May 1984 and April 2021

Jimbo Ram

I remember the day in 1984 waking up thinking the club would go bust. The relief when the news came in on the radio that we were saved was unreal. The games at the time were desperate. Losing 5-1 away at Barnsley and then getting a load of grief off Leeds fans on Sheffield Station who were loving our descent was probably as low as I've felt as a Rams fan. But also around the same time, Plymouth at home in the cup and the Steve Cherry incident and losing at home to Brighton I think 3-0 with the Baseball Ground crowd singing 'were so **** it's unbelievable' came pretty close to all time football lows. It was worse then in my opinion. 

In 1984 it just seemed like someone was in control. Stuart Webb had sweat blood to save the club and by bringing in the Maxwell's our future was secured. OK, that turned sour about 6 years later but in the meantime we returned to the top tier of English football.

At the moment it just seems like the grown-up's have left the room and left the kids in charge and they're not sure what to do.

8 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

There seems to be a lot of romance and nostalgia in this thread. In reality most of the players fondly remembered here were well past their best days... Buckley, Davison , Powell, Gemmil, Watson. How many continued to play in Div. 3?

Yeah, there was a reason for that.

Buckley Davison and Powell did and Bobby hadn,t reached his pomp yet

1 hour ago, therealhantsram said:

There seems to be a lot of romance and nostalgia in this thread. In reality most of the players fondly remembered here were well past their best days... Buckley, Davison , Powell, Gemmil, Watson. How many continued to play in Div. 3?

Yeah, there was a reason for that.

Past their best doesn't mean that they wouldn't make this team, sadly. Davison had only been at the club for one season.