Underappreciated Players

Kernow

Trouble with Bradley Johnson is he was bought as a Bryson replacement, someone who would bomb on past the striker and score goals that way but simply, he was never ever that. 

Once expectations were scaled back he found his role as a midfield anchor and was pretty good. Under McClaren when we went loads of games without conceding he was immense then proved himself as pretty indispensable under Lampard too. You could argue we had to pay up to £8m to replace / upgrade him.

We miss him but that isn’t saying much and is only because of Bielik’s injury.

I think Alex Pearce was under appreciated

24 minutes ago, stickywotsits said:

Peter Daniel...

Before breaking into the team as Roy Mac's replacement possibly, but definitely not afterwards.....

71A66EF2-76E8-4B0C-93BC-1939F8F54677.jpegWinners of the Jack Stamps Trophy, as voted for by fans.

Edited by richinspain

1 hour ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

(In the last 10 years)

Paul Coutts
John Eustace
Johnny Russell
Jamie Ward

All four were a lot better than most people gave them credit for IMO.

Said it before but I think Coutts was absolute class and potentially the best midfielder we had at that time. It’s a shame he did his knee in before McClaren took over. 

I always find it amazing how many players from that Derby team also say Eustace is the best holding midfielder they’ve ever played with. Fozzy, Ward, Hughes and Bryson off the top of my head. From a fan’s point of view we’d all say Thorne was streets ahead.

2 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Connor Sammon. Bear with me with this one. Nobody could ever argue he was a great footballer or a guaranteed starter for us. However as a sub for sheer nuisance factor and used as a battering ram, I thought he did a job in a few games when thrown on. 

2 hours ago, MrPlinkett said:

prepared to get mullered for this,  but connor sammon..work rate was good and goal scoring record was ok.

I reckon he would improve today's team.

When he made his debut (was it against Watford??) and he burst through knocking their two centre backs out the way before sprinting through and bending one in from the edge of the box I though here we go, nigels got his man, we’re up! 
Always enjoyed watching him play though. 

Think how fans rated Dawkins said a lot about them as a football fan. I thought he was mint but could see the role he had for Mac. Others weren’t so complementary. 

Jeff Hendrick. Good player for us and clearly had good skill, physical presence and finishing ability but he was the least fashionable and lowest rated by our fans from the midfield of Hughes/Bryson/Thorne. He went on to prove himself to be vastly superior to all of these, brought in a record transfer fee (or close enough) but is the least loved by the fans.  

3 hours ago, chewbacca said:

Darryl Powell

Well I for one didn't appreciate him.  Such a backwards step for the team, as for me Jim Smith started making the decision that it was either Powell or Baiano and he chose Powell, which was a crime against football. However, the one decent thing Darryl did was move to the Gumps and get them relegated!

4 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Well I for one didn't appreciate him.  Such a backwards step for the team, as for me Jim Smith started making the decision that it was either Powell or Baiano and he chose Powell, which was a crime against football. However, the one decent thing Darryl did was move to the Gumps and get them relegated!

Powell played for us from 1995 and saw us both promoted and then stabilised in the Premier league before Baiano joined, he played 207 games during one of our most successful periods in decades, under appreciated.

Ps Baiano was class