Get him gone.

Rev

9 minutes ago, SecretDave said:

Looking at that, why on earth did Mel sack McClaren the second time around? He was doing a brilliant job and had us around the top 10, despite being around the relegation zone when he took over. Ridiculous decision.

Because Rowett had suddenly become a world beater after being with a job for a few months and was about to join Norwich combined with us hitting a little rough patch under McClaren. 

It was one of a string of bad decisions made for the wrong reasons.

13 minutes ago, SecretDave said:

Looking at that, why on earth did Mel sack McClaren the second time around? He was doing a brilliant job and had us around the top 10, despite being around the relegation zone when he took over. Ridiculous decision.

I think we were on a very poor post xmas run (which has become a habit) and Mel was desperate to get promotion

6 minutes ago, SecretDave said:

I hope that Mac is helping.

Also looking at those figures, it goes to show that Wassall did a decent job, more than most gave him credit for. If we were to go down, he'd be a good suggestion to take over as manager I think. He would probably get the best out of the young players.

Wassell was one of those appointments that seemed to rub large sections of the fan base up wrongly from day 1 and so were eager to pounce on any fault. He made mistakes along the way but also got us playing some sublime football at times and I think should have been given a shot for the following season.

31 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

1) Steve McClaren (1st Spell): P 95 – W 51 – D 22 – L 22 – 54.26%

2) Darren Wassall (Interim): P 18 – W 9 – D 3 – L 6 – 50%

3) Steve McClaren (2nd Spell): P 29 – W 13 – D 7 – L 9 – 44.83%

4) Gary Rowett: P 60 – W 26 – D 18 – L 16 – 43.33%

5) Paul Clement: P 33 – W 14 – D 12 – L 7 – 42.42%

6) Frank Lampard: P 57 – W 24 – D 17 – L 16 – 42.11%

7) Nigel Clough: P 231 – W 76 – D 54 – L 101 – 32.9%

8 ) Phillip Cocu: P 65 – W 21 – D 18 – L 26 – 32.31%

9) Wayne Rooney: P 33 – W 10 – D 7 – L 16 – 30.3%

10) Nigel Pearson: P 14 – W 3 – D 5 – L 6 – 21.43%

Interesting stats. I didn't realise that Nigel Clough's win percentage was that low; barely any better than Cocu's. Admittedly Clough had a lot of stuff to deal with in the early years, but so did Cocu, and I doubt people will be coming on here in 8 years time saying "get Cocu back", "if only Cocu had been given more time", etc. I remember one poster claiming that if Nigel had been given more time we'd be a mid-table Premier League side by now. I mean, you can't prove we wouldn't be, and everyone's entitled to their opinion, but still. When I read that I almost coughed up a lung.

46 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

1) Steve McClaren (1st Spell): P 95 – W 51 – D 22 – L 22 – 54.26%

2) Darren Wassall (Interim): P 18 – W 9 – D 3 – L 6 – 50%

3) Steve McClaren (2nd Spell): P 29 – W 13 – D 7 – L 9 – 44.83%

4) Gary Rowett: P 60 – W 26 – D 18 – L 16 – 43.33%

5) Paul Clement: P 33 – W 14 – D 12 – L 7 – 42.42%

6) Frank Lampard: P 57 – W 24 – D 17 – L 16 – 42.11%

7) Nigel Clough: P 231 – W 76 – D 54 – L 101 – 32.9%

8 ) Phillip Cocu: P 65 – W 21 – D 18 – L 26 – 32.31%

9) Wayne Rooney: P 33 – W 10 – D 7 – L 16 – 30.3%

10) Nigel Pearson: P 14 – W 3 – D 5 – L 6 – 21.43%

worse than Cocu with largely the same team. Get him and Rosenior gone! We've sacked better managers for less 

57 minutes ago, Olton Ram said:

Interesting stats. I didn't realise that Nigel Clough's win percentage was that low; barely any better than Cocu's. Admittedly Clough had a lot of stuff to deal with in the early years, but so did Cocu, and I doubt people will be coming on here in 8 years time saying "get Cocu back", "if only Cocu had been given more time", etc. I remember one poster claiming that if Nigel had been given more time we'd be a mid-table Premier League side by now. I mean, you can't prove we wouldn't be, and everyone's entitled to their opinion, but still. When I read that I almost coughed up a lung.

I think some of that Cloughie sentiment is a bit more to do with him being perceived a bit more as: one of us...maybe?

I won’t lie, I’m a bit of a Nigel apologist and always want him to do well when I see him pop up at another club.

He absolutely turned our club around, from top to bottom, after inheriting an absolute mess. We might be in need of someone to do a similar job after this season ?

On 20/04/2021 at 21:29, Jimbo Ram said:

You can put him on gardening leave as long as you like and continue to pay him but if we sack him we will have to pay his contract up unless he accepts a reduced payment...

Doubt if he'd do that...

He probably needs every penny he can get.

Maybe if we had a whip round for impoverished multi millionaires! 

3 hours ago, Olton Ram said:

We did finish 10th last season with a 37% win percentage though.

In terms of PPG, there's very little separating Clough, Rooney and Cocu (1.22, 1.23 and 1.25 respectively)

Something must be happening.. Maybe I'm clutching at straws but last week 14th April, the club released a video interview on social media with Rooney and lots of training ground photos all about getting ready for Friday night at Blackburn.. This was a full 48 hours before the game.. This week? Nothing since the day after the Preston game. Just a focus on the u23s. I'm sure they would have been training today but it's all very quiet compared to normal? 

4 minutes ago, JMC said:

Something must be happening.. Maybe I'm clutching at straws but last week 14th April, the club released a video interview on social media with Rooney and lots of training ground photos all about getting ready for Friday night at Blackburn.. This was a full 48 hours before the game.. This week? Nothing since the day after the Preston game. Just a focus on the u23s. I'm sure they would have been training today but it's all very quiet compared to normal? 

All that cobblers will be put up tomorrow around 9.00am.

3 hours ago, Spanish said:

I think we were on a very poor post xmas run (which has become a habit) and Mel was desperate to get promotion

It’s another case though of Mel saying he wants X to happen then does Y. 

He told McClaren to get us clear of the relegation places and start to get us playing football again. 

So what does McClaren do? He spends the first few weeks trying to get us playing football but results stutter so he simply makes us hard to beat. Carson, Keogh, Pearce and Johnson were like granite until January. We zoom up the league to fifth. 

We then try and evolve and try to start playing more football, bringing in a link up striker in Nugent and a (yes, I know he was poo) controlling midfielder in De Sart. We try and open up and start conceding for fun. We drop to mid-table because McClaren tried to get us playing football again.

And he’s sacked!

1 hour ago, JMC said:

Maybe......training was taken by Mac today and it's all hush hush I Hope Please GIFuntil tomorrow ?

one thing that does my head in is every time we get the ball, the first thought is pass it back....or sideways. never forward. i don’t understand it. why do we pass it along the back 4 20 times then pass it to the keeper just to boot it up field! not one team ive seen does this. no teams centre halfs should have the most touches in a match. i feel the attacking intent has been coached out of them