Jump to content

Relegation watch


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Kernow said:

The reason why I don't want us to play for a draw, is because we're playing an opponent who absolutely have to win. If we were playing a mid-table side with nothing to play for, and knew a draw would still keep us safe, then maybe that would be the right plan.

However, I have not seen anything from this current set of players or coaching staff which suggests we would be able to set-up and have the mentality and organisation to stay firm for an entire 90 minutes. Us trying to hold back an onslaught of pressure is going to result in a goal conceded at some point, and then what? We suddenly have to do something that we also aren't very good at, clawing our way back in to a game.

When we're drawing, there's too many ways the table can swing rapidly out of our favour in the blink of an eye. If we can win this game then we don't need to worry about anybody else. I don't want to be level with Sheffield Wednesday and constantly checking to see if Rotherham have taken the lead in Cardiff for the whole game. That might happen in the 89th minute, and then we give ourselves no time to win our own game.

Worry about ourselves first rather than trying to do the bare minimum please.

This. We have to play to win on Saturday, and win by a couple. We can't hold onto a one nil or a draw so unless we are two up, I won't be at all confident on Saturday. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ken Tram said:

PS. I wasn't saying that it would be wonderful. And if we went bankrupt, I'm not sure we'd have to pay season ticket holders, or the expensive players, or the ex managers...

I wonder if our Spanish benefactor would still buy the club at a snip, if we were relegated; or if it is Championship dependent? 

New blood should give things a boost, and if he still comes in after relegation, then I think that that should give us hope.

No way Ken, much as though I would like to own the club my assets are not quite sufficient.  And my wife would kill me

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kernow said:

The reason why I don't want us to play for a draw, is because we're playing an opponent who absolutely have to win. If we were playing a mid-table side with nothing to play for, and knew a draw would still keep us safe, then maybe that would be the right plan.

However, I have not seen anything from this current set of players or coaching staff which suggests we would be able to set-up and have the mentality and organisation to stay firm for an entire 90 minutes. Us trying to hold back an onslaught of pressure is going to result in a goal conceded at some point, and then what? We suddenly have to do something that we also aren't very good at, clawing our way back in to a game.

When we're drawing, there's too many ways the table can swing rapidly out of our favour in the blink of an eye. If we can win this game then we don't need to worry about anybody else. I don't want to be level with Sheffield Wednesday and constantly checking to see if Rotherham have taken the lead in Cardiff for the whole game. That might happen in the 89th minute, and then we give ourselves no time to win our own game.

Worry about ourselves first rather than trying to do the bare minimum please.

Surely the primary reason we shouldn’t be playing for a draw is because it may not be enough.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Win, lose or draw on Saturday this has to be Rooney's last game in charge

He's shown nothing to warrant he deserves to be in charge next season & if I was the new owner I certainly wouldn't trust him with a penny of my money to fund the rebuild.

Can anyone name the last Derby County manager not called Paul Jewel who lost 6 on the bounce & kept his job?

Whatever division we are in we need an experienced manager with a proven system of play who knows the players he needs to make that system work

Forget all the Hollywood appointments lets make sure we get a manager who knows what he is doing whatever division we are in

Rooney still being in charge next season is a far bigger worry for me than whatever happens on Saturday

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Agreed. We can't keep a clean sheet so setting up to grind out a draw is totally pointless. 

much as I would love to take the game by the scruff of the neck we haven't shown the ability to maintain the intensity often becoming particularly fragile around 65 mins.  There will be many twists and turns but if we start a bit later have a few extended 'injury' breaks then we may have the chance to step it up later with the knowledge of what is going on elsewhere.  Going for it and conceding would be the worst outcome as we would all agree.  At the end of the game there will be a number of 'tell you so's'. but currently we can only guess what may be best. 

At kick off we will be in the best position of the 3 teams, 0-0 at half time is not a disaster no matter what Rovrum are up to.  If they are beating Cardiff by 2 goals Wendy will have noting to play for but a remote hope.  I have no confidence that we are anywhere good enough to play a high pressing game for anything longer than 35 or 40 mins.  mark Bannan out of the game and we are half way there

Link to post
Share on other sites

So now it is clear.

Roth won't win on Sat but they might draw, still not enough points even if we lose.

Wycombe won't pull off a miracle because even if they win and we lose GD would save us.

Therefore in my mind they are both down, and it really is Rams v Sheff Wed for the prize of staying up.

It's down to us, a point will be enough.

However, in order to secure the point we need to go forward, as we know we can on a good day, as often as possible, either to score or to keep the ball away from our net or both.

Sheff Wed will know that they have a task ahead, but they will also know how vulnerable we are at the back.  The fewer set pieces we concede in our half the better.  Another reason to keep it in their half as much as possible.

Therefore, we need a McClaren style performance, a 5-4 win is still a win and a 3-3 draw is still a draw.

I'm sticking to my previous prediction - a dazzling first half, 2-0 ahead at half time, then a rubbish 2nd half, Sheff Wed will score on about 70 mins, and then it's backs to the wall, a few scary moments but ultimately WE WILL STAY UP!

Keep the faith, brothers and sisters!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would not ever in any way want to depend on rotherham not winning in cardiff.

in the ordinary way of things, i'd expect cardiff to win or draw, and mick "last day leg breakers just show what good boys they are" Macarthy.

but it's also fate and cardiff are horrible like that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Spanish said:

much as I would love to take the game by the scruff of the neck we haven't shown the ability to maintain the intensity often becoming particularly fragile around 65 mins.  There will be many twists and turns but if we start a bit later have a few extended 'injury' breaks then we may have the chance to step it up later with the knowledge of what is going on elsewhere.  Going for it and conceding would be the worst outcome as we would all agree.  At the end of the game there will be a number of 'tell you so's'. but currently we can only guess what may be best. 

At kick off we will be in the best position of the 3 teams, 0-0 at half time is not a disaster no matter what Rovrum are up to.  If they are beating Cardiff by 2 goals Wendy will have noting to play for but a remote hope.  I have no confidence that we are anywhere good enough to play a high pressing game for anything longer than 35 or 40 mins.  mark Bannan out of the game and we are half way there

Totally agree. We need a Trollope on Cantona sort of performance from somebody.....!

Link to post
Share on other sites

We really should do it this time. It's massively in our favour.

Rotherham and Wednesday know they have to win. 

I don't think Rotherham will beat Cardiff which means all we have to do is draw. We're playing one of the worst teams in the league, surely we can get it over the line this time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I would not ever in any way want to depend on rotherham not winning in cardiff.

in the ordinary way of things, i'd expect cardiff to win or draw, and mick "last day leg breakers just show what good boys they are" Macarthy.

but it's also fate and cardiff are horrible like that.

Exactly.. let's also not forget that barely a month ago Sheffield Wednesday demolished Cardiff 5-0... worrying in terms of potential outcomes for both games.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Derby have been nervous for a while and have last match history in the league and playoffs. I'm not optimistic even by my miserable standards.

We need leaders on the pitch. Has to be Marshall, CKR, Clarke for starters. If Davies has one useable leg I'd play him as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rampage said:

I honestly cannot see Rooney wanting to manage in League I.

Will he have much choice? Relegating Derby county in his first job isn’t going to look great on his cv. He’s hardly going to get snapped up by Man U or Everton based in that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.