POLL: “Survival” is it success or failure?

Mostyn6

POLL: Would survival be seen as success or failure?  

216 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

58 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

But you're comparing to the pre Rooney set of 13 games. Our form is similar to the pre Rooney results (over a similar number of matches) which were deemed bad enough to result in Cocu being shown the door. 

All I’m saying is that he took at team bottom of the table six points adrift and, our results compared with the rest of the league since he took over would put us 15th.

The difference with Cocu is that, whilst I sympathise with the situation he was in, he had been in charge for a full season.  

Survival shouldn’t be the measure of success.

If we stay up, it will be less to do with us than it is do with Rotherham and Wednesday’s inability to capitalise on our relegation worthy form for almost two thirds of the season.

For me, a good judge of the relative success or failure of Rooney’s time in charge is whether you are looking forward to him starting next season in charge.

Personally I would be crestfallen if Rooney is in charge next season, so clearly it’s a failure, a failure to impress.

Edited by Jourdan

15 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

All I’m saying is that he took at team bottom of the table six points adrift and, our results compared with the rest of the league since he took over would put us 15th.

The difference with Cocu is that, whilst I sympathise with the situation he was in, he had been in charge for a full season.  

Just to add, if Cocu had only been in charge for 30 games, taken over a team rock bottom and managed to improve the position sufficiently (only just) to avoid relegation then I wouldn’t be calling for his head either. I’m not convinced Rooney will be a good manager but if we somehow survive, I’m not sure I’d consider him a failure either.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

All the great players he's wasted! Yeah. 

1 win in 12, Roy.

Whether you rate the players or not, even you have to accept that Rooney hasn’t coaxed enough out of the players at his disposal, surely? If he had, safety would have been a formality weeks ago.

If this group were playing to their potential and still only winning 1 in 12, you would have to say: what more can Rooney do?

But I don’t think any of the core group of players is having a standout season, do you?

19 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

We were 2 points off safety when Cocu left. Why does Rooney get a pass for the Bristol City and Boro debacles? 

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Cocu took us to the bottom, stopped his run at 1 in 13?

It was one win in 11 under Cocu.

Game 12 and 13 were overseen by the four man committee.

Why is Cocu relevant anyway? I wanted to see Cocu go too and was equally as glum about our prospects with Cocu going into 20-21.

Edited by Jourdan

2 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Why is Cocu relevant anyway? I wanted to see Cocu go too and was equally as glum about our prospects with Cocu going into 20-21.

I'm more looking forward to 21/22 with Rooney in charge than I was 20/21 with Cocu in charge, providing we stay up that is. Maybe because there might genuinely be a rebuild and we can judge Rooney with a proper team.

6 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

I'm more looking forward to 21/22 with Rooney in charge than I was 20/21 with Cocu in charge, providing we stay up that is. Maybe because there might genuinely be a rebuild and we can judge Rooney with a proper team.

We had no rebuild before. I'm wondering who Rooney could get in given the 5 he got in January. They were an interesting selection let down by fitness issues probably caused by lack of games.

Edited by RoyMac5

So, in my original post, I drew comparisons to Nigel Clough, who was credited as successful for keeping a team up that wasn’t in the bottom three, yet Rooney wouldn’t be afforded the same barometer if he took team from rock bottom to safety? ??‍♂️

17 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

We had no rebuild before. I'm wondering who Rooney could get in given the 5 he got in January. They were an interesting selection let down by fitness issues probably caused by lack of games.

Yes, the 5 signings had a fantastic impact on our fortunes...

43 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Yes, the 5 signings had a fantastic impact on our fortunes...

Of the little we've seen of Edmundson, he looks a good player. Him and mengi are probably the only ones that could help us next season if we're looking to really push on. 

6 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Of the little we've seen of Edmundson, he looks a good player. Him and mengi are probably the only ones that could help us next season if we're looking to really push on. 

I think Edmundson gives us an extra attacking threat but not totally convinced how good a defender he is. Let’s hope he looks class tomorrow ?

55 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

So, in my original post, I drew comparisons to Nigel Clough, who was credited as successful for keeping a team up that wasn’t in the bottom three, yet Rooney wouldn’t be afforded the same barometer if he took team from rock bottom to safety? ??‍♂️

For me, part of the reason is the point of the season each became manager. Rooney will have had two thirds of the season and Clough had just under half the season.

When Clough came in the club was in a massive downward spiral. Rooney was part of the management team and squad that had made a poor start to the season, and that's all it was, a poor start. 

1 hour ago, rynny said:

We were 2 points off safety when Cocu left. Why does Rooney get a pass for the Bristol City and Boro debacles? 

I'm not talking about individual games or suggesting Rooney should get any free passes but, if you want to focus on those two games, they were his first in charge. Here are a couple of quotes from the BBC on the Bristol game. Don't forget also, Bristol were flying high at the time and the so called debacle (1:0 with a goal in the 78th minute) took Bristol third in the league so, I'm not sure why you've chosen that game.

Defeat was harsh on the visitors, who remain on six points, having managed just one Championship win in 12 so far this season.

But impressive as their build-up play was, their inability to take what few openings they forged, once again cost them dear