McClaren update

Oldben

I'm sure this has been posted before, but I've been a bit absent for a while (due to us being one of the worst championship teams in recent history). This article 'gave me all the feels' and I don't think i've said that before. How far we have fallen. 

https://theathletic.com/2034206/2020/09/04/steve-mcclaren-Derby-best-footballing-team-mel-morris-newcastle/

55 minutes ago, Rab a dab doo said:

Why where's he gone ?

Reminds me of the joke:

Charity fundraiser on the street rattles the collection tin and says: "Dr.Barnado's Home".

Person replies: "I didn't know he'd been away".

Drops Mic. ? I probably won't be here all week.

1 hour ago, IslandExile said:

Reminds me of the joke:

Charity fundraiser on the street rattles the collection tin and says: "Dr.Barnado's Home".

A bit like the "Steve Bloomer's watching" thread, where I can't help think "he's probably just upgraded his package to include Sky Sports". 

11 hours ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Loved Mac. Felt injuries cost is in that first season. I don’t know how he would be considered a great coach and bad manager? As you said his win percentage is impressive. He’s also had some notable achievements as a manager as well as coach 

A coach trains the team and sets them up. A manager has a bigger role in recruitment and man managing. Reading the book pride theree a few ex players like bryson who criticise his man managing.  

But yes his win percentage does speak volumes

6 hours ago, wixman1884 said:

84 goals in 13/14 (highest in the league)

32 goals in 20/21 (2nd lowest in history after 44 games) 

remove our entire coaching team. 

To be fair, goals are mainly scored by strikers. We don't have one, Cocu knew this, Rooney does, yet we did'nt get one in on the last 2 transfer windows. Managers, Scouts and the recruitment can all take the flak for this.

3 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

To be fair, goals are mainly scored by strikers. We don't have one, Cocu knew this, Rooney does, yet we did'nt get one in on the last 2 transfer windows. Managers, Scouts and the recruitment can all take the flak for this.

We never had a striker or pair of strikers getting 52 in a season tho.. (the difference between 2013 and now). 

Back then we had 5 or 6 forward thinking players in a McClaren 11, who were all chipping in goals. 

Now....we have 3 forward thinkers looking bemused and getting on the end of not much. ?

7 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Reminds me of the joke:

Bloke jumps in to a taxi and says "King Arthurs Close".

Taxi driver replies, "don't worry, we'll lose him at the lights"

33 minutes ago, sage said:

Embargo?

What Embargo, Cocu signed Mike Te Wierik, David Marshall, Matt Clarke, Nathan Bryne, Kamil Jozwiak and got Colin Kazim-Richards. Rooney brought in Teden Mengi, George Edmundson, Beni Baningime, Patrick Roberts and Lee Gregory. Thats 11 players in two transfer windows. Two strikers out of the 11, who both have never been prolific scorers prior to signing for Derby.

8 hours ago, plymouthram said:

What Embargo, Cocu signed Mike Te Wierik, David Marshall, Matt Clarke, Nathan Bryne, Kamil Jozwiak and got Colin Kazim-Richards. Rooney brought in Teden Mengi, George Edmundson, Beni Baningime, Patrick Roberts and Lee Gregory. Thats 11 players in two transfer windows. Two strikers out of the 11, who both have never been prolific scorers prior to signing for Derby.

I'm referring to Rooney. He had 5 days to pick up the last drippings of available cheap loans.

22 minutes ago, sage said:

I'm referring to Rooney. He had 5 days to pick up the last drippings of available cheap loans.

I can’t remember other teams around us splashing the cash and bringing loads of new players in?. But they have continued to pick up more points than us? Just trying to think why that might be.....