POLL: “Survival” is it success or failure?

Mostyn6

POLL: Would survival be seen as success or failure?  

216 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The remit when he took charge was to simply keep us in the division. If he achieves that, he has been successful. Yes it doesn't feel like a success in the grand scheme of things, but in the current circumstances it would be

15 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

The scale is binary. He can only be either a success or a failure. There’s isn’t a halfway measure! 

As regards his remit yes. 

But it’s often not as simple as that in football. 

I mean Nigel Clough left us with a good team at Derby but was he a success or was it McClaren that was the success.

Was Alex Ferguson a success at Man U in his first season there. 

http://en.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/119303.html

At the start of 1990, Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson (long before he was made a Knight of the Realm) was in trouble and his side were struggling at the wrong end of the Division One table. A run of eight games without a win saw the once-great Red Devils staring relegation in the face. The accepted story is that Ferguson would have been sacked if they had been knocked out of the FA Cup by Nottingham Forest on January 7. The game proved to be a reprieve from those calling for his head, but - possibly until the recent 6-1 hammering by rivals Man City - the time remains by his own admission his 'darkest period' as a manager.

9 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

No, there actually isn’t. It’s like eating something, you either ate it, or you didnt.

or, the Ram HAS got an eye, or it HASN’T! 

Rubbish!

Your analogies are akin to the question: "Is Wayne Rooney the manager of Derby County?". That's a binary question.

13 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

The remit when he took charge was to simply keep us in the division. If he achieves that, he has been successful. Yes it doesn't feel like a success in the grand scheme of things, but in the current circumstances it would be

One win in twelve and the shambles on the pitch, if we stay up by the skin of our teeth still difficult to judge that as success for me. He has had to deal with some major challenges but continues to make bad decisions, repeating many eg playing Knight out of position. We all make mistakes but Wazza just doesn’t seem to be learning from them unfortunately...

I honestly don't see how it's not seen as a failure regardless of survival at this point, it's just the difference between a big failure and a catastrophic one. Our survival in this league is no longer in our hands, we are relying on rotherham not catching up with their games in hand to survive. We have no clear structure, no clear pattern of play, defensively fragile, no clear plan of chance creation, we chop and change game to game, we keep making the same tactical and selection mistakes, we look undercoached and bereft of confidence and ideas, messaging is the media is scattershot, a player can be heaped praise one day only to get binned the next and that's just the obvious stuff. It carries all the hallmarks of bad management and there is little to suggest it will improve next season. With the time, fixtures and squad we had I'd have expected a decent-good manager to have guided us to a point where relegation wasn't a conversatin by this point in this season. It's becoming increasingly clear that the primary reasons that we had an uptick in results was Bielik's return combined with Rooney not playing and a few other players coming to fitness.

I am more confident that we shouldn't carry on with Rooney now than I was when Cocu left, I am more confident we are going down now than when Cocu left and I am confident that is a question of when should we sack him rather whether we should sack him at this point.

1 hour ago, lushrams said:

Given our precarious situation, current form and our bungling inept manager, avoiding relegation will be a massive success for this season.

Are we happy about it no, but we need to look at the short term goal here!

I think the original post is more asking whether it would be enough to classify Rooney as having a successful season.

I'd say given where we were when he took over... yes it would be a success.

Not a massive one, but a success.

Has he done enough to show he should be trusted to build the squad up next season... not for me.

Also, our squad is massively overrated by our fans. Pretty much all of them are playing to the standard that they are - lower Championship/League 1 standard. The reanimated corpse of Brian Clough himself might be able to get them up to the play offs but they're really not very good.

No one likes chopping and changing managers but the fact is that Rooney doesn't have the managerial nous or experience to be in charge of a club like ours at such a critical time. On Tuesday the players looked as though they had no idea what they were meant to do - that is on the manager and his coaching team. 

In my opinion he has failed but to be fair any manager with his lack of experience would be in the same boat - this should have been a job for someone who knows this division and what is required to stave off the threat of relegation.

Failure, but it has more to do with the performances than the league placing. If there was any fight in our players any green shoots of hope I wouldn't even care if we were in the relegation zone. As it is, there's nothing. No desire, no pride, no plan. The young players are going backwards. The senior pros are either hiding or marking time. Wycombe are going down, but they're going down with their heads held high, knowing that every member of their squad has given their best this season. We'll likely survive, but the lack of effort shown by some of our players is shameful.

Staying up was a minimum requirement so even if we somehow dig ourselves out of this hole in the last 3 games and stay up, it's not time for an open top bus tour of the city. If somehow we do escape then it will be by the skin of our teeth because I cant see where any points are coming from.

I would also point to the spectacular slide in form and attitude in recent times which doesn't bode well for the future or for the players strength of character or the managers influence over them, so it's not just about finishing position it's about the catastrophic decline in form that landed us in that position.

We know this squad is weak, we know that we lost our best player to injury but the attitude and lack of application shown by the team recently is a huge disappointment. I have seen some woeful Derby teams down the years and I accept that it is part of the cycle of a club like ours but the meek way that we have shuffled in front of the relegation bus is alarming and annoying in equal measure.

2 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

His remit was to finish 4th from bottom? Jesus effing Christ, what piss poor standards. No wonder we are going down.

2 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

No, there actually isn’t. It’s like eating something, you either ate it, or you didnt.

or, the Ram HAS got an eye, or it HASN’T! 

It's more of an open question than yes or no. Was his job to simply keep us up? Given he was given a 2.5 year deal, there should be evidence that we can achieve more next season and beyond.

Assuming he keeps us up...

#1 Keep us up - SUCCESS
#2 Build a platform to build off for next season - CATASTROPHIC FAILURE

Success rather than a failure. That was the job he was asked to do. Squad really lacks quality.

I will add that it is a very small success. 

If we are in the championship and the takeover is sorted I'd be inclined to keep him for the new season for some stability. 

Sorry needs some sort of 3rd option .

Im not a rooney fan far far from it .

Buttttttttttt i honestly dont think its fair to judge him till he has had a pre season and his own squad bought with some money behind him.

I mean honestly we have englands number one goal scorer who has had what , No money to spend on a squad that was already in a negative mindset and on a downward spiral . I personally dont think rooney would be a success given that on a personal note . But to be fair to him he hasnt had a fair crack of the whip yet .

What i do think is i wonder if the players are already not playing for him and some of the rooney stars in their eyes effect has worn off from the rest of the players . Was he to tough on waghorn , personally i think waghorn is average at best but he does give you impression he might be a bit of a clown . But has rooneys stance on putting him in line gone down well with the squad. You will never know whats happened unless you witness it yourself , in todays pampered world of over paid footballers i dont think brian clough would have gone down very well had he lived now in his prime . 

We are judging rooney lets not forget with no proper striker upfront at all at the right age and in his prime . You are also judging him on having to play with youngsters , you dont know if thats rooneys way yet at all , he has been forced into it . You are judging rooney who has made no major signings at all . Personally i dont think thats very fair . 

Archived