We won’t go down

Curtains

9 minutes ago, Curtains said:

You think he’s so pigheaded he doesn’t listen to his coaches or McClaren

He's made it clear McClaren has no input other than broad (and board) advice.

Rosenior & Given are nearly as inexperienced as he is, what advice can they really offer?

Rooney most definitely does have some pigheadedness in him, he's similar to Nigel Clough in this regard imo, for better or worse.

Edited by Coconut

13 minutes ago, Coconut said:

CKR is doing well when you consider he needs an injection just to play. We tend to just lump it up to him though for a physical battle (even though his injury means he loses a lot) instead of using the (pretty good!) skill he has with his feet, we're making it hard for him to perform.

Sibley "not doing enough" seems.to be based on his performances on the wing. The ONE time we used him correctly (Brentford) he scored a goal to get us a point! I'm.not moaning about him not playing, I'm moaning about the use of him when he does.

We've tossed the captaincy around so often this season that it's more meaningless than ever - Rooney gave it to Knight for a short spell because of his work ethic but it clearly weighed down on his shoulders - that itself could have contributed to Knight's poor form. Again though, he's been played out of his natural position more times than not. 

Buchanan has been OK. Bird doesn't really have a natural or consistent place in Rooney's tactics.

So forgive me but where would you play Sibley on Saturday and what team would you play. 

Mine would be with a false 9 

Marshall 

Byrne        Edmundson     Clarke    Buchanan 

Shinnie       Bird      Knight  

Sibley 

Joswiak         Lawrence 

19 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Rosenior & Given are nearly as inexperienced as he is, what advice can they really offer?

Rooney most definitely does have some pigheadedness in him, he's similar to Nigel Clough in this regard imo, for better or worse.

I think the reason a not fully fit CKR plays is because of McClaren !

Edited by Curtains

50 minutes ago, Coconut said:

For worse

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He's the only striker we have. FWIW Rooney has said he favours 4-3-3 also.

So play it 

Play with Sibley as a false 9 

Marshall 

Byrne        Edmundson     Clarke    Buchanan 

Sibley 

Joswiak         Lawrence 

14 minutes ago, Curtains said:

I think the reason a not fully fit CKR plays is because of McClaren !

OK, but there's nothing I can think of to suggest that's accurate.

16 minutes ago, Curtains said:

So forgive me but where would you play Sibley on Saturday and what team would you play. 

Mine would be with a false 9 

Marshall 

Byrne        Edmundson     Clarke    Buchanan 

Sibley 

Joswiak         Lawrence 

The issue is bigger than naming starting a 11s in a single match for the end of season decider. It's bigger than just sticking players on the pitch in a stated formation, it's about coaching them to play the formation and making sure they know their jobs, game in game out.

However I might start Sibley as the most advanced of a middle 3. Shinnie sitting, Knight buzzing attempting to link play with both of those, Jozwiak, Roberts, CKR. We're not talking free flowing Steve McClaren 2014/15 expression but we're not talking bottom 3, 32 goals from 45 games either.

I might start the game with Shinnie sitting, Bird a little more advanced to add a little more class, control and link play. I might have my 2 wingers swap sides a little more often, but non of this would be defined purely by the starting 11.

I might do many things! They would be designed with the intention of getting players in their best position, in their most comfortable and effective role,  however many minutes they received.

It's all about game management over the course of weeks, months , it's not about a single game.

It's not about creating a team who tear up the league with our resources, it's about the slim margins where we've drawn games one goal could have won, or lost games 1 goal could have drawn and how we could have got that goal.

17 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Relegation if Rotherham beat Luton 

Tough call but I’d like Rotherham to lose I think.  They have every chance to overtake us even if we beat Wednesday.
Wednesday need to be under the same pressure as us  on the last day, if they are already down they can relax.

I’m not confident our  so called coaching team will be able to muster one last ditch performance and result from their team

4 minutes ago, Coconut said:

OK, but there's nothing I can think of to suggest that's accurate.

The issue is bigger than naming starting a 11s in a single match for the end of season decider. It's bigger than just sticking players on the pitch in a stated formation, it's about coaching them to play the formation and making sure they know their jobs, game in game out.

However I might start Sibley as the most advanced of a middle 3. Shinnie sitting, Knight buzzing attempting to link play with both of those, Jozwiak, Roberts, CKR. We're not talking free flowing Steve McClaren 2014/15 expression but we're not talking bottom 3, 32 goals from 45 games either.

I might start the game with Shinnie sitting, Bird a little more advanced to add a little more class, control and link play. I might have my 2 wingers swap sides a little more often, but non of this would be defined purely by the starting 11.

I might do many things! They would be designed with the intention of getting players in their best position, in their most comfortable and effective role,  however many minutes they received.

It's all about game management over the course of weeks, months , it's not about a single game.

It's not about creating a team who tear up the league with our resources, it's about the slim margins where we've drawn games one goal could have won, or lost games 1 goal could have drawn and how we could have got that goal.

This my opinion.

I believe CKR is the problem 

He is slow and easy to read 

I say play a false 9 with Sibley 

A floating or false 9 is a centre forward who leaves his position in the centre of attack and moves deeper to link with the midfield. When the false 9 moves deep (towards his own goal), the defenders are unsure whether to go and mark him. This creates confusion in defence.

Edited by Curtains

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Yes. Bielik just papered over the cracks. 

The only crack is (was) a predatory clinical dynamic goal scorer. With Bielik the machine worked reasonably well, allowing for that deficit. It functioned, made progress or at least held its own. It wasn’t great but it ticked over. 

now though, we lack both a powerhouse link in midfield AND a predatory dynamic goal scorer. .. you can hobble along with a dodgy knee and get there in the end, but if someone nicks your walking stick, no coaching in the world will sort it in the competitive environment that is the championship.

my disappointment is mostly that the likes of Waggy, Knight, Sibley and Joz just haven’t been able to take enough of the few chances that have come our way. That’s life, luck, confidence and whatever else because I know all of them are grafters. Maybe on Saturday we’ll scrape through if we get a decent roll of the dice but really, to get in to technical discussions about coaching finesse and suggest something particular would make a notable difference isn’t credible in my opinion. 

58 minutes ago, Coconut said:

No input because he doesn't listen to him.