Underappreciated Players

Kernow

22 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Johnny Russell

I think if nothing else for the way season after season we'd sign his replacment in the summer and then end up with Russell as a main fixture in the side.

I think he did lose the love, if I remember rightly he got a nice move lined up (Brighton possibly?) that the club put a stop to.

28 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I've seen on social media today that it's Bradley Johnson's birthday, and it got me thinking about his time at the Club. He started really well in his first 10 games or so, when he came in last-minute along with Jacob Butterfield to fill the gaps left by long-term injuries to Will Hughes and Craig Bryson away at Bolton in the first game of the season.

However he's a player I'd probably regard as largely "underappreciated" by the fans as a whole. He was often booed, criticised, blamed for periods of bad form etc...

Given how this season has gone (and is going), is there anyone you'd look back on over the last few seasons who is no longer and the Club and think they were actually more underappreciated than you remember at the time?

I certainly think we could do with a player like Bradley Johnson this season. There's probably many more we criticised or wrote off, who would improve us no end right now.

He got a rousing reception when he returned with Blackburn last season, even if he did take some unfair flak at times when at the club (mainly driven by his price tag). Don't think he was underappreciated by most of us.

I can think of quite a few over the Nigel clough years who came in for peanuts and did solid if unspectacular jobs before beng gradually upgraded. In the Mel years there were far to many expensive flops.

I know he wasn't a Clough signing, but Paul Green just did so much work in that team, which was basically :poo: but did enough to survive and eventually improve.

30 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I had him in mind, however I wasn't too sure about how "underappreciated" he actually was.

I loved him when he was at Derby and would love him back now. He was possibly unfairly criticised by some, but he'd still make our first XI now.

Remember seeing him looking really miserable in Morrison’s just before he left .

He was appreciated by the fans but not sure  he wanted  to stay at Derby because of getting less game time  .

He would get in Derby’s team now I reckon 

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/johnny-russell-Derby-kansas-city-1230225

Edited by Curtains

25 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

I always thought Mick Harford did a good job in his short time with us.

Ravanelli always got stick for his mega wage, but always gave everything and was often the best (of a bad bunch) on the pitch.

Controversial in both cases I expect.

Ravanelli certainly didnt put everything in when we got relegated...agree he again got stick for the money he was on..

54 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I've seen on social media today that it's Bradley Johnson's birthday, and it got me thinking about his time at the Club. He started really well in his first 10 games or so, when he came in last-minute along with Jacob Butterfield to fill the gaps left by long-term injuries to Will Hughes and Craig Bryson away at Bolton in the first game of the season.

However he's a player I'd probably regard as largely "underappreciated" by the fans as a whole. He was often booed, criticised, blamed for periods of bad form etc...

Given how this season has gone (and is going), is there anyone you'd look back on over the last few seasons who is no longer and the Club and think they were actually more underappreciated than you remember at the time?

I certainly think we could do with a player like Bradley Johnson this season. There's probably many more we criticised or wrote off, who would improve us no end right now.

Would have been better on loan it seems in terms of contract length and price paid 

2 minutes ago, MrPlinkett said:

prepared to get mullered for this,  but connor sammon..work rate was good and goal scoring record was ok.

I reckon he would improve today's team.

10 goals in 84 games it says on Wiki.....that's 5 goals a season. For a striker. If that's ok then would love to know your idea of someone with a poor scoring record.