agree they are still young in a difficult season

Lets hope the take over does happen as need hardened championship players,we certainly need two central defenders as i doubt Matt Clarke will be released for a third season and dont get me started about Wisdom,Edmonson will go back to Rangers but could come back on the cheap,we also need better cover for Beilik as i can see him being the next George Thorne

Bielik should be sold purely because of the risk factor for injuries from now on when he is sellable.- Clarke just isn’t good enough for the premiership and Brighton don’t need him but weather we can get him again is another matter. 

13 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Bielik should be sold purely because of the risk factor for injuries from now on when he is sellable.- Clarke just isn’t good enough for the premiership and Brighton don’t need him but weather we can get him again is another matter. 

Both possible a true point,however trying to sell Beilik we would get a fraction of what we payed for him given his injuries he needs to get fit and show some form first and if Brighton decide to sell Clarke they would look to recoup around 3.5M for him which will probably be way out of our remit 

Buchanan will probably go, simply to cover the Keogh pay off.

Someone else will go to cover any EFL FFP fine.

Then a 3rd player will have to go to allow an element of wheeling and dealing. Each one adds a player to the number we need to bring in as replacement.

Harsh summer with a lot of cut price sales just to stabilise things.

13 minutes ago, Ramplinho said:

Buchanan will probably go, simply to cover the Keogh pay off.

Someone else will go to cover any EFL FFP fine.

Then a 3rd player will have to go to allow an element of wheeling and dealing. Each one adds a player to the number we need to bring in as replacement.

Harsh summer with a lot of cut price sales just to stabilise things.

I can honestly say this is the 1st year in a long time that I have no anxiety about anyone leaving. As much as I would like to keep Buchanan, Knight and Sibley i wouldn't lose sleep if anyone left.

Bielik is the one I'd be gutted if we sold and no one is going to buy him just yet.

Buchanan playing so little would suggest he was being saved. England under 21 full back, full of promise, Bristol City would command 13 million, so we would probably be looking at 3 rising to 5 million.

Knight a full international, one of Republic of Irelands shining lights, another 3 to 5 million.

Bird and Sibley couple of million a pop.

If ever there was a time the academy was the future (or lifeline) for the club, it is now!

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I can honestly say this is the 1st year in a long time that I have no anxiety about anyone leaving. As much as I would like to keep Buchanan, Knight and Sibley i wouldn't lose sleep if anyone left.

Bielik is the one I'd be gutted if we sold and no one is going to buy him just yet.

Buchanan playing so little would suggest he was being saved. England under 21 full back, full of promise, Bristol City would command 13 million, so we would probably be looking at 3 rising to 5 million.

Knight a full international, one of Republic of Irelands shining lights, another 3 to 5 million.

Bird and Sibley couple of million a pop.

If ever there was a time the academy was the future (or lifeline) for the club, it is now!

I am glad you are not in charge of our transfer policy to be honest 

57 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I am glad you are not in charge of our transfer policy to be honest 

Why? If I was in charge Buchanan would be 13 million and I would be commanding a lot more for Sibley and Knight. Those valuations are based on our general crapness when it comes to selling players. And the fact I wouldnt lose sleep if we lost the mentioned players, after this year I honestly think the club needs a great reset and I wouldn't be upset to lose anyone if it meant saving the club.

If I was in charge of Derbys recruitment back when we were splashing cash i would moved heaven and earth to sign Tom Cairney from Blackburn, a player I rated before he made a name at Fulham, Sergei Canos when he was at Liverpool and Alan Judge at Brentford. Whether they would have signed for us is another thing of course.

23 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Why? If I was in charge Buchanan would be 13 million and I would be commanding a lot more for Sibley and Knight. Those valuations are based on our general crapness when it comes to selling players. And the fact I wouldnt lose sleep if we lost the mentioned players, after this year I honestly think the club needs a great reset and I wouldn't be upset to lose anyone if it meant saving the club.

If I was in charge of Derbys recruitment back when we were splashing cash i would moved heaven and earth to sign Tom Cairney from Blackburn, a player I rated before he made a name at Fulham, Sergei Canos when he was at Liverpool and Alan Judge at Brentford. Whether they would have signed for us is another thing of course.

Cairney - Joined Fulham 1/7/15 for £4m. We already had Thorne, Hendrick, Hughes and Bryson... and before the injuries to the latter 2.

Canos - Joined Brentford 31/01/17 for £2.6m. We already had Ince, Russell, Weimann, Blackman, Camara, Anya and Bennett at the club. Another winger wasn't a priority.

Judge - Joined Brentford permanently 1/7/14 and left 14/1/19. Ince, Russell, Weimann, Dawkins, Camara, Blackman, Anya, Bennett and Lawrence as winger options during that period. Again, not a priority.

On 14/05/2021 at 08:28, Ghost of Clough said:

Cairney - Joined Fulham 1/7/15 for £4m. We already had Thorne, Hendrick, Hughes and Bryson... and before the injuries to the latter 2.

Canos - Joined Brentford 31/01/17 for £2.6m. We already had Ince, Russell, Weimann, Blackman, Camara, Anya and Bennett at the club. Another winger wasn't a priority.

Judge - Joined Brentford permanently 1/7/14 and left 14/1/19. Ince, Russell, Weimann, Dawkins, Camara, Blackman, Anya, Bennett and Lawrence as winger options during that period. Again, not a priority.

I think his point is that the money would have been better spent on those players.....

Cairney is a better player than Hendrick and Bryson 

Canos better all of those bar possibly Russell and a flying Tom Ince

Judge again id rate higher than most of those of that list bar Ince, Russell and the rare on form version of Lawrence

43 minutes ago, SparxTheRam said:

I think his point is that the money would have been better spent on those players.....

Cairney is a better player than Hendrick and Bryson 

Canos better all of those bar possibly Russell and a flying Tom Ince

Judge again id rate higher than most of those of that list bar Ince, Russell and the rare on form version of Lawrence

But all of those players were at the club before the time he suggested we should have signed them.

Cairney has fewer than 50 PL apps to his name. Hard to argue against Hendrick being better. So too Hughes.
Spending another £2.6m on a winger when we're already overflowing in that position would have been even more irresponsible.
Judge hasn't played more than a half season in the Championship since 15/16. We're lucky to have avoided that one.

20 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

But all of those players were at the club before the time he suggested we should have signed them.

Cairney has fewer than 50 PL apps to his name. Hard to argue against Hendrick being better. So too Hughes.
Spending another £2.6m on a winger when we're already overflowing in that position would have been even more irresponsible.
Judge hasn't played more than a half season in the Championship since 15/16. We're lucky to have avoided that one.

So sell them and bring in the better players? I think that's his point.... He would have changed the squad as those there weren't good enough and we seemed to have the money to get players that would have been better.

No saying Judge would have had the same injuries with us although it's likely with our record ?

Cairney is a different player to Hendrick but I would say he's a more talented footballer in terms of ability. I think Hendrick was great at what he did.

I always wanted us to sign Jack Cork way back when, I think he'd have been a quality player for us 

• 3 months later...