Relegation watch

Spanish

4 minutes ago, Patrick Rams said:

Really? Big local Derby and Barnsley are at home desperate for the win to cement their play off position?And with Rotherham's recent gruelling schedule I wouldn't like to call that one.

I think they'll nick a point against Barnsley, they're set up well to deal with that kind of team tbh. 

10 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Boro will be up for it vs Sheff W because Warnock hates them

Barnsley could almost confirm playoffs if they beat a tired Rotherham in a local Derby

Birmingham will be pretty much safe so hopefully will play into our hands

All things that COULD work in our favour

And we will contrive to allow Brum a last minute goal costing us a point or two.

I genuinely think Sheffield Wednesday will survive or take it to the last day if we have not attained safety by then. 
 I did a huge bet today on us to go down. If we stay up happy days; if not then that’s that, at least I’ll be in pocket. 
I genuinely can see us losing every game and being relegated on goal difference. 

The Forest penalty in the 98th minute is very, very frustrating.

Birmingham would have been on 51 points, not mathematically safe yet, however they would have been 8 ahead of us so almost certainly would survive.

That goal has not only probably guaranteed Forest's safety, but also makes Saturday's game vs Birmingham a lot more important. The goal could have knocked their confidence, however they've done pretty well under Bowyer. Now we have a situation where we are 6 points behind them. GD is -18 for them, -20 for us. A one goal win would bring us to within 3 points of them and level on GD. If they lost their next two against Cardiff and Blackburn, we would likely need to beat Sheffield Wednesday to give us a good chance of finishing above them either on GD or even possibly goals scored.

This could be seen as a good thing, as it allows us another opportunity to catch a team above us, rather than try to stave off teams below us. However given the form of the two teams, and the heightened importance of this game for Birmingham, I think we're going to be in for a hell of a lot harder game than we would have been if they had held on.

Edited by Kernow

What we could do with this weekend -

Boro beat Sheff W

Barnsley beat Rotherham

We beat Birmingham

Bournemouth beat Brentford

Reading beat Swansea

Blackburn beat Huddersfield

That set of results puts Sheff Weds down, us 7pts clear, 1pt behind Huddersfield so maybe keep them in the mix & Brentford needing to beat Rotherham midweek in their game in hand to secure playoffs

3 minutes ago, Kernow said:

The Forest penalty in the 98th minute is very, very frustrating.

Birmingham would have been on 51 points, not mathematically safe yet, however they would have been 8 ahead of us so almost certainly would survive.

That goal has not only probably guaranteed Forest's safety, but also makes Saturday's game vs Birmingham a lot more important. The goal could have knocked their confidence, however they've done pretty well under Bowyer. Now we have a situation where we are 6 points behind them. GD is -18 for them, -20 for us. A one goal win would bring us to within 3 points of them and level on GD. If they lost their next two against Cardiff and Blackburn, we would likely need to beat Sheffield Wednesday to give us a good chance of finishing above them either on GD or even possibly goals scored.

This could be seen as a good thing, as it allows us another opportunity to catch a team above us, rather than try to stave off teams below us. However given the form of the two teams, and the heightened importance of this game for Birmingham, I think we're going to be in for a hell of a lot harder game than we would have been if they had held on.

On a positive note though its stopped their momentum as well as their run of clean sheets. Hogan went off injured too. Also, like you say a win puts us within 3pts of them but I still think they're safe.

Just now, DCFC1388 said:

On a positive note though its stopped their momentum as well as their run of clean sheets. Hogan went off injured too. Also, like you say a win puts us within 3pts of them but I still think they're safe.

Yeah there are positive and negative ways to look at it. To be honest it makes no difference if we finish 21st, 20th, 19th, wherever. Right now I'd much rather the teams we're coming up against have nothing to play for. That wouldn't have been the case for Birmingham tonight regardless, however the fact we can pull within 1 win of them must fire them up a bit more, surely?

Swansea are essentially playing for nothing other than being at home in the second-leg of the play-offs. But they are still the 4th best team in the league so far.

Sheffield Wednesday could have been relegated last night. They're still alive. They could be relegated on Saturday. If they're still alive, they'll have even more confidence. If they go in to the final day of the season still with the opportunity to stay up, then I really fear they will have more desire than we would be able to muster.

41 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Boro will be up for it vs Sheff W because Warnock hates them

Barnsley could almost confirm playoffs if they beat a tired Rotherham in a local Derby

Birmingham will be pretty much safe so hopefully will play into our hands

All things that COULD work in our favour

All we have to do now is get Steve Mac in for 3 games, and we could undeservedly stay in the championship. Go on Mel, you know it makes sense....