Amari Morgan-Smith - Ilkeston Town

David

CASH-strapped Ilkeston Town are braced for a bid for their prized asset Amari Morgan-Smith from Derby County.

Morgan-Smith impressed Rams' boss Nigel Clough during a pre-season trial and is expected to seal a move to Pride Park, despite only signing an improved contract to stay at the New Manor Ground until 2012 this summer.

Robins' boss Kevin Wilson revealed Derby had not made an offer for the 21-year-old striker, whose prolific campaign in Blue Square North last season led to his international call-up for England C, and would not put a price on his head.

The sale of Morgan-Smith would help the financial problems at Ilkeston, who were issued a winding-up petition by HM Revenue and Customs over an unpaid tax bill of £47,000.

"Derby are very interested in him and a deal has still got to be sorted out. They have not made an offer, but we were told to expect something this week," said Wilson.

"He has done so well for us and deserves the move.

"He has got a bright future. I know it's frustrating for him that a deal has not been done yet, but he has got to be patient.

"It is moving in the right direction and we have no intention of standing in Amari's way because it is a great opportunity for him.

"But we value him highly and have got to get the right price for him."

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/football/Robins-braced-Rams-raid-star-striker/article-2496268-detail/article.html

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We will have to watch is temper if he signs, after the couple of friendlys with Derby we went back to Ilkeston and played for them against Hucknall Town (friendly match I must stress). Just before halftime they was 4-0 down, Morgan smith ran 30 yards (out of frustration) to tackle the hucknall town left back, to say we was late and high would be a understatement, not only did he take the left back out but also the linesman. The ref only booked him because it was a friendly he said, but Kevin Wilson did the decent thing and took him off at half time to keep the peace.

when we sign rubbish like this then yes

Have u seen him play? Tbh I can't see the harm, he not going to a replace a 1st team player(yet?). He going to cost a small fee, low wages, if it pays off then we have a good player on our books if not it be a great experience for the lad and it's cost Derby next to nothing. And fills that gap between the under 18 and reserve team

with all due respect the lad was released fom stockport county, he is 21, if he was any good he wouldn't be playing for ilkeston town at unibond level or whatever, he was at a professional club who deemed him not good enough, we need to wake up seriously, and if he isn't going to star this season why are we signing him? i would rather see our squad bolstered by players who could mmake a difference rather than players who wont

I was reading yesterday that Grimsby had a winger on trial from Spurs. He impressed whilst at the club, they thought he was a cracking player. They chose not to sign him as he's not what they are looking for at the moment, had they been in League 1 they would of signed him.

That little story was intended to show you that sometimes players are just not right for the club, it doesn't make them rubbish, it doesn't make them crap and saying they are just because they was once released by Stockport is utter rubbish Young Ram.

with all due respect the lad was released fom stockport county, he is 21, if he was any good he wouldn't be playing for ilkeston town at unibond level or whatever, he was at a professional club who deemed him not good enough, we need to wake up seriously, and if he isn't going to star this season why are we signing him? i would rather see our squad bolstered by players who could mmake a difference rather than players who wont

Do you know why he was relased? Maybe Stockport had enough strikers? Maybe couldn't agree terms, Stockport didn't see something in him and we do, he may what to play for a club closer to home and Blue Square north was step down he had to take, maybe a late bloomer like Ian Wright, we don't know the full story, but when Kevin Wilson pops up to Hucknall Town next time I will ask him

Charlie Austin 21, released by Reading as a kid for being to small, went on to play for semi-professional local clubs whilst working as a bricklayer. Swindon gave him a chance in 2009 and his first season scored 19 in 33 helping them to the League 1 play offs.

Stick that in your cake hole or any other hole you want!

i thought you said he was a fluke, also morgan smith was at a professional club RECENTLY, not as a child ect, he was let go from stockport because he wasn't good enough, yet we seem to think he is. We live in a fecking dreamworld and it's time we woke up from it, the fact is he was let go from stockport a year or two ago not as a young child like d.j campbell or charlie austin, also difference between league 1 and championship is massive

Kevin Doyle joined Reading when he was 21 from the dizzy heights of Cork City for £78,000. He went on to score 55 goals for Reading and now plays in the Premiership.

Have that one aswell!

had doyle been rejected by a league 2 club? i believe cork city are professional ilkeston town arn't

What have you seen personally from Morgan-Smith to state he's rubbish?

that he was rejected by a poor league 2 outfit and that he won a competition to earn a contract at stockport, it was later terminated after one appearence because he wasn't progressing

i have a mate who supports stockport county and they said that morgan smith tried hard but had little quality, also what have you seen of him daveo, is he any good, i also have friends who support ilkeston, they say he is really good in that league but the championship might be a too big a step up

Archived