Realistic Manager Alternatives

DCFC Kicks

14 minutes ago, Derbados said:

You have find a manager who will fit the style of football in league one.

Theres absolutely no point going for a tippy tappy play it on the grass pretty football type appointment in that league with our current squad of wet wipes, you’ll get smashed to bits by by teams with little skill but maximum physicality. 

Honestly, if you want to be successful in league one, hire someone like Tony Pulis, let him sign a team full of 6 foot plus monsters to hoof it about and kick people 10 feet into the air. 

you need a horribleness about you to be successful in that league, players with character and a physical presence. This team of delicate little flowers would get eaten alive as we currently stand, look at what teams like Rotherham have done to us this season, you’ll get that most weeks in league one. 

This lot would fold like a pack of cards, they’re absolutely pathetic

Evatt achieved in in non-league with Barrow. He's achieving it with Bolton. What makes you think he couldn't do it with us?

If we go with someone like Pulis, then we may as well sack off the academy and sell every single player we currently own. It would be the single worst decision in Mel's reign as owner.

57 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

MK Dons manager if we wait until summer to change. Russel Martin been doing a very good job. Would probably still come to our sh1tshow because of the size of the club. 

I must confess I don’t know anything about the circumstances at MK but, aren’t they mid table in league 2 and his win rate is 38%?

Doesn’t sound great but, as I say, I don’t know what challenges he faces. He’s also a relative Rooney isn’t he?

1 hour ago, DCFClks said:

If we were to sack Rooney, now or after we get relegated, or if we somehow stay up, who would we get as replacement? some people asking for Wilder but that doesn't seem realistic to me. After looking at available managers, are these some more realistic managers we could go for?:

Alex Neil 

Derek McInnes 

Tony Pulis

Kenny Jackett

Neil Harris

Steve McClaren

Garry Monk

anyone else?

Could there be a more uninspiring bunch of no marks...? 

13 minutes ago, Arsene Titman said:

I expect Rooney will be here for the rest of the season, unless the takeover happens very soon and the new owner wants an immediate change. I like the look of Ian Evatt as possible successor. He’s played for the Rams ( and Chesterfield), he got Barrow back into the league for the first time in close to 50 years and he has arrested the plummet down the EFL of Bolton Wanderers and they currently occupy a league 2 promotion spot. At Barrow and Bolton, his average points per game would accrue 73 points per season. As a bonus, he was a centre half so he might just teach us how to defend. Whether new owners would look at lower division managers is another matter.

Interesting suggestion....

Ian Evatt would be my number one choice - 4 reasons;

1. On the verge of taking Bolton back into League One meaning in his first 3 seasons of football management, he will have got 2 teams promoted (other one was Barrow from the National League - he took over after they'd finished bottom 6 season previously)
  2. Plays entertaining attacking football - heavily influenced by Ian Holloway's Blackpool side in which he played when they got to the Prem in 2009. His Barrow team were known as 'Barrowcelona' such was the style they played with.
  3. Young, ambitious manager on the way up and Derby would be an exciting opportunity for him (rather than us having to convince a 'name' to drop down to our level)
  4. He is a Derby fan - came through the Academy here, went to Wembley in 2014 to watch us in the playoff final & in an interview with RamsTV 2 months ago, expressed a wish to return back here one day...

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2021/02/ramstv-meets-ian-evatt

image.png.f2b13bc28452c42e803c048c594cbdb2.png

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

I must confess I don’t know anything about the circumstances at MK but, aren’t they mid table in league 2 and his win rate is 38%?

Doesn’t sound great but, as I say, I don’t know what challenges he faces. He’s also a relative Rooney isn’t he?

10th in L1, 5 points off the playoffs. They were in the relegation spots when he took over part way through last season.

7 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

10th in L1, 5 points off the playoffs. They were in the relegation spots when he took over part way through last season.

Sorry, meant league one.

He’s still only been a manager for 17 months so, whilst an old hand compared to Rooney, he is still a very inexperienced manager. 

I feel like I want to give Wayne a chance, but if we drop into L1, I would like to clear the decks. It's been a disappointment since we appointed Cocu and the signing of Rooney was a gimmick that could cost the club severely, undermining the previous manager for a start.

I think it's harsh if anyone belittles Nigel Clough. He left this club better than he found it.

For me, perhaps it's premature to bandy names, but can't resist. I was browsing the top 10 in L1 & Michael Appleton appeals. Grim faced Northerner he may, but he did well at Oxford, style & playing assets (Kemar Roofe, O'Dowda). Cowley was not an easy act to follow but he appears to have taken Lincoln on to the next stage.

I think Darren Ferguson was being tongue in cheek when he tried to motivate his Peterborough side saying if they'd prefer visiting a L1 ground or us with 30k fans. It looks like we're going to be the ones visiting a L1 ground. Another manager who can build a team & sell players on at a profit.

Always liked Adkins, but he's now at Charlton. Some have mentioned Hasselbaink. Like Ferguson, can he only achieve success at one club? Both have flopped elsewhere in the Championship.

The switch from L2 to Championship challenging (Cowley, Nigel Clough), Evatt is an interesting shout.

Maybe if we do go down, we should establish what criteria we need (it's probably being discussed already earlier in the thread):

(1) Someone experienced in the lower leagues & knows what is needed

(2) Capable of building a side on a (reduced) budget

(3) Proven at developing talent (Academy)

It'll be bitterly disappointing to go down, but there's the nucleus of a side capable of doing well in L1. The commentary I was listening to yesterday lambasted our attitude, the lack of fight/urgency, but praised our midfield. In attack, we're too dependent on CKR and didn't get any others in the penalty box. 

2 minutes ago, Asanovic70 said:

I feel like I want to give Wayne a chance, but if we drop into L1, I would like to clear the decks. It's been a disappointment since we appointed Cocu and the signing of Rooney was a gimmick that could cost the club severely, undermining the previous manager for a start.

I think it's harsh if anyone belittles Nigel Clough. He left this club better than he found it.

For me, perhaps it's premature to bandy names, but can't resist. I was browsing the top 10 in L1 & Michael Appleton appeals. Grim faced Northerner he may, but he did well at Oxford, style & playing assets (Kemar Roofe, O'Dowda). Cowley was not an easy act to follow but he appears to have taken Lincoln on to the next stage.

I think Darren Ferguson was being tongue in cheek when he tried to motivate his Peterborough side saying if they'd prefer visiting a L1 ground or us with 30k fans. It looks like we're going to be the ones visiting a L1 ground. Another manager who can build a team & sell players on at a profit.

Always liked Adkins, but he's now at Charlton. Some have mentioned Hasselbaink. Like Ferguson, can he only achieve success at one club? Both have flopped elsewhere in the Championship.

The switch from L2 to Championship challenging (Cowley, Nigel Clough), Evatt is an interesting shout.

Maybe if we do go down, we should establish what criteria we need (it's probably being discussed already earlier in the thread):

(1) Someone experienced in the lower leagues & knows what is needed

(2) Capable of building a side on a (reduced) budget

(3) Proven at developing talent (Academy)

It'll be bitterly disappointing to go down, but there's the nucleus of a side capable of doing well in L1. The commentary I was listening to yesterday lambasted our attitude, the lack of fight/urgency, but praised our midfield. In attack, we're too dependent on CKR and didn't get any others in the penalty box. 

Who praised our midfield?