Let me offer you Sophie's Choice

9 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

To all those hinting that survival this season will inevitably lead to relegation merely being delayed until next season, I have three words to say to you...

Barnsley.  Football.  Club.

Never underestimate what a new season can bring!  ?

And a new manager which is what Barnsley got.

5 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I'd actually choose option 2 as option 1 would only defer option 2 for another year.

Clearly there's not a lot right with the club now but the departure of players this summer leaves us with a comparatively low wage bill, a core of decent young talent & plenty of saleable assets. That represents a real opportunity to rebuild & I don't want that wasted by a celebrity incompetent like Rooney.

The reality is Rooney will cling on if we stay up, his deluded belief in his own managerial abilities will mean more months of young talent going backwards, dreadful football & poor results.

If it meant dropping a division to shame him into resigning, its a heavy price I'm willing to pay.

I agree with everything you’ve said especially the regression of the youngsters, even that “terrible” manager Cocu had them playing well.

All that said I can’t pick the relegation option. That division is so hard to get out of and “bigger” clubs have a target on their backs, look at Sunderlands struggles down there.

When Cocu went we had the chance to appoint a proper manager, according to the club we we’re interviewing candidates. I don’t believe this though, it felt like Rooney was always heir apparent, no matter that he had time off, turned up unfit, clearly lacking interest and putting in appalling performances.

All the warning signs were there and as much as I appreciate Mel putting money into the club, this decision is one he should deeply regret.

Sorry about the long post but I’m appalled that our club has been handed over to a celebrity managerial wannabe as his little plaything!

2 hours ago, MikeS said:

No, there is another option. We stay up and Rooney goes. Clearly, the coaching and management set-up is all wrong, as well as the weak playing staff.

There's load of other options @MikeS 

One of which would be to ask you to read the small print of a legal document.

I'm not Mel, I was merely curious to know what Derby fans who had to pick one of the other would do.

27 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

I agree with everything you’ve said especially the regression of the youngsters, even that “terrible” manager Cocu had them playing well.

All that said I can’t pick the relegation option. That division is so hard to get out of and “bigger” clubs have a target on their backs, look at Sunderlands struggles down there.

When Cocu went we had the chance to appoint a proper manager, according to the club we we’re interviewing candidates. I don’t believe this though, it felt like Rooney was always heir apparent, no matter that he had time off, turned up unfit, clearly lacking interest and putting in appalling performances.

All the warning signs were there and as much as I appreciate Mel putting money into the club, this decision is one he should deeply regret.

Sorry about the long post but I’m appalled that our club has been handed over to a celebrity managerial wannabe as his little plaything!

Totally respect your opinion, the League One option is massive collateral damage (reputational, financial & playing side). Its a damning indictment on Rooney though that some of us would rather the nuclear option of going down than him stay.

Should also add if we do go down next Saturday, I'll be devastated. Never known 3rd tier football & don't especially want to. Sunderland are a warning sign for what can happen but may well return this year (3rd as we speak). Im trying to rationalise it by remembering Leeds were down there for 3 seasons & Sheffield Utd for 6 seasons but they both rebounded stongly. Teams will always return to their 'natural level' eventually...even a club like AFC Wimbledon.

Good points also re Rooney's sham coronation. It was always going to happen & even the fixtures were nicely laid out to give him every chance (i.e. Bristol & Boro away left to a committee whereas he started with Wycombe & Cov at home). I'd love to know the background with his contract but I strongly suspect he had first refusal on the job. Never heard any details of other names interviewed, which is odd as snippets do tend to be leaked/bookies odds dramatically change.

Edited by LeedsCityRam

Stay up with Rooney staying if  he gets a complete change of backroom team and pays heed to their input.

Saying that I can’t say for sure if they are that influential on him or he largely ignores their input but he seemed to looking at Rosenior’s notepad during the Birmingham game.

If we look at their contributions in both Rooney’s and Cocu’s tenures, they don’t seem to be bringing much to the table.

I just think relegation should be avoided at all costs otherwise Rooney could buggar off for me an’ all.

34 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Where’s option 3?

We go down and Rooney won’t leave and Mel won’t sack him?

There is that risk, but I think at that point fan power would intervene. Rooney and the team have been very lucky that they're playing in an empty stadium; that won't be the case for much longer. If next season is a continuation of this one, whichever league we're in, then the fans will turn on him very quickly. Mass booing, "you don't know what you're doing" chants, and maybe even protests after matches. I don't think he'd put up with that for long. It adversely impacts his 'brand',  and Sky and the media would be all over it. I think there'd be a point that it would become too toxic for him.

10 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Totally respect your opinion, the League One option is massive collateral damage (reputational, financial & playing side). Its a damning indictment on Rooney though that some of us would rather the nuclear option of going down than him stay.

Should also add if we do go down next Saturday, I'll be devastated. Never known 3rd tier football & don't especially want to. Sunderland are a warning sign for what can happen but may well return this year (3rd as we speak). Im trying to rationalise it by remembering Leeds were down there for 3 seasons & Sheffield Utd for 6 seasons but they both rebounded stongly. Teams will always return to their 'natural level' eventually...even a club like AFC Wimbledon.

Good points also re Rooney's sham coronation. It was always going to happen & even the fixtures were nicely laid out to give him every chance (i.e. Bristol & Boro away left to a committee whereas he started with Wycombe & Cov at home). I'd love to know the background with his contract but I strongly suspect he had first refusal on the job. Never heard any details of other names interviewed, which is odd as snippets do tend to be leaked/bookies odds dramatically change.

Now you mention it, I can’t remember any leaked candidates in the interview process either, as you say that’s strange in itself.

I’m sure the club more than once said interviews were ongoing and this was regurgitated in the media. 

6 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

We stay up and Rooney stays on.

We go down and Rooney leaves.

They are your only choices, which one will you take?

Absolutely crazy that any Derby fan would choose relegation. Too much of their own ego involved there for sure. If we stay up and it looks like Rooney is failing he's sacked and we're still in the Championship. 

1 hour ago, Ramarena said:

Very well put. Would a large failing comprehensive school in special measures remove the Head Teacher and replace them with someone who had been a star pupil but never managed a school ? Ludicrous decision then, ludicrous decision now.

2 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Very well put. Would a large failing comprehensive school in special measures remove the Head Teacher and replace them with someone who had been a star pupil but was now a slacker who couldn’t perform and had no interest in the school, but never managed a school ? Ludicrous decision then, ludicrous decision now.

FTFY 

35 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Absolutely crazy that any Derby fan would choose relegation. Too much of their own ego involved there for sure. If we stay up and it looks like Rooney is failing he's sacked and we're still in the Championship. 

Not looks like he is failing, but totally agree...

8 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Very well put. Would a large failing comprehensive school in special measures remove the Head Teacher and replace them with someone who had been a star pupil but never managed a school ? Ludicrous decision then, ludicrous decision now.

Well who  sacked Cocu, the manager that put us bottom, to expect the star pupil to save us? ?

4 hours ago, Ramarena said:

Yes , Sunderland , been taken over and had a new manager and still might not get promoted , be careful what you wish for Rams fans

Option 1. We would probably start poorly and be languishing in the bottom 3, at which point the trigger would be pulled (again). 

Otherwise, Wayne might surprise everyone and get some results. Doesn't seem likely though.....