McClaren update

Oldben

Lots of folk keen to dismiss this as 'speculation' but does anyone actually have any grounds for doing so? Were it untrue, you'd think the club would be keen to dispel the rumours. We'll probably never know, but I'd not be surprised either way. It's very hard to look at the way we've set up and played in recent times and say it's in any way reminiscent of a McClaren side, that much is clear.

20 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Lots of folk keen to dismiss this as 'speculation' but does anyone actually have any grounds for doing so? Were it untrue, you'd think the club would be keen to dispel the rumours. We'll probably never know, but I'd not be surprised either way. It's very hard to look at the way we've set up and played in recent times and say it's in any way reminiscent of a McClaren side, that much is clear.

The source for it was John Percey in the telegraph, who did caveat himself "allegedly" - so it's speculation but given it's source I'd guess there is at least a wiff of smoke but nothing conclusive.

1 minute ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Folk are going to believe what they choose to. Percy is almost unanimously respected as THE most dependable of sources on this forum, but is dismissed as a gossip peddler by some when relaying a potentially 'uncomfortable truth'. Make of it what you will.

The only potential candidate for us Iin our situation are already here in the form of Mac and wassell,we just don't have the cash or prospects for anyone else definitely.

4 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

The only potential candidate for us Iin our situation are already here in the form of Mac and wassell,we just don't have the cash or prospects for anyone else definitely.

I argued at the time of Cocu's sacking that given the prevailing financial constraints, Mac's track record, availability and familiarity with the club, league and players made him the obvious call.

I've all sorts of respect for Mel but employing Rooney was a catastrophic error of judgement. That said, it's not over yet so let's just pray Wazza can galvanise the lads today as I feel we're in the last chance saloon.

47 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Folk are going to believe what they choose to. Percy is almost unanimously respected as THE most dependable of sources on this forum, but is dismissed as a gossip peddler by some when relaying a potentially 'uncomfortable truth'. Make of it what you will.

Very true. I see some definite mileage in this from what has gone on, but I’m also prepared for this to be speculation!or not representative of the full situation.

Whats strange is to see some people fiercely dismiss it out of hand (with no evidence to the contrary), when it’s come from the most reliable journalist out there.

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Well he shouldn't have used the word allegedly, he is clearly signaling that he doesn't know the truth of it

11 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Well he shouldn't have used the word allegedly, he is clearly signaling that he doesn't know the truth of it

He’s an honest reporter, and if you were used to his writing style and how he speaks, this is code for “I’ve been told this side of the story but not the other side of the story”.  

so, Percy will definitely NOT be lying, the person who told him could be lying, but Percy hasn’t been able to get the other side of the story to verify, but does believe it to be true. 

17 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

He’s an honest reporter, and if you were used to his writing style and how he speaks, this is code for “I’ve been told this side of the story but not the other side of the story”.  

so, Percy will definitely NOT be lying, the person who told him could be lying, but Percy hasn’t been able to get the other side of the story to verify, but does believe it to be true. 

I agree Mos, there is still a doubt over whether what he has been told is true

Edited by Spanish