Jump to content

Relegation watch


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Not sure it is, Rotherham win and Wednesday have nothing to play for Saturday which gives us a distinct advantage. Rotherham then have match or better our result, and do this against Cardiff who are a tough side. A draw or loss Tuesday however keeps all 3 horses in the race. Let’s just hope and pray what ever happens we win Saturday. 

Like vs Birmingham? We might get a point, I'm hoping that will be enough. So Rotherham to lose on Tuesday.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Like vs Birmingham? We might get a point, I'm hoping that will be enough. So Rotherham to lose on Tuesday.

Different though, Brum weren’t mathematically safe at the time. Wednesday being down, players not being paid, players out of contract with nothing to play for etc etc is a huge advantage for us, even with us being utterly useless. I just think it’s better to have two teams not three with a chance to stay up. Anyway Tuesday is a huge game for all three teams. Moreover whatever happens let’s hope Rooney and the coaches leave our club at the final whistle Saturday. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Not sure it is, Rotherham win and Wednesday have nothing to play for Saturday which gives us a distinct advantage. Rotherham then have match or better our result, and do this against Cardiff who are a tough side. A draw or loss Tuesday however keeps all 3 horses in the race. Let’s just hope and pray what ever happens we win Saturday. 

Rotherham lose on Tuesday we just need a draw on Saturday....

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Topram said:

If we do go down I hope we go back to basics and start again, new manager and one that’s proven or one that’ll stop a free for all like at bolton, we need an Alex Neil type 

Good grief........you’re going to have some sections of our fan base pooing themselves!

The entitlement brigade are not going to know what’s hit them if we go down.

They’re still think we should be the Barcelona of the champ and they are happy to see quality Champ players leave because they don’t meet the standards these fans demand.

Look at the grief Curtis Davies and Bradley Johnson got because they weren’t deemed “ technically proficient”.

Now imagine this lot watching Alex Neil and a bunch of workhorses flogging their guts out in league 1. They’d hate every second of it 🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Not sure it is, Rotherham win and Wednesday have nothing to play for Saturday which gives us a distinct advantage. Rotherham then have match or better our result, and do this against Cardiff who are a tough side. A draw or loss Tuesday however keeps all 3 horses in the race. Let’s just hope and pray what ever happens we win Saturday. 

Can’t get behind that that idea, it means it’s not in our hands on Sunday. 

But I do appreciate the perspective. We can’t effect the result either way, so if Rotherham do win, there’s a small upside. And it would be a massive turn up if Rotherham could suddenly take 6pts from their last 2 games. Winning on Tuesday makes it seem very unlikely that they’d win again on Sunday.

But if they don’t win, then both Wednesday and Rotherham need a win on Sunday. We just need to contain Wednesday. Can they go all out attack without leaving gaps at the back? That’s not their style. Can we exploit those gaps?

I prefer our odds in that situation. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest, a Rotherham draw isn’t necessarily the worst thing mentality wise for us.

If Rotherham lose on Tuesday, then it’s back in our hands, with us only needing a point to guarantee safety. A Rotherham draw means we can stay up by getting a point, but it’s not guaranteed. The only way to ensure we stay up is to win.

I would much rather approach a game with an incentive to win, rather than an incentive to not lose. Sheffield Wednesday have no choice. They have to win. If we are playing for a draw, I simply cannot see a way where this group of players can hold off a barrage of pressure for an entire game. We’ll be too terrified to commit too many to scoring ourselves incase it backfires.

At least if Rotherham get a point at Luton, we’ll know we are walking a fine line by not winning. Whether that actually makes any difference, I don’t know. I have very little faith in this squad and management team to pull something out of the bag when it matters.

The best way to stay up no matter what the scenario is to go out to win. Sheffield Wednesday go to pieces when they go behind. We go to pieces when we take the lead... at least it’ll be good for the neutral hey?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Can’t get behind that that idea, it means it’s not in our hands on Sunday. 

But I do appreciate the perspective. We can’t effect the result either way, so if Rotherham do win, there’s a small upside. And it would be a massive turn up if Rotherham could suddenly take 6pts from their last 2 games. Winning on Tuesday makes it seem very unlikely that they’d win again on Sunday.

But if they don’t win, then both Wednesday and Rotherham need a win on Sunday. We just need to contain Wednesday. Can they go all out attack without leaving gaps at the back? That’s not their style. Can we exploit those gaps?

I prefer our odds in that situation. 

Just to be pedantic, it’s Saturday not Sunday 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

And Wednesday would need a win, different perspective. 

Also a different perspective if Rotherham draw at Luton and then beat Cardiff we then need to beat the Wendies, a really totally different perspective. Let’s keep it nice and simple and hope that all we need is a draw v Wednesday, that is a big enough challenge me thinks...

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Different though, Brum weren’t mathematically safe at the time. Wednesday being down, players not being paid, players out of contract with nothing to play for etc etc is a huge advantage for us, even with us being utterly useless. I just think it’s better to have two teams not three with a chance to stay up. Anyway Tuesday is a huge game for all three teams. Moreover whatever happens let’s hope Rooney and the coaches leave our club at the final whistle Saturday. 

Wednesday could play their U6’s and we probably still wouldn’t win. I’ve got no faith whatsoever in us getting anything against them... we just don’t have the bottle. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

@Millenniumramwas right about Pearson at Watford. Stuck to his guns, even when Watford went on a bit of a run. An impressive bit of nerve-holding.

I also said Mel Morris would see us in League One before he took us to the Premier League. I’m one game away from being right on that one, but I sure hope I’m not. I’m certainly not planning on bragging if I am.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

First bit or second? First bit is me taking the mick out of Millennium who is a properly sound lad, but I'm pretty sure he's also only been right once in 5 or 6 years.

The second bit refers to a silly argument from a while back buddy. Best left alone to be honest.

It was meant to be Arnold off 'Different Strokes' that's all 

What you talkin bout Willis !!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Kernow said:

To be honest, a Rotherham draw isn’t necessarily the worst thing mentality wise for us.

If Rotherham lose on Tuesday, then it’s back in our hands, with us only needing a point to guarantee safety. A Rotherham draw means we can stay up by getting a point, but it’s not guaranteed. The only way to ensure we stay up is to win.

I would much rather approach a game with an incentive to win, rather than an incentive to not lose. Sheffield Wednesday have no choice. They have to win. If we are playing for a draw, I simply cannot see a way where this group of players can hold off a barrage of pressure for an entire game. We’ll be too terrified to commit too many to scoring ourselves incase it backfires.

At least if Rotherham get a point at Luton, we’ll know we are walking a fine line by not winning. Whether that actually makes any difference, I don’t know. I have very little faith in this squad and management team to pull something out of the bag when it matters.

The best way to stay up no matter what the scenario is to go out to win. Sheffield Wednesday go to pieces when they go behind. We go to pieces when we take the lead... at least it’ll be good for the neutral hey?

Of course the downside of a Rotherham draw is that Wednesday will know all they can do is beat us and hope Rotherham don’t beat Cardiff. The margin of their victory over us would be irrelevant. So, arguably, if they went a goal up they could shut up shop, hang on for a narrow win and hope for a favourable result at Cardiff. Whereas, either a Rotherham win or defeat will mean they know goal difference may come into play. They might need at least a seven goal swing in their favour in Rotherham won one and lost one which isn’t completely out of the question. This would mean really going for it against us which could leave them exposed to the counter attack. Fortunately for them, they’re only playing Derby so the risk would be low 😥

I think, on balance, a Rotherham defeat has got to be the best outcome on Tuesday.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

I also said Mel Morris would see us in League One before he took us to the Premier League. I’m one game away from being right on that one, but I sure hope I’m not. I’m certainly not planning on bragging if I am.

It’s no secret that I was v cynical of people opening the “play off thread” after one shithousing win against who I forget and was beating the we need to be looking over our shoulder drum and did for a good while 

am I taking any pleasure from this? not in the bloody slightest, I only want one outcome from next weekend regardless of what I think / thought might happen. 
if we go down I’ll be in the top 3 of Derby county fans living the absolute nightmare living in Nottingham for some 30 years 

trust me we go down I won’t be bloody bragging about being right ... I’ll be in a room by myself drinking myself into the ground 

feel free to join me if the worst happens 

Infact this will be the last u hear from me on the subject it’s now about getting behind the lads abs preying 

We all want one thing and one thing only 

coy fk&&g rams!!!!!

Edited by NottsRam77
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

It’s no secret that I was v cynical of people opening the “play off thread” after one shithousing win against who I forget and was beating the we need to be looking over our shoulder drum and did for a good while 

am I taking any pleasure from this? not in the bloody slightest, I only want one outcome from next weekend regardless of what I think / thought might happen. 
if we go down I’ll be in the top 3 of Derby county fans living the absolute nightmare living in Nottingham for some 30 years 

trust me we go down I won’t be bloody bragging about being right ... I’ll be in a room by myself drinking myself into the ground 

feel free to join me if the worst happens 

 

Exactly, not sure where this baalocks about negative posters wanting to be proved right comes from. We’ve just been being realistic, it’s as simple as that. Absolutely no Derby fan wants to see this club go down. I desperately want to be proved wrong, but I can’t see us in the Championship next season.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.