McClaren update

Oldben

3 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Journalist makes up story with no solid foundation, manager denies It, everyone ignores him 
I can’t believe that people still believe all the crap spouted by lazy hacks. 

great answer by Wayne, he should ban  Percy the rick from his press conferences. 

This is exactly why this rubbish exists on the net..no foundation..no evidence of any reality..its even been dismissed by the guy it's aimed at as BS...but people will believe what they want to believe...and so it will continue.....

10 hours ago, mr kia said:

If rooney and Rosenior are still here probably not many. Still can't believe they gave him a 2 and a half year contract its baffling.

The difficulty for any appointment is that if it goes wrong, the hindsight experts  come out in droves. Not aimed at you @mr kia, just a general observation. 

• If he is given a 1 year contract to prove himself, and does really well he’d be targeted by others. Cue criticism for not locking him down when it was “obvious he was going to be a success”
  •  if he does badly on a 3 year contract, well then “It’s naive to give a long contract to an inexperienced manager”

I suppose the compromise is a 1 year deal, with enforceable extensions of say 1 or 2 years to at least ensure decent compensation (a la Lampard) if he is a success. 

10 hours ago, MikeS said:

Rooney may survive and stay, but I wonder how many season tickets get sold next year?

I guess that rather depends on whether we get new owners confirmed and they give Rooney money to transform his squad. 

The last transfer window only allowed him to bring in the young and the old. 

He will have targets. The type of players who will battle and play intelligently. 

If we bring in six or seven, the fans will go into a frenzy again and this season will be forgotten (until our first defeat). 

9 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I guess that rather depends on whether we get new owners confirmed and they give Rooney money to transform his squad. 

The last transfer window only allowed him to bring in the young and the old. 

He will have targets. The type of players who will battle and play intelligently. 

If we bring in six or seven, the fans will go into a frenzy again and this season will be forgotten (until our first defeat). 

I wouldn't trust Rooney to boil me an egg never mind have a big budget for players.

9 hours ago, Stockport Ram said:

There is a certain pattern emerging with Mr Rooney.

As a Rams player, he began with bringing a touch of quality to the team. As time wore on, he became a liability.

As manager....

There wasn't a lot of quality on display earlier in the season though - Some more ruthlessly efficient results but not an awful lot of quality 

On 27/04/2021 at 16:58, cheron85 said:

There wasn't a lot of quality on display earlier in the season though - Some more ruthlessly efficient results but not an awful lot of quality 

I disagree there were some games where we played teams off the park - thinking specifically about Swansea, Preston, Birmingham away, Bristol City, Huddersfield, Bournemouth and the second half against Brentford as well as the recent match against Norwich. 

I don’t think the issue has been quality at all. Quite simply after Bielik got injured Rooney started to get clever and then he got defensive...and he stayed defensive until it was too late.

1 hour ago, norwichram said:

I disagree there were some games where we played teams off the park - thinking specifically about Swansea, Preston, Birmingham away, Bristol City, Huddersfield, Bournemouth and the second half against Brentford as well as the recent match against Norwich. 

I don’t think the issue has been quality at all. Quite simply after Bielik got injured Rooney started to get clever and then he got defensive...and he stayed defensive until it was too late.

We had some results i agree,but I never saw quality or impressive football,it never flowed or looked like it was planned tactically.To be honest it reminded me of a worse type of rowett system.

35 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

We had some results i agree,but I never saw quality or impressive football,it never flowed or looked like it was planned tactically.To be honest it reminded me of a worse type of rowett system.

There was some good football in spells. That first half against Swansea we moved it around really well, similarly in the first half against Bournemouth and Sheffield Wednesday. A lot of half performances where we got the ball down and played it around nicely.

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I kinda agree and disagree. I'm critical of Rooney and I don't think he should be in a job anymore but there was a small run from the Swansea game to the Sheffield Wednesday game where we switched to more of a true 433 and started to look pretty good, especially when Sibley was introduced into the attack. But that's it, we never built on it and I think there was a bit of evidence to suggest teams had worked out how to shut us down with Bielik after that run anyway. I suspect even if Bielik had remained fit we'd have seen a down turn in results anyway just not as drastic.

The brief run of decent results was primarily down to a fully fit Bielik with secondary factors being Wisdom being fit (and picking a consistent back 4), CKR being fully fit and not having to play Rooney. I've seen little encouraging about the coaching, tactical nous and man management from the current coaching set up and lot that is quite discouraging. Being frank the only reason Rooney is still manager is because of a combination of his name and the transition of ownership. No matter what happens in this last 2 games* we should look to move on in the summer and do it quickly.  

*I guess if we went out and battered Swansea and Sheff W and looked to have fixed the myriad of issues we have been showing tactically that might be enough to give me pause. But only a reckless gambler would take that bet.

34 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I kinda agree and disagree. I'm critical of Rooney and I don't think he should be in a job anymore but there was a small run from the Swansea game to the Sheffield Wednesday game where we switched to more of a true 433 and started to look pretty good, especially when Sibley was introduced into the attack. But that's it, we never built on it and I think there was a bit of evidence to suggest teams had worked out how to shut us down with Bielik after that run anyway. I suspect even if Bielik had remained fit we'd have seen a down turn in results anyway just not as drastic.

The brief run of decent results was primarily down to a fully fit Bielik with secondary factors being Wisdom being fit (and picking a consistent back 4), CKR being fully fit and not having to play Rooney. I've seen little encouraging about the coaching, tactical nous and man management from the current coaching set up and lot that is quite discouraging. Being frank the only reason Rooney is still manager is because of a combination of his name and the transition of ownership. No matter what happens in this last 2 games* we should look to move on in the summer and do it quickly.  

*I guess if we went out and battered Swansea and Sheff W and looked to have fixed the myriad of issues we have been showing tactically that might be enough to give me pause. But only a reckless gambler would take that bet.

To be fair,I had really forgot about that early period of 4-3-3 with sibbers and bielik and yes you are right,it did look much better but it seemed to be a brief patch sadly as we went away from that embryonic system (which I perhaps put down to Macs early influence and advice to wayne) and it all became a bit if a mess.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong